Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:29 AM

27 posts, read 38,607 times

Advertisements

Hello!! I am trying to decide if I should move to Sacramento or the bay area. I thought about Rocklin (because someone told me it is a great area) but not sure. I am going to Grad school in either sac or san fran and want to be sure that my interracial family will be safe. Also, when I think about California I think about a sunny fast-paced environment. This is important but not a deal breaker. A low crime inclusive atmosphere is high on my list. I would like to stay around 2500 for rent and don’t really care about the time it takes to commute. If anyone has suggestions please let me know!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 10:28 AM

888 posts, read 889,830 times
Sounds like you're all over the place on this one. For some, comparing San Francisco to Sacramento is like comparing a tofu burger to a steak burger. Honestly think you'll do better by pinning down the school because the housing decision will be easier to make. With regard to being safe, you'll be as safe as you can afford to be in Sacramento. Of course, exercising the normal precautions is necessary.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:17 AM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMomX2 View Post
Hello!! I am trying to decide if I should move to Sacramento or the bay area. I thought about Rocklin (because someone told me it is a great area) but not sure. I am going to Grad school in either sac or san fran and want to be sure that my interracial family will be safe. Also, when I think about California I think about a sunny fast-paced environment. This is important but not a deal breaker. A low crime inclusive atmosphere is high on my list. I would like to stay around 2500 for rent and don’t really care about the time it takes to commute. If anyone has suggestions please let me know!! Thank you!
I think you might to better if you continue in the thread you started in January:

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...l#post46980574

Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM

422 posts, read 396,512 times
Move to the Bay

Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 AM

27 posts, read 38,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think you might to better if you continue in the thread you started in January:

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...l#post46980574
Do you advice besides telling me to look in that thread 2sleepy? Which by the way, you never commented in that thread so do you have anything to offer?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:20 PM

572 posts, read 598,892 times
Are you choosing between SF State and Sac State Universities?

I live right by Sac State now and I used to live right by SF State in the Sunset district in SF. Both schools have diverse student populations and the areas around the schools are fine as far as safety goes. However both areas also have a lot of petty crime issues such as car break-ins and theft. You are not going to find neighborhoods in either place where you can leave your doors unlocked or a purse on your car seat and not have to worry.

There are a ton of mixed raced couples with mixed race kids in Sacramento. I wouldn't imagine you would feel uncomfortable as far as that aspect goes just about anywhere in Sacramento or San Francisco. The further out suburbs of Roseville or Rocklin are less diverse than the areas closer to Sacramento but still don't think it would be an issue out there.

San Francisco is A LOT more expensive and competitive for housing than Sacramento. $2500 will get you vastly different accommodations in one place versus the other. San Francisco life will be much more fast paced than Sacramento. The weather in San Francisco is a lot cooler than Sacramento in the summer - there are a lot more temperature extremes in Sacramento (colder in the winter and hotter in the summer).

The coastal areas are a lot easier to explore from San Francisco - the mountains are a lot more accessible to Sacramento.

If it's a temporary move for a couple of years and you have the money I'd recommend living in San Francisco. It's one of the best cities in the world. If you are looking for a more traditional middle class life, a little easier and a little slower with the family in tow I"d choose Sacramento.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:06 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
If you want sunny, don't move to San Francisco or the near East Bay (Richmond-Berkeley-Oakland); they're foggy in the summer. The far East Bay--like the Concord area--and Sacramento get the sunny summers.

I was kind of depressed the first summer I moved to SF from Sacto; it wasn't until I visited Walnut Creek that I realized I was missing the sun.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Which of the two schools you are considering for graduate school has the best program, faculty and job placement in your field?

That should be your number one factor to consider if the move is primarily for grad school.

After you've figured that out, take a close look at the financial awards (if any) you've received from each school.

If you will have to take out loans to pay for graduate school (which may or may not be the case), you will need to also weigh the return on investment of taking out more loans for a better program (or vice versa). Or, taking out more loans to live in a better area.

Once you've weighed those factors, take a look at the cost of living in both areas. You will have a better chance of snagging a place to live in a safe, family friendly area if your budget is above the MEDIAN rent in the area. If your budget is below the Median, then you will probably need to make more compromises (i.e., a longer commute to school, smaller place, less desirable neighborhood).

But, making those compromises *might* be worthwhile if the program is substantially better, and has a potentially greater payoff in your ability to find a job with your degree.

Do try to visit both areas before making your choice, preferrably with your husband and your kids so you can all see where you feel most comfortable.

In the end only you and your family can decide which program -- and location -- is going to work best for your career goals, educational interests, and family needs.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM

3,465 posts, read 5,260,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
If you want sunny, don't move to San Francisco or the near East Bay (Richmond-Berkeley-Oakland); they're foggy in the summer. The far East Bay--like the Concord area--and Sacramento get the sunny summers.

I was kind of depressed the first summer I moved to SF from Sacto; it wasn't until I visited Walnut Creek that I realized I was missing the sun.
I grew up in Walnut Creek and was so excited when I was going to start college in Berkley, as I was looking forward to the fog and cold. My euphoria lasted about 4 days. If you are not used to that, the lack of sun can get to you. For that reason alone, I would choose Sacramento as well.:-)

Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 PM

187 posts, read 206,308 times
Median rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in San Francisco is $4,500. In your position, I would choose Sac. After you graduate (depending on your field of expertise), you can look for opportunities in SF if you're still interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento