Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:59 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogexx View Post
Chico is definitely a cute little town. With a big town vibe. I lived there for a number of years before moving to sac. Yes, definitely live in chico. The towns down 99 are absolutely horrid. Very drug infested, very rural, very boring. There are ghetto neighborhoods in chico tho so watch out, assuming it matters. I lived in the ghetto, didnt mind. W. 5th St. & Oak. My neighbor was shot RIGHT outside of my front door. After that I moved. Anyways check out "BrickWorks" its a pretty cool night club, they have lots of good live music. Another place thats pretty hip is a place called The Naked Lounge. Good coffee! The college students are pretty laid back, they don't bother much. Not many punks, well that ive encountered. I highly recommend Chico, it was just too small for me. But the fact that on any holiday you can walk around downtown with a drink and the cops wont give you any ****. This was 5 yrs ago, but Im hopeful that the city is still pretty laid-back. I don't know. If you're from LA it will take some time to get use to such small surroundings. 3 lanes randomly throughout the town and highways are about as big as they get. Chico is the only place I have ever seen that you can wake up at 7am and on your way to work see see guys sitting on their front lawn drinking beer. Heh....Chico's a+
I disagree that the towns south of Chico on 99 are absolutely horrid. Oroville isn't the best, but there are other towns. I'm quite fond of the quaintness of Gridley. It's a tiny town, mostly farmers and migrant workers, but a nice little town nonetheless with small-town pride. Drugs are everywhere. However, you do notice it more in the small towns. I'd still stay away from Oroville though. I taught in Gridley and loved the students, and the staff there is great. If you like the slower pace of life and small, farm towns, you might not hate the towns off 99. Warning, it's ridiculously hot in the summers, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 PM

111 posts, read 466,444 times
If you like the slower pace of life and small, farm towns, you might not hate the towns off 99. Warning, it's ridiculously hot in the summers, though

indeed, I just think those types of towns are for older people. 35+ prefer those kinds of towns, I'd be amazed if any 18-29 yr old would feel content living in any of those towns.. *shrugs* I'd kill myself within a month. The thing that bothers me most is everything closes so early. If I want to go grocery shopping at midnight....well.....you cant do it...it isnt possible.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
What are your opinons of the schools around Chico? I heard paradise has a wonderful 'charter' school.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM

81 posts, read 357,046 times
I am considering Chico as my next living location. Looking into houses recently on the internet. I noticed on google maps that some of the houses are located right next to large agricultural fields (they look like fruit orchards from the satellite picture) that are right in the middle of town (I am not talking about the fields on the edge of town). My question is: Are these "in-town fields" eventually ALL going to be converted into housing? Or are they zoned in some way to prevent this?

The reason I ask is that I am interested in buying one of these houses. But I do not want to buy, and then 9 months later find out I am living next to a housing construction site for the next 18 months (dusty, loud, etc.).

Any Chico insiders know about this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
For Volleyballer-
There are a few great loft type places in downtown Chico - look into a building on the corner of 6th and Main -new building. Used to be places between 3rd and 4th in the buildings on Broadway on the west side of the block as well. I had a college professor who live in a loft that he had set up a tennis court in - it was that large. Chico can fufill the dream of a slower lifestyle/pace along with a connection to the rich nature of the Sacramento Valley and pretty good culture at the university - balance. Lots of very good willed people there.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 92,393 times
I love Chico, I go to school here and came from Grass Valley so I appreciate its small town atmosphere. Farmers markets, downtown bars, sac river, bear hole, BIDWELL, Lake Oroville, etc. This place doesn't get much better IMO. Definitely don't live downtown or anywhere near college students unless you like the atmosphere of drunk kids walking around at all hours of the night. Like someone said earlier, go to the east part of town.

There are some good school options, I volunteer at Citrus Elementary, it doesn't look like much but the kids and teachers are GREAT.

Stay away from the the ghetto by North Cedar and any streets west of the tracks. This is the cheap apartment housing that houses some shady characters.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
Unhappy Chico, is it safe, what area is best !!

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on Chico...Our family currently lives in Morro Bay Ca, a quiet little retirement beach community on the central coast of California. We are looking to relocate for grad school. We have two toddlers, and are looking for a nice, quiet, safe neighborhood with NO CRIME !! Does this exist in Chico? I have heard of drugs and crime in a lot of posts, is this something that can be avoided since it's such a small town? I need neighborhood suggestions, safe and quiet with reasonable walking distance to places or things as well. Could go rural too it it's safer, all suggestions or comments very much appreciated, thank you.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM

107 posts, read 248,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
I disagree that the towns south of Chico on 99 are absolutely horrid. Oroville isn't the best, but there are other towns. I'm quite fond of the quaintness of Gridley. It's a tiny town, mostly farmers and migrant workers, but a nice little town nonetheless with small-town pride. Drugs are everywhere. However, you do notice it more in the small towns. I'd still stay away from Oroville though. I taught in Gridley and loved the students, and the staff there is great. If you like the slower pace of life and small, farm towns, you might not hate the towns off 99. Warning, it's ridiculously hot in the summers, though.
Why stay away from Oroville? More shopping than the smaller towns, and close to the Lake plus more. Oroville area has a population of around 60,000, but there is only 14,000 within city limits. Get to know Oroville, you will probably like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento