Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 04:32 PM

8,936 posts, read 11,722,206 times

Advertisements

How would you handle this? My back room has a side door that faces the neighbor's backyard. This guy built a giant playground for his four kids to play. The kids have been throwing balls over my yard for months. The guy even mentioned that and sort of apologized once. Today I went to the backyard to mow the lawn and saw that the outer part of the glass door is broken into tiny pieces. There was a soccer ball close by. The neighbor is a jerk that smokes pot and blasts his music all the times. What should I say to him? I know he is gonna to deny that his kids had anything to do with the broken glass door. Since I didn't see it happen and have no video evidence of it. What recourse do I have?

In the meantime I am going to put up some kind of a barrier -- a mesh fence or something like that -- that can stop objects from hitting my door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:29 PM

10,859 posts, read 7,278,325 times
According to an episode of "The People's Court," parents aren't liable for accidental damages by their kids, so you probably can't force him to pay. Of course, reality might be different from reality TV.

However, you could approach your neighbor with the ball, and explain that it seems to have broken your door, and you'd appreciate it if he could pay for all or part of the repair. Be friendly and low-key, and be ready to take no for an answer.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,597,261 times
Go to small claims if reason doesn't work.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 AM

600 posts, read 563,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
According to an episode of "The People's Court," parents aren't liable for accidental damages by their kids, so you probably can't force him to pay. Of course, reality might be different from reality TV.

However, you could approach your neighbor with the ball, and explain that it seems to have broken your door, and you'd appreciate it if he could pay for all or part of the repair. Be friendly and low-key, and be ready to take no for an answer.

According to judge judy they are!

Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 PM

165 posts, read 148,149 times
My suggestion: I'd follow _steiconi's_ advice about talking to the neighbor to see what he says. If you don't get the response you want from him, then do some research to see if this is something that could be tried and hold up in small claims court. Also talk to your neighbor about creating a higher fence between your yards to hopefully prevent more balls from coming into yours. Perhaps you just need to add another foot or two to the top of the existing fence, or put up a new fence entirely. This is something you'd need to discuss with your neighbor, particularly with regard to cost. I think your neighbor would be liable for paying for half the cost of the fence improvement, since it divides both your yards. But it's necessary to talk with him before embarking on improvements and draw up a paper contract regarding the payment before you get started. If need be, perhaps that's another issue to bring to small claims court, just to ensure the fence improvements are accomplished to deter any further incidents of balls on your property.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,990,167 times
I would try to talk it over with dude first.

Kids will be kids and balls will always fly into neighbors yards.

Eventually the kids grow out of it. Who knows, he might just pay you on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento