Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,323 times

Advertisements

Good Day everyone,

I am a single 38yo chick looking forward to move her Hi-tech company in California and presently looking for a place to live and to move the company along.
Before thinking about coming in Sacramento, I have looked into SanFrancisco (but expensive for nothing), Oakland (not too sure about the neighbourghoods), SanDiego (might be a good fit, but still expensive)
I have read many threads about the living in Sacramento, it seems that most peeps are looking for houses which is really not my cup of tea since I will be leaving a house to go live into a Loft (that's the plan). So, I am actually looking at a couple of spots on the grid.
I am interrested into finding a nice/quiet neightbourghood but nightlife full and be able to be close to everthing without having to drive and be able to take a walk at night worries free.

Is Downtown (or middletown, close to Capitol Park) a good choice ?

If it isn't, put yourself in my shoes... and if you were single, looking to have some fun, willing to spend between 400K and 500K on a loft and you could choose any places in Cali, where would it be ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

Trin

Last edited by Trinity_Can; 03-09-2008 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Fixing some emoticon problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 PM

175 posts, read 795,575 times
Default Sac and Nightlife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity_Can View Post
Good Day everyone,

I am a single 38yo chick looking forward to move her Hi-tech company in California and presently looking for a place to live and to move the company along.
Before thinking about coming in Sacramento, I have looked into SanFrancisco (but expensive for nothing), Oakland (not too sure about the neighbourghoods), SanDiego (might be a good fit, but still expensive)
I have read many threads about the living in Sacramento, it seems that most peeps are looking for houses which is really not my cup of tea since I will be leaving a house to go live into a Loft (that's the plan). So, I am actually looking at a couple of spots on the grid.
I am interrested into finding a nice/quiet neightbourghood but nightlife full and be able to be close to everthing without having to drive and be able to take a walk at night worries free.

Is Downtown (or middletown, close to Capitol Park) a good choice ?

If it isn't, put yourself in my shoes... and if you were single, looking to have some fun, willing to spend between 400K and 500K on a loft and you could choose any places in Cali, where would it be ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

Trin
Haha... Nightlife in Sac? You are kidding right?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Midtown (rather than "middletown") may be what you're looking for.

There really aren't any for-sale condo options downtown yet (within the central business district.) The CBD is surrounded by residential neighborhoods within the Grid, that are kind of all collectively known as "midtown" as well as by other neighborhood names (Southside Park, Poverty Ridge, Mansion Flat, Boulevard Park, etc.) Most of these neighborhoods are filled with historic homes of 1870s-1930s vintage, big trees, and parks. Some of the neighborhoods are still a little rough around the edges but none are particularly dangerous. Others are downright elegant.

There are currently no high-density condo towers in the central city. A recent mid-rise project, the L Street Lofts, just opened a bit east of downtown and that might be your cup of tea--close to a gaggle of restaurants and other entertainment.

Despite Alisande's cynicism, there is some nightlife in Sacramento, but sometimes it takes a little digging to find. Once you know where to go, it's easy to fill up your social calendar to overflowing here.

Personally, I'd take a look at some of the condo projects near 21st and S Street. One is called Whiskey Hill Lofts, there's another across the street but the name escapes me (it is above Tuli Bistro, one of the hottest new restaurants in town.) It is located in a neighborhood called Poverty Ridge, mostly historic Victorian homes and a few apartments. The neighborhood itself is fairly quiet, but within a mile there are a couple of dozen bars, many many restaurants, several nightclubs, and quite a bit of boutique shopping. It's pretty safe by city standards.

There's a project going up a block away at 21st and T called Tapestri Square, selling 1200 sf townhomes for around $420K, and a project called (I think) Alchemy by New Faze Development on R Street between 25th and 26th.

Really, I'd suggest jet-setting down here and walking around for a couple of days to get the lay of the land. Either you'll run screaming or you'll fall in love with it.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,797 times
I would suggest Midtown as well. Great neighborhoods and a decent nighlife. If you want some quiet just don't live on J street-can be a tad noisy. Also check out East Sac around Alhambra.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 8,323 times
Thanks for your feedback guys, it is really appreciated... I have to admit that the real would certainly be to go and look around on site and that's true I will see for sure in a small amonth of time, if I am going to like it or not.

At this point, is there anything that would compare to Sac in the whole california in terms of quietness and cost of living ?

Thanks again )

Stefany

Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,053 times
Have you considered San Jose, or surrounding areas (Fremont, Sunnyvale, Milpitas)? Even South San Francisco (vs. in the heart of the city) or south of that. That might be better for a hitech co. Cost of living is a little higher in terms of rent for Silicon Valley, but it may be a better choice than Sacramento. You may find a little cheaper rent in Fremont.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:49 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
You don't want the South Bay area or Fremont, it is very suburban. I think midtown Sac would be a good option. I would also look into Oakland or Berkeley. You should make a similar thread in the san francisco forum. Oakland has a lot of sketchy areas, but there are also some cool neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento