Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM

42,717 posts, read 25,874,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
So from October to March is long sleeve and long pants?
I've lived in Northern California for most of my life and it seems like it gets noticeably colder right around Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 10:17 AM

330 posts, read 427,986 times
October is almost perfect for most of the month, it’s a shorts and t shirt month. It was 81° on November 1st this year.

It was in the 70’s for 10 days in February this year too. It’s “cold” from late November to mid February by my estimation but I grew up in Scotland.

And the supposition that the winters are wet is ludicrous to me.

Winters are short, mild, mostly sunny and dry.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,201,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Well coming from San Diego it gets FREEZING COLD here! It has been 30s lately have to use heat at night and in early mornings and wear a heavy parka to work. But yeah if you are from midwest, Canada or east coast it is not cold to these people.
Hey, San Diego gets cold too, not as often maybe, but I was just in Walnut Creek for the holidays, and the weather was exactly the same as in Scripps Ranch where I live, that being 30s and 40s at night and around 60 during the day. Inland San Diego has been having frost advisories for the past few nights. And the funny thing is, San Diegans will still wear shorts and flip-flops when it's 40 degrees out, but when they go to another city, they'll bundle up in the same temperature. I think part of it is psychological... :-)

Old 12-30-2018, 01:56 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,842 times
The geography of the Central Valley also adds to the more Chillier Winters compared to places like L.A,San Diego or San Francisco.

The Mountains surrounding the Central Valley shields it from the moderating effects of the Pacific Ocean,and also the Cold Air from the Mountain Tops sinks into the Valley,so the winter highs of 40's and 50's are common and those temps feels much colder when it's foggy/cloudy.

Evenings do occasionally drop into the 30's and 20's,especially as you head further out into the more rural areas the temps do get colder and frost does occur often in the Central Valley.

Yup the Winters are not like the Midwest or The East Coast,but by California Standards the Central Valley Winters are noticeable...I had a friend that lived in Ventura and moved to The Central Valley,and she said when she lived in Ventura she never got to use her new winter coat until she moved here,especially during the evenings and early mornings.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:44 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,932,505 times
Central valley doesn't get true winters. You get some days that feel like winter and some days that feel like fall. Winters are trending warmer as time goes on, so youre now seeing less difference between coastal and central valley temps as time goes on(example-fresno and san jose had almost exact November-december temps this year)

40 degree highs are not common anymore. Only the Redding area has to deal with a lot of those.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:15 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,009,786 times
I remember my dear late Aunt writing us years ago saying they had an extremely severe cold spell (in Sacramento.) I recall she said it killed some of the area's eucalyptus trees among other tender trees. This would have been some time in the '70s.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:36 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,512,480 times
You can use this website to look up almost any city in the world, and their monthly average temperatures.
https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...F/date/2018-12

Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,542,315 times
not coastal san diego where I used to live we may get 40 degrees lows on rare occasions but usually 50-60s in winter. Here in Sacramento it is not chilly it is FREEZING! To me anything below 65 degrees is COLD and below 50 FREEZING my a$$ off. I had to buy a new coat today after zippers broke on my old one. I hate that stupid word chilly by the way that means not cold so WTF do people use dumb words like chilly? Sacramento is FREEZING A$$ cold.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:49 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,898,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
not coastal san diego where I used to live we may get 40 degrees lows on rare occasions but usually 50-60s in winter. Here in Sacramento it is not chilly it is FREEZING! To me anything below 65 degrees is COLD and below 50 FREEZING my a$$ off. I had to buy a new coat today after zippers broke on my old one. I hate that stupid word chilly by the way that means not cold so WTF do people use dumb words like chilly? Sacramento is FREEZING A$$ cold.
Again, alot of San Diegans or ex San Diegans seem to handle minus 30 degrees in Chicago or Montana really well. What's up with that?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,974,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Again, alot of San Diegans or ex San Diegans seem to handle minus 30 degrees in Chicago or Montana really well. What's up with that?
Because half of San Diego residents grew up in the Upper Midwest/North East
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento