Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 10:10 AM

490 posts, read 837,388 times

Advertisements

I would like to help someone who is having trouble finding a new place to rent due to low income and a disability. She receives monthly checks for about $900 and can pay around $400-$450/mo. I've looked into some options like YWCA housing for women, and it falls within her budget but there is a wait list.

Just wondering if there are similar housing options for folks like her that don't have such wait lists that could take years to get to the top of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 08:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
First, I just want to be sure that you don't get yourself enmeshed with a needy person beyond normal boundaries. There are lots of needy people out there who are looking for someone to take care of them or involve them in drama, and who are not really ready to take any responsibility for their own problems.

That said, it's about looking for affordable housing they will qualify for. If it's not in Sacramento, they may find it in Elk Grove, or as far as Redding or Crescent City.

Finding affordable housing can be a full-time job. I did it, but I had to move from the SF Bay Area first to Redding, CA, then to Crescent City CA (which I could have moved to in the first place, had I known), and then eventually porting a Section 8 voucher back to San Jose. This process took a lot of time, filling out applications, making phone calls, and moving out of the area I wanted to live for 3 1/2 years, before I got a Section 8 voucher and eventually ported it back to San Jose.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, are you sure you want to take on this person's problems? Are they the type to fill out tons of applications and keep at it day after day, for years, until they finally get affordable housing? And are they willing to move far away from where they really want to live until they can move back, even if it takes several years?

Or do they just want to move onto your couch and eat your groceries for the rest of their lives, while pretending they're trying?

In my experience trying to teach people how to do what I have done - my bet is the last sentence. They want you to take care of them, and they'll fake that they're trying as long as they can get away with it. Then, they'll look for the next sucker to "help" them find affordable housing, which is really that person's own housing.

Good on you for having a good heart, but what you probably need here are solid boundaries. Sorry, can't let you stay with me, but here's a print out of places you can call. Don't let them move in. You'll just have to kick them out. And it will s*ck.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:25 PM

490 posts, read 837,388 times
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to take on anyone else's problems. Just thought if there was some unconsidered resource I could point to, I could at least do that. I found a YWCA women's housing bu t there's a wait list. And the person doesn't want to really go out of town, so that limits their options. I figured a few inquiries wouldn't hurt, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento