Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buy home in what town in Butte County
Magalia 2 11.76%
Chico 7 41.18%
Paradise 7 41.18%
Other community 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 AM

34 posts, read 47,759 times

Advertisements

Just read in my Neighborhood Site, In USA News, Chico CA. made it as one of the fastest growing crime cities in America. They listed the top 25 cities, and Chico is 19th! I live in a nice area across the street from Bidwell Park and the burglaries are on the increase. And it isn't all from the homeless. Neighbors have Camera's showing people coming to the house and many are not homeless. (dressed clean and driving cars or expensive bikes) I have had packages stolen from my front door 3 times during the day time. On my street Cars have been broke into as many as 4 times this last year. The crime has been done from back yards and garages. There are some house burglaries also. One incident male neighbor came outside with his friend, (male) at 4 am and found two guys in their Cars and only verbally confronted them and the criminals pulled knives!. They rode off on their BMX bikes and were angry because they were verbally confronted and came back that early morning and broke out the back windows of the neighbors cars/truck! These robbers are all dressed in clean Ninja like outfits, with faces covered. Chico is Not the nice looking Mulberry USA town anymore. This USA article listed Chico as having 19.9% Poverty rate-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 11:36 AM

130,293 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Golden Sunset joins City Data to tell us how miserable Paradise became. Supposedly lived here for 30 years. Well, we only moved here in 2015, after three separate visits, and I find that post completely, 100%, I mean one hudred percent wrong.
I agree, Golden Sunset makes it seem like one large opium den, which it is not. I have lived here for just under 2 years, & I have not noticed all the problems, that poster mentions. Of course some people smoke pot, but I challenge anyone to tell me a town in the USA where there is no pot smokers. I also do not see crazed druggies walking around, like I did when we went to San Francisco, & lived there. I am not afriad to walk at night, except I don't due to lack of sidewalks & inadequate street lighting.
Apparently, there are no jobs, that is why it is good for retirees.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
Cosmo, thanks for the update.
We don't live in Chico and all I know comes from reading Nextdoor and watching TV news twice a day.
Compared to Redding Chico is still Mayberry revisited, and Paradise is much safer, and Magalia is even better.

What I see is a major lack of Police presence or their lack of aggressive policing. We can go weeks and weeks driving around in Paradise and Chico without encountering a single police car.
I spent some time talking to a home owner right next to the Sycamore Pool in Chico. He is the one with all the signs and flags on his fence. Nice, interesting older gentleman. He told me the park around Sycamore Pool isn't safe after dark. Calling the police doesn't help much, they are afraid to getting sued for civil-rights violation and rather spend their shift on writing speeding tickets; less hassle, more money for the city. It would be great if a member of the Chico or Paradise PD could add to this post.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:33 PM

113 posts, read 159,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Cosmo, thanks for the update.
We don't live in Chico and all I know comes from reading Nextdoor and watching TV news twice a day.
Compared to Redding Chico is still Mayberry revisited, and Paradise is much safer, and Magalia is even better.

What I see is a major lack of Police presence or their lack of aggressive policing. We can go weeks and weeks driving around in Paradise and Chico without encountering a single police car.
I spent some time talking to a home owner right next to the Sycamore Pool in Chico. He is the one with all the signs and flags on his fence. Nice, interesting older gentleman. He told me the park around Sycamore Pool isn't safe after dark. Calling the police doesn't help much, they are afraid to getting sued for civil-rights violation and rather spend their shift on writing speeding tickets; less hassle, more money for the city. It would be great if a member of the Chico or Paradise PD could add to this post.
If anyone actually believes this is the reason police don’t show up to calls is watching way too much fake news. 9 times out of 10 the reason police are late at showing up to calls is that they are probably understaffed/underfunded and don’t have enough officers working to respond. That old guy probably has never voted yes once to increase taxes for public services like this.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:57 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
Our property tax is about equal for a month's gross income for us and it goes up automatically every year - we don't need to lift a finger or vote for it.
There aren't enough police because the money goes for the pension fund and social services, for taking care of the homeless and the bullet train.
Road repair, crime prevention isn't a priority in California.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM

82 posts, read 94,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree, Paradise took some getting used too, I still detest all the long beards

But I am kinda quirky myself, so I am ok with a quirky town.
Do you mean beards as in hippies or beards as in lumberjacks and mountain folk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento