Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfield/Suisun City is part of which region?
San Francisco Bay Area 11 78.57%
Sacramento Valley 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM

522 posts, read 737,476 times

Advertisements

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/solano-...en-bay-valley/

Interesting article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
The article was more interesting than I assumed it would be. Thanks for the link.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
The article was more interesting than I assumed it would be. Thanks for the link.
No problem!

Old 12-08-2017, 02:30 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
Yuck! It's only Fairfield. Let the bay have it. Do you guys consider vacaville or davis to be part of the bay? Some people do.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:57 AM

In my view, from a city perspective, Benicia and Vallejo are definitely Bay Area, without any question. Fairfield and Suisun could be considered a gateway to both the Bay and the Valley, while Vacaville is not the Bay at all. It's a Sacramento suburb in my view.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
In my view, from a city perspective, Benicia and Vallejo are definitely Bay Area, without any question. Fairfield and Suisun could be considered a gateway to both the Bay and the Valley, while Vacaville is not the Bay at all. It's a Sacramento suburb in my view.
I agree with you. Fairfield is both the Bay and Sac, lets say 2/3 the Bay, 1/3 Sac.

Vacaville is the opposite 2/3 Sac; 1/3 the Bay. Dixon is all Sac.

Davis is All Sac. Davis has bay area students, but it has a lot of SoCal students as well, that doesn't make it part of LA. Davis also has a lot of Sac Area students, and a lot of international students, and students from all over the country. Non-students that reside in Davis, mostly work in Davis and the Sacramento area.

It's funny how the bay area claims Davis, the only place or thing they will claim about Sacramento, even though it's sits in the heart of the Sacramento Valley, it's only 9 miles miles from West Sacramento, and 12 miles from downtown Sacramento. Remember, Davis's huge medical campus and teaching hospital is in Sacramento.

Like Fairfield, there are two other cities that one could say are BOTH the Bay and the Valley. That would be Stockton and Tracy.

Stockton is very bay area(in a bad way) yet it sits in the San Joaquin Valley. It has the highest workers who commute to the bay from the valley. Of the Valley cities, Stockton is one of the closest cities to the bay.

Tracy is very much a Valley city and it sits on the western edge of the Valley but because it is so close to the bay especially the Livermore Valley it has a lot bay area commuters/workers.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
I don't consider Fairfield as part of either area. I think of it as part of the area from Vallejo to Vacaville, with Fairfield and Vacaville having a strong influence from both Sacramento and the Bay Area. I also think being part of the Bay Area vs Sacramento is a silly mindset.

I also remember about 10 to 15 years ago there was a group of people in Davis who thought that being considered part of Sacramento wasn't good enough for them, so they insisted Davis was part of the Bay Area even though you can see Downtown Sacramento if you stood out in an open field in Davis.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:51 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I I also think being part of the Bay Area vs Sacramento is a silly mindset.
I completely agree. It's really Bay people that have a problem understanding how well connected they both are for various different reasons.

The Sac/Bay Area (NorCal) including the whole Sacramento Valley, and the Northern San Joaquin Valley is "NorCal".

The Sac/Bay Area is really become like SoCal in that SoCal from Santa Barbara to San Diego, the Beaches to the Palms Springs Desert Communities has always has been thought of as one area, one entity -- "Southern California" (SoCal).

"SoCal" has always been the area I just described and Southern Californians have always understood this and understood their connection. Yes, of course, there are distinctions like the OC vs. LA., the San Fernando Valley vs. LA Basin, San Diego's independence and disconnection from LA, and so on, the distinctions between other large cities in SoCal like Long Beach, Pasadena, Anaheim, for example....But there has always been this connection that they all are "SoCal", always has been. Back in the day, when even the City of LA had huge gaps between Hollywood, Downtown LA, and Santa Monica....it was all Southern California. When all the Beach cities and towns were clearly separate with huge gaps between them it was all Southern California. Even back in the Old Hollywood Days(1920-30's) Hollywood down to Laguna Beach (65 miles away) it was all considered as "Southern California", one entity. This is when huge farms separated all the SoCal cities and towns; it was still all considered as "Southern California", one entity.

"NorCal" has never really had this strong identity until the last 15-20 years and still you have your Bay snobs that choose not to understand this. San Francisco has always been provincial and still is.

Sorry for the mini-rant......LOL.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
It doesn't have an identity to me. If you're in mid Fairfield it looks exactly like Sacramento and is just as hot. I don't know where they got that 89 degree average from.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:20 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post

Same it was interesting to see how the different meterological and agricultural groups viewed themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento