Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 20,266 times

Advertisements

The cities have a lot of hills on the eastern ends of town. I think most people easily will consider Loomis and El Dorado Hills to be part of the foothills, but I'm curious to what people over here think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 07:41 PM

231 posts, read 250,851 times
No. Rocklin is like a suburb of Roseville and Folsom like a suburb of Sacramento. I can't speak for Loomis but most people in EDH don't consider themselves to be part of the foothills. And people further up the hill definitely don't consider EDH to be part of the foothills.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
There's no sharp dividing line that says exactly where the foothills start. It's a matter of terrain and culture. Along I-80, I'd say somewhere near Newcastle, as you approach 1,000 feet in elevation. For Hwy 50 I'd say near Bass Lake Road, at the top of the grade.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:10 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
The foothills are part of the Sacramento metro area, and close enough to Sacramento to be suburban communities--people commute from Auburn to Sacramento, and that's definitely well into the foothills.

Rocklin and Folsom are both located on top of granite deposits--both were the sites of major granite quarries, big enough that they were both used to supply granite to the State Capitol (you can see the point on the first floor where they switched from darker Folsom granite to lighter Rocklin grante), the same granite that makes up the Sierra Nevada range. So I'd say you can safely call them the foothills, and they're both suburbs of Sacramento today. Maybe folks in EDH don't consider themselves part of the foothills, but that doesn't mean they aren't in the foothills.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,913 times
I’m in EDH and I’d say we are just on the beginning edge of the foothills. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post
No. Rocklin is like a suburb of Roseville and Folsom like a suburb of Sacramento. I can't speak for Loomis but most people in EDH don't consider themselves to be part of the foothills. And people further up the hill definitely don't consider EDH to be part of the foothills.
I would have to agree with you. I haven't lived in the Sac area for so many years, some of you were not even alive when we lived there, but have been though there many times going to Tahoe. i do agree it is a matter of perspective but am not sure what culture has to do with it as one poster said.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Yes. They straddle the beginning of the foothills so they are partially in the foothills. It's not like you take one step out of Folsom and into EDH and suddenly you've left the valley and entered the foothills.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would have to agree with you. I haven't lived in the Sac area for so many years, some of you were not even alive when we lived there, but have been though there many times going to Tahoe. i do agree it is a matter of perspective but am not sure what culture has to do with it as one poster said.
Culture is definitely part of it--"mountain people" often seem like a different breed than "valley people." And there are also "delta people" who have their own cultural vibe. Mountain folk tend to think of themselves as a world apart from the big city, sometimes even if they're only 40-50 miles away from Sacramento.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:34 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Culture is definitely part of it--"mountain people" often seem like a different breed than "valley people." And there are also "delta people" who have their own cultural vibe. Mountain folk tend to think of themselves as a world apart from the big city, sometimes even if they're only 40-50 miles away from Sacramento.
Zoning and land use is another reason I don't consider Folsom or Rocklin to be foothill communities. Both of these towns are full of suburban tract homes on small lots whereas in the lower foothills big lots and ranchettes dominate.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,303,954 times
I always personally defined the difference between the valley and foothills more based upon whether you were above or below the fog line when the tule fog was present.

While global warming may cause other problems, it does seem to have dramatically reduced the tule fog problem locally. I remember when I was younger having periods of weeks and maybe even a month where you just didn't see the sun. But that problem has been dramatically reduced in that past 10 years. I realize the droughts cause other problems for people, but I do like the bright sunny weather we now seem to enjoy in the winter time lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento