Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 09:00 PM

160 posts, read 206,024 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a friend who is a student and planning to work near the Intel area. Do you have a recommendations for good apartments/corporate furnished apartments in mind? Not sure what are good or bad areas in Folsom. I do see a state-prison not very far, so how safe is this place?

I do see a lot of old threads from 2007 with regards to Folsom, CA but any advice on how it is now, will be helpful.
Also does one need to have a car to commute in Folsom or can he get by with public transport?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 08:39 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,933 times
While some are more affluent than others, there are no undesirable or unsafe areas in Folsom. Public transit within the city limits is very sparse so it would be good to investigate the several apartment and condo complexes nearby. Depending upon physical condition, commuting by bicycle would be very viable as the surface streets are relatively flat. Shopping at Safeway is convenient as are the several dining choices which cater to the Intel workers. The prison is on the opposite side of town, invisible to the public and of no concern to the general public.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:58 PM

101 posts, read 182,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
Hi,

I have a friend who is a student and planning to work near the Intel area. Do you have a recommendations for good apartments/corporate furnished apartments in mind? Not sure what are good or bad areas in Folsom. I do see a state-prison not very far, so how safe is this place?

I do see a lot of old threads from 2007 with regards to Folsom, CA but any advice on how it is now, will be helpful.
Also does one need to have a car to commute in Folsom or can he get by with public transport?

Thank you!
This Sac group is notorious for painting peachy images of Sac. Don't let them fool you. Folsom has bad areas, too. Duchow and Coloma streets. Stay away from that area. Iron Point apartments are nice but pricey. The area around Intel is fine. Since they brought in public transportation, Folsom has gone downhill. I'm a car person but I also like my independence. Scary peeps and freaks on public transit. Also, having lived around that prison for years, you do notice it. People just don't want to admit it. If SHTF, that's the last place I'd want to be.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 PM

231 posts, read 250,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
While some are more affluent than others, there are no undesirable or unsafe areas in Folsom. Public transit within the city limits is very sparse so it would be good to investigate the several apartment and condo complexes nearby. Depending upon physical condition, commuting by bicycle would be very viable as the surface streets are relatively flat. Shopping at Safeway is convenient as are the several dining choices which cater to the Intel workers. The prison is on the opposite side of town, invisible to the public and of no concern to the general public.
I agree with this. I would add that I've in the area on foot and vehicle several times and it's very safe. I can't recall seeing a police car in the area which is usually a good sign as they go where they're needed. If you turn right leaving Intel's parking lot and drive East on Iron Point Road, you'll find lots of apartments on the left side of Iron Point across from the High School. Hopefully this helps some.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:43 PM

490 posts, read 837,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
Hi,

Thank you!
If they don't want to drive, there are apartments on Iron Point. One is right at Prairie City and Iron Point, across the street from Folsom High, Intel, Safeway shopping plaza. Further up Iron Point, there are Sherwood Apps across the street from the Best Buy shopping plaza and another one off of McAdoo. I think the 2bdrms are currently around $1700/mo. It's gone up a good amount since 6-7 years ago.

If you don't mind driving or waiting for a bus, there are other apartments off of Blue Ravine. There is also a low income apartment complex that I think is called Granite (something) Apartments.. you have to make a low enough income to qualify and there may be a waiting list.

They're all generally safe areas to rent. I'd stay away from the condos at Natoma Station, near light rail. I've heard some stories about incidents there that would make me wary of living there. It's a nice area, near schools, parks and shopping, but it might be a bit sketchy compared to other areas. This may be due to vicinity to light rail.

Another option is the apartments off of Hazel (right across the street from the Hazel light rail station). They are the same design as the ones off McAdoo but rent is cheaper there. The area isn't as nice and may not be as safe as in Folsom but it's close by and is cheaper.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 PM

490 posts, read 837,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStateProject View Post
This Sac group is notorious for painting peachy images of Sac. Don't let them fool you. Folsom has bad areas, too. Duchow and Coloma streets. Stay away from that area. Iron Point apartments are nice but pricey. The area around Intel is fine. Since they brought in public transportation, Folsom has gone downhill. I'm a car person but I also like my independence. Scary peeps and freaks on public transit. Also, having lived around that prison for years, you do notice it. People just don't want to admit it. If SHTF, that's the last place I'd want to be.
I've seen more homeless roaming around, sitting at corners with signs, etc in recent years. I'm sure it's partly due to light rail. Also some sketchy women with kids who hit people up for money or other things.

The further east you go, the further away you are from that stuff.. Parkway is a nice area to live and you don't see that stuff as much (at least I don't when I'm in the area).

If you don't like that kind of thing, consider El Dorado Hills, Rocklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento