Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick a reason why you use SFO, OAK or San Jose airports.
Because I am unaware of Sacramento's (SMF) numerous and expanding flight options. 5 13.16%
Sometimes I can save $100 on airfare although I am willing to spend $100-$200 just to get to SFO. 7 18.42%
My preferred airline does not fly out of SMF. 16 42.11%
I don't care that I have to deal with Bay Area traffic and the Bay Bridge. 3 7.89%
I stay with Bay Area friends and family the day before flying. 5 13.16%
I'm originally from the Bay Area and I'm used to using SFO/OAK/SJC airports. 5 13.16%
I don't care that I waste 2-4 hours getting to Bay Area airports. 12 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why would you take Uber to SFO? If you don't own a car you could rent a car for far less than what you are quoting for UBER
So you would drive all the way to SFO for a trip to Atlanta because you can save $8 on airfare, when it will cost $50-$200 getting to SFO and back, parking and inconvenience to whoever drives you and back. Seems so "cowtown" to even consider such a thing.

That doesn't make sense, rent a car to drive all the way to SFO, and pay the enormous one-way car rental penalty. So you are gone for 1 week, the car rental is going to cost you $250-$500 and you still have to drive all the way to SFO and back to Sacramento.

You can lyft for $16 to SMF or lyft to SFO for $164(one-way)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 AM

You can pick more than one option in the poll.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:29 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
We flew out of SFO to Ireland last year, because I could not get the specific dates I needed ( we were going to an event) out of Sacramento. We drove down & left the car with a pal, who dropped us at the airport, & gave us a bed for the night. Next trip will be domestic & we will drive down to SMF & use the park & fly option at one of the hotels.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:30 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Your poll is so skewed lol. Even though there are more than one option, it's like asking if you love Trump or do you just adore him. Those would, in theory, be two separate options, yet not. If all of your options say it's stupid not to fly out of Sac and there are no good reasons to do otherwise, those are not separate options. There wasn't one that I'd choose - even if I still lived there.

Nobody is going to drive to Oakland or SF, when Sac is closer - without good reason.

It's the same thing for people who live in the SF/Oakland area. People would normally prefer to fly out of Oakland or SJ than SF because it's less insane, but it's still not always the best option - either because of price or flight options.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We flew out of SFO to Ireland last year, because I could not get the specific dates I needed ( we were going to an event) out of Sacramento. We drove down & left the car with a pal, who dropped us at the airport, & gave us a bed for the night. Next trip will be domestic & we will drive down to SMF & use the park & fly option at one of the hotels.
Sounds like a good friend :-)

So what bay city does the friend live in?

Curious, How hard did you look for a flight out of SMF? If the friend wasn't willing or able, would you still fly directly out of SFO, or consider SMF options? You have more choices going to Europe than Asia flying directly out of SMF.

How far are you from SMF?

Old 01-25-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your poll is so skewed lol. Even though there are more than one option, it's like asking if you love Trump or do you just adore him. Those would, in theory, be two separate options, yet not. If all of your options say it's stupid not to fly out of Sac and there are no good reasons to do otherwise, those are not separate options. There wasn't one that I'd choose - even if I still lived there.

Nobody is going to drive to Oakland or SF, when Sac is closer - without good reason.

It's the same thing for people who live in the SF/Oakland area. People would normally prefer to fly out of Oakland or SJ than SF because it's less insane, but it's still not always the best option - either because of price or flight options.
In a sense you answered my poll.

Regarding SFO versus OAK or SJC, is it more than price or flight options? As a SF city resident do you always check all 3 airports, or are you more likely to check SFO only, or do you always check all 3 different airports?

It's not skewed, I legitimately want to know if someone is willing deal with Bay Area traffic, parking fees, just so they can save $8 in airfare, lol.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:21 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
So you would drive all the way to SFO for a trip to Atlanta because you can save $8 on airfare, when it will cost $50-$200 getting to SFO and back, parking and inconvenience to whoever drives you and back. Seems so "cowtown" to even consider such a thing.

That doesn't make sense, rent a car to drive all the way to SFO, and pay the enormous one-way car rental penalty. So you are gone for 1 week, the car rental is going to cost you $250-$500 and you still have to drive all the way to SFO and back to Sacramento.

You can lyft for $16 to SMF or lyft to SFO for $164(one-way)
I never said I would drive anywhere to save $8, did I? What I questioned was your comparing SFO to SMF by adding $280 in costs to the fare of every SFO flight and claiming that was a reasonable comparison. You can avoid one way car rental drop charges if you do a little shopping, the car rental business is about supply and demand, if your destination airport needs cars you can get a good deal with a one way rental, also some discount or loyalty programs mitigate or eliminate them.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:28 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
How much does it cost you to park at Oakland, do you factor that in your cost? Ground transportation cost and Time? Practically every flight east that goes out of Oakland or SFO involving one connection will take you the same route as from SMF mostly on 737-800, 737-900 or larger. Very few small jets are used out of SMF; its not Reno. How much of your decision to fly out of SFO or OAK is force of habit?
You are very defensive...I never said I wouldn't fly out of SMF did I? I said if I couldn't find a direct flight or one with more than one stop at SMF that I would probably fly out of OAK, so please go back and read my initial post.

What I won't do is offer some oath of fealty that I will never fly out of an airport other than SMF.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
I have no dog in this fight, but the poll does seem very skewed and the op seems to insult the respondent if they aren't waving the sacto airport banner .

Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I never said I would drive anywhere to save $8, did I? What I questioned was your comparing SFO to SMF by adding $280 in costs to the fare of every SFO flight and claiming that was a reasonable comparison. You can avoid one way car rental drop charges if you do a little shopping, the car rental business is about supply and demand, if your destination airport needs cars you can get a good deal with a one way rental, also some discount or loyalty programs mitigate or eliminate them.
Did I add $280 to every SFO flight, no, I did not.

So you really would go the extra trouble to research "good deals" on car rentals so you could drive additional 100 miles or more to a more congested airport....just so you can "save" a few bucks on airfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento