Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 02:22 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
I guess my question is, is there an influence the Bay Area has on Sacramento in terms of attitude?

Like do people from the Bay Area visit Sacramento often?
Regarding attitude - Overall, I would say No. Sacramento attitudes are more easy-going, less pretentious, friendlier, more open-minded than the Bay.

Although liberal, Sacramento politics is more balanced, less extreme and less radical than the Bay Area.

The Bay Area influences Sacramento mostly regarding politics. Sacramento would not be strongly liberal if we were not part of the NorCal-Bay Area political climate.

A better way to think of the Bay and Sacramento is they are both NorCal. We recreate similarly: Napa, Tahoe, Coast, Sierras, Bay, Delta, within Suburban environments and City environments. Politics, Business and shared Family and Friends is what connects the Bay with Sacramento.

*I'll get huge flack for this comment: "A Hard-core Bay Area person is more likely to be brash, loud, pushy, and always right about everything. Bay Area politics is hard-core, one-dimensional, narrow-minded-ultra-controlling compared to the larger USA. Bay Area politics has become so radically left that they are now in fact narrow-minded, totalitarian, they actually limit free-speech, and put a Nazi strangled hold on free thought and expression. If you don't vote or think like some influential Bay Area types, then beware, because you will be ostracized and harassed."

Sacramento offers "some" freedom from that Bay Area political oppression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 AM

136 posts, read 179,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Regarding attitude - Overall, I would say No. Sacramento attitudes are more easy-going, less pretentious, friendlier, more open-minded than the Bay.

Although liberal, Sacramento politics is more balanced, less extreme and less radical than the Bay Area.

The Bay Area influences Sacramento mostly regarding politics. Sacramento would not be strongly liberal if we were not part of the NorCal-Bay Area political climate.

A better way to think of the Bay and Sacramento is they are both NorCal. We recreate similarly: Napa, Tahoe, Coast, Sierras, Bay, Delta, within Suburban environments and City environments. Politics, Business and shared Family and Friends is what connects the Bay with Sacramento.

*I'll get huge flack for this comment: "A Hard-core Bay Area person is more likely to be brash, loud, pushy, and always right about everything. Bay Area politics is hard-core, one-dimensional, narrow-minded-ultra-controlling compared to the larger USA. Bay Area politics has become so radically left that they are now in fact narrow-minded, totalitarian, they actually limit free-speech, and put a Nazi strangled hold on free thought and expression. If you don't vote or think like some influential Bay Area types, then beware, because you will be ostracized and harassed."

Sacramento offers "some" freedom from that Bay Area political oppression.
Thanks for the detailed answers guys.

How often do you meet someone who is visiting from San Francisco though?

Old 03-14-2018, 04:08 PM

29 posts, read 29,955 times
Quote:
I guess my question is, is there an influence the Bay Area has on Sacramento in terms of attitude?

Like do people from the Bay Area visit Sacramento often?
Most people I've met from the Bay Area tend to be Bay Area rejects, who've been priced out of gentrifying neighborhoods. They're not

really bringing affluence with them, as much as higher tolerance levels of crime, etc.

That's just been my personal experience.

Wealthy people from Bay Area, may drive through on their way to Tahoe. Climbers may stop by for holiday

visits with family in town, but for the most part they dont stay long.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramentian916 View Post
Most people I've met from the Bay Area tend to be Bay Area rejects, who've been priced out of gentrifying neighborhoods. They're not

really bringing affluence with them, as much as higher tolerance levels of crime, etc.

Wealthy people from Bay Area, may drive through on their way to Tahoe. Climbers may stop by for holiday

Im curious are Bay Area transplants that move to Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle, Portland Vegas and Phoenix "rejects" as well?

I've never met a Bay Area "reject". The ones I've met, have good jobs in Sac and nice homes. They enjoy our superior traffic situation, home prices, and find that Sacramento is just an extension of the Bay.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
The point he is making is folks from the bay tend to move for the affordability. It's sort of Last Stop, CA. These are folks who might have otherwise moved out of state. But obligations (mainly being close to extended family) keep them in CA.

It's a lot easier for folks to maintain their support base of friends family in the bay. They can still go catch the big game, see old friends, let the kids get to know grand parents, etc.

Moving out of state with no support base can really suck for most people.

Reject is a little harsh. Just people looking for a better lifestyle. The bay offers so much, but who wants to be 40 with roommates? Who wants their kids growing up bouncing from rental to rental, switching school districts every few years?

Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed answers guys.

How often do you meet someone who is visiting from San Francisco though?
I OFTEN meet people from the Bay visiting Sacramento. However, if you were to "hang-out" in SF(The City) you will come across people that know nothing about Sacramento. On the other hand, you always meet San Franciscans who have friends or family living in Sacramento or the Sacramento area.

:-) "Sacramento" to a PROVINCIAL San Franciscan is a Street in the Financial District, Chinatown, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Polk-Gulch, and Pacific Heights. The "Sacramento Muni Bus" is always crowded and runs frequently through most of the neighborhoods just mentioned. Sacramento Street runs parallel and north of the big street with a cable car -California Street. :-)

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-15-2018 at 01:41 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 12:58 PM

136 posts, read 179,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I OFTEN meet people from the Bay visiting Sacramento. However, if you were to "hang-out" in SF(The City) you will come across people that know nothing about Sacramento. On the other hand, you always meet San Franciscans who have friends or family living in Sacramento or the Sacramento area.

:-) "Sacramento" to a PROVINCIAL San Franciscan is a Street in the Financial District, Chinatown, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Polk-Gulch, and Pacific Heights. The "Sacramento Muni Bus" is always crowded and runs frequently through most of the neighborhoods just mentioned. Sacramento Street runs parallel and north of the big street with a cable car -California Street. :-)
Really? people travel 2 hours everyday to Sacramento?

That's funny because even in San Diego, my friend from OC only comes down like once a month at most.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM

572 posts, read 598,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramentian916 View Post

Ouch. I'm a "Bay Area reject". I probably could have stayed in my one bedroom apartment in SF. But after having 2 kids it just wasn't any fun squeezed into the city anymore. I got a job in Sac and we moved out here and bought a house and have settled here for the long term.

It's more like what WizardofRadical portrayed below. We get to own a home, live with lower costs and less stress, and be closer to the mountains. We also get to stay close enough to friends and family still living in the bay area.

People living in the bay area are always portrayed as wealthy. There are plenty of people still living there that have been there quite a while and have just stayed in homes they bought a while back or places they rented that are on rent control. A lot of these folks are not wealthy and are just regular working folks. As others have said plenty of these types come out to Sac to visit kids and grandkids and family and friends. Yeah their property is worth a lot - but if they are tied to jobs in the bay then whats the point in selling? Often their kids and friends are forced to move away because of high costs... which kind of sucks for everyone involved. Sac can be a good compromise for families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
The point he is making is folks from the bay tend to move for the affordability. It's sort of Last Stop, CA. These are folks who might have otherwise moved out of state. But obligations (mainly being close to extended family) keep them in CA.

It's a lot easier for folks to maintain their support base of friends family in the bay. They can still go catch the big game, see old friends, let the kids get to know grand parents, etc.

Moving out of state with no support base can really suck for most people.

Reject is a little harsh. Just people looking for a better lifestyle. The bay offers so much, but who wants to be 40 with roommates? Who wants their kids growing up bouncing from rental to rental, switching school districts every few years?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:18 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
[quote=Sacramentian916;51297047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There's definitely a correlation between being rich and being thin in the US, particularly for women. Plenty of studies on that.

My meaning here, which didnt come across very well, was that sometimes, in a provincial area, people

may put on airs, which can be comical, when, meanwhile, they're fat, disheveled, middle class people who

have no knowledge of real wealth.

It's just another thing I get a chuckle about while I keep my nose to the grindstone, staying the coarse.
I just have never met such people. Because I constantly jog and workout, I see a general population that is more active than the norm. I believe Sac actually rates pretty high on that scale compared to similar cities of its size. I've yet to meet anyone embellishing their wealth here. I'd be curious where you are meeting these people and in what context its occurring.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There's definitely a correlation between being rich and being thin in the US, particularly for women. Plenty of studies on that.

LOL. My 18-year-old drives a beater BMW. Best of both worlds.
LOL that's complete made up BS. Watch shark tank. The 4 men are all overweight - one of them significantly (though Cuban ping pongs from chubby to average). A lot of these people do not sleep, sit behind a desk in one form or another, drink significant amounts of alcohol and have terrible diets. Trump, Balmer, on and on. Of course women are in general more conscious of their weight in a business environment because it has such a disproportionate effect on their income. It should't be that way, but it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento