Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,716 times

Advertisements

The state that elected Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger as Governor can't be THAT universally liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 08:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
The state that elected Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger as Governor can't be THAT universally liberal.
Amen! I have always been a registered Democrat, but I voted for Schwarzenegger. He was the only candidate brave enough to say he was against illegal immigrants getting legal driver's licenses, right after 911 happened. Gray Davis was pro giving legal IDs to illegal immigrants, and he was otherwise just a bad governor, more interested in fund-raising than actually listening to, or taking care of his constituents.

And I wasn't the only Democrat in CA to do so. Californians don't just vote the party line, we vote our minds. And for the most part, we are educated on the issues. So, party tricks don't usually work on us.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Woodland? Very conservative? When were you last there? Things have changed alot. Every city in Yolo County, not just Davis, is majority or plurality Democratic, including Woodland. See below picture.

Attachment 197558
The numbers in your chart don't change the town dynamics. If the minority in the town as far as being Republican vs Democrat, is the majority as far as income and the influence in local government, and they are the influence that governs the school districts, etc., and then they aren't really a minority influence in the reality of that town's life.

So, let's say that 50% of the town is Republican but the majority of income in that county from it's residents comes from 90% of the Republicans, you can see where the influence really lies in the town's government.

You have to live there to understand the dynamics. This is a small town, with inbred-type small town government.

And the smaller population that is higher educated, and has a higher income - who are Democrat or Green Party members - will almost always actually work somewhere else, and send their kids to private schools. For instance, they work in Davis or Sacramento, and would never send their kids to the local public schools because they're mainly hispanic. And, they also socialize either with other like-minded people in Woodland, or they only socialize outside of Woodland.

I lived there and knew folk who lived there on both sides of the aisle, as far as rich and poor, and I was just this side of appalled as to how backward the town was. It felt almost like a southern town, where white folk don't want their kids going to school with white trash or colored folk.

Just saying, this is a small town with backward agendas. And unless you can prove to me that things have changed to the point where the upper-class in Woodland is living AND working in town, and sending their kids to public school in Woodland, then you have proven to me that nothing has changed since I lived there.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
UC Davis is considerably more prestigous than CU, for what its worth. Davis is more studious, tame, and even quiet. Despite having a D1 football program, no one gets hyped for "the big game", like Cal, UCLA, Fresno State, USC, and Standford do.

Boulder feels more like Santa Cruz, but with snowboarders instead of surfers.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:08 PM

117 posts, read 149,715 times
The only thing I can say good about Davis was Murder Burger(the last time I checked it was renamed Redrum because of some owner/new owner disagreement. They had a burger called the Annihilator or the Aggie Annihilator. It was truly a huge hamburger.

BTW --- A lot of Veternarians come out of Davis...FYI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento