Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

I think of Davis as a wannabe Boulder. Farm-to-fork communes, organic markets, ultra-liberal, agrarian, hipster, eco-friendly college town.

One more thing: everyone thinks that Davis, oh, it's a cow town, rural county, so it must be super-conservative... well, false. And it's not just because Davis is a college town and college towns are more liberal. Go to Woodland, Dixon, West Sacramento--they're all very liberal too. Don't know why, but even rednecks in California are liberal, even in rural Yolo and Solano Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:17 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
No. Boulder is the wannabe Davis.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I think of Davis as a wannabe Boulder. Farm-to-fork communes, organic markets, ultra-liberal, agrarian, hipster, eco-friendly college town.

One more thing: everyone thinks that Davis, oh, it's a cow town, rural county, so it must be super-conservative... well, false. And it's not just because Davis is a college town and college towns are more liberal. Go to Woodland, Dixon, West Sacramento--they're all very liberal too. Don't know why, but even rednecks in California are liberal, even in rural Yolo and Solano Counties.
huh?

Old 04-08-2018, 04:05 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Santa Barbara = boulder by the beach

Old 04-09-2018, 02:08 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

You got it all backwards Mr J. You can Thank UC Davis for Farm-to-fork communes, organic markets, ultra-liberal, agrarian, hipster, eco-friendly college town. Davis was doing this in the 1970's and set the model for every College in the USA including UC Irvine and ultra liberal UC Santa Cruz.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times
I don't even live in your city, but even I highly doubt that Woodland is liberal. In what way is that town liberal, just curious?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:36 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I don't even live in your city, but even I highly doubt that Woodland is liberal. In what way is that town liberal, just curious?
I agree and I don't see anything very liberal about West Sac either.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I used to live in Davis and Woodland and Sacramento. I used to joke that Davis was a Berkeley wannabe. The town is anti-anything. The city council hearings used to be on a cable channel and I actually used to watch them like it was reality TV before reality TV existed.

Davis loves being quirky and super liberal. it's very gay-friendly. But, it's also very snobby, ultra educated. Nobody acts like farmers in Davis. The closest you get to farmers, is the wine-making degree on campus, and everybody knows that winemakers are not exactly cowtown types, either.

Woodland is very conservative, from my experience. There's old money there and I found the town to be very close-knit, in a bad way. Whites on this side of the track, hispanics stay on the other side, please. I didn't like it at all. Worked there, lived there. Was happy to leave.

Really, the only farming in that area of any consequence are the huge agribusiness farms. Just not the same thing. We're talking really wealthy "growers." And don't you call them anything else.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Santa Barbara = boulder by the beach
This, and don't forget Santa Cruz's history as a hippie college.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:39 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnowforme View Post
i used to live in davis and woodland and sacramento. I used to joke that davis was a berkeley wannabe. The town is anti-anything. The city council hearings used to be on a cable channel and i actually used to watch them like it was reality tv before reality tv existed.

Davis loves being quirky and super liberal. It's very gay-friendly. But, it's also very snobby, ultra educated. Nobody acts like farmers in davis. The closest you get to farmers, is the wine-making degree on campus, and everybody knows that winemakers are not exactly cowtown types, either.

Woodland is very conservative, from my experience. There's old money there and i found the town to be very close-knit, in a bad way. Whites on this side of the track, hispanics stay on the other side, please. I didn't like it at all. Worked there, lived there. Was happy to leave.

Really, the only farming in that area of any consequence are the huge agribusiness farms. Just not the same thing. We're talking really wealthy "growers." and don't you call them anything else.
Woodland? Very conservative? When were you last there? Things have changed alot. Every city in Yolo County, not just Davis, is majority or plurality Democratic, including Woodland. See below picture.

Is Davis the Boulder, Colorado of California?-woodland-politics.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento