Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 AM

91 posts, read 250,599 times

Advertisements

Sources Report Possible Break in East Area Rapist Case | FOX40

SACRAMENTO — Sources confirm that the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department is working a significant break in the search for the East Area Rapist.

A possible arrest in the decadeslong case may have been made. The department said it hopes to release further information Wednesday.

Police believe the East Area Rapist or Golden State Killer was responsible for 12 homicides, almost 50 rapes and 120 home burglaries that spanned a decade starting in the late 1970s in Sacramento County.

“It is the most prolific unsolved serial killing case probably in modern history,” said Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert.

FOX40’s own “Exposed: East Area Rapist” podcast covered the cold case through interviews with victims, their families and the original investigators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:48 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
I am shocked. During the majority of the time that he committed the murders/rapes in Sacramento, he was an active-duty police officer.

Of course they couldn't solve it. He probably had access to the investigation and stayed a step ahead.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Wow, I remember this case. Haven't thought about it in years but good to know he's been caught. And a former cop, no less. Frankly, I'm surprised to find out he's even alive.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Wow, I remember this case. Haven't thought about it in years but good to know he's been caught. And a former cop, no less. Frankly, I'm surprised to find out he's even alive.
I really believed he died quite some time ago.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:07 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
It's great to hear that they never gave up and wonderful to hear about this tenacity finally catching him.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:27 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
I really believed he died quite some time ago.
No, he’s been arrested.

Golden State Killer: Murderer, rapist suspect arrested in CA | The Sacramento Bee

Old 04-25-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I know. Before this arrest I had believed that he was dead.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:07 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Thinking of this and all the other unsolved murders over the years, if there's DNA, these people might not have that much time before they're caught, too. News reports are that the feds gave over 1.3 million dollars to (Sacramento) law enforcement for DNA testing on these old cases. Good. It's about time and I hope they catch every single one of them.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:30 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
I know. Before this arrest I had believed that he was dead.
Sorry. I misunderstood you.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Default A tip from the public led to ex-cop serial killer's arrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
It's great to hear that they never gave up and wonderful to hear about this tenacity finally catching him.
Really? What tenacity? If they had processed all rape kits immediately and followed all leads persistently early on there is a very good chance they would have caught this ex-cop (fired once by Auburn police for shoplifting and later an Exeter, CA cop) with a temper and put a stop to the suffering of the many victims over the years.

Law enforcement is on TV now, falling all over themselves congratulating one and all like it was all their own efforts, yet it was a tip from the public that led to DeAngelo’s arrest.

A $50,000 reward was offered in 2016, 40 years after his first crime, for information leading to the capture of the serial murderer known as the Golden State Killer.

This former police officer (DeAngelo was employed as a police officer by two different departments, in Exeter, Calif. from 1973 to 1976 and in Auburn from 1976 to 1979, when he was fired) was trained by the police force/academy and the military (he's a Vietnam war vet), so there must have been clues in the way he made knots, etc. and other things at the crime scenes that pointed to this training, and he would be in databases as both a vet and an officer of two different police departments.

At least 12 homicides and at least 45 rapes later, and following the tip from the public, a DNA match in the past six days tied this former police officer to the crimes and led to his arrest.

He is also suspected to have committed more than 100 residential burglaries.

I am not impressed with law enforcement's handling of these many cases.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 04-25-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento