Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 10:16 AM

25 posts, read 22,517 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My family and I live in Monterey. We are relocating to Sacramento due to a work promotion. I am looking for advice on a good area to live. We are looking for a safe area with stores and restaurants near by. Planning to rent to for the first year. Our kids are grown so school systems are not a concern. My main concern is crime. We enjoy biking so an area with bike trails would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:40 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,981 times
Where will you be working? What's your budget?

Old 04-28-2018, 05:19 PM

251 posts, read 376,081 times
Your budget is going to be the biggest deciding factor in where you can live.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:33 PM

Hi All,

Yes my wife and I both work. I'd like to keep my monthly rent between 1600 - 2400 a month. I'm looking for a three to four bedroom home ideally .

Thanks

Old 04-28-2018, 09:53 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,981 times
Pocket/Greenhaven (95831). Good access to biking trails (both along the greenbelt and along the river), plenty of shops and restaurants. Of course, if your job is out in one of the suburbs, then that changes things. But if it's in Sac, then this works.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:10 PM

Thank you for your responses! We'll keep an eye on rentals in Pocket. What about Natomas? We've heard mixed reviews about it. We were also told not to move to South Sacramento. Other areas we are curious about are Citrus Heights, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Elk Grove. If you can tell us some pros and cons about those areas, we would really appreciate it.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
I would also second the Pocket/Greenhaven area of Sacramento if your place of employment is in or around downtown. If you're considering Natomas, I would consider searching north of I-80 and west of I-5 (North Natomas). South Natomas can be hit or miss. Again, it would depend on where you would be working to limit the commute.

The northeastern suburbs of Citrus Heights, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Orangevale are options depending on the neighborhood. You could probably find a decent house or apartment to rent within your budget range in those communities. Citrus Heights in an incorporated city whereas Carmichael, Fair Oaks and Orangevale are unincorporated communities. Orangevale is more rural residential in character. Carmichael and Fair Oaks have some nice wooded neighborhoods located near the American River Parkway.

Elk Grove is located south of Sacramento and is perhaps the fastest growing city in the region. It's fairly suburban in character with newer neighborhoods south of Elk Grove Boulevard.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Thank you sacreole for giving us a nice overview of the surrounding neighborhoods and towns. We found your post very informative. Do you or anyone else know anything about Antelope?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:14 PM

572 posts, read 599,069 times
Check out the Sierra Oaks/Wilhaggin areas along American River Drive going east from Howe Avenue. I really like that area although it might be a little pricey/tough to find rentals.

For similar location but not as upscale you can check out the College-Glen area which is just south of the American river between Howe and Watt Avenue. Here's a thread describing the neighborhood
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...n-commute.html

Old 05-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Thank you, JohnS! We read the thread you have recommended. I guess, our next step is to visit and get the feel for different neighborhoods/towns. We don't have to move until August, but noticed the real estate prices are going up and so are the rental prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento