Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 10,371 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone looking for suggestions and ideas. Will be moving in the next two years upon retirement. Have two children ( they will be 11/12 and 8/9 ) and wife. Looking for all the obvious, schools, athletics, good neighborhood etc... Budget for home will be max $650,000, would like some property. Wife is from Auburn/Grass Valley area and in-laws live in Grass Valley. Open to other places, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:01 PM

231 posts, read 251,025 times
Budget-wise, you should be fine. It will come down to what are each of you looking for in a house, school and neighborhood and what amenities you're looking for. It's easier for anybody here to give you more specific suggestions if you can provide more specific information on what you're looking for.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:31 AM

78 posts, read 63,739 times
Hi! I just read this. Not sure if you’ve moved already? Auburn is a bit of a distance from Grass Valley. Both are great communities! I love Auburn because it’s got a very healthy vibe, very cute downtown, and you just miss the snow line. Plus it’s a quick zip up 80 to Tahoe and reverse to Roseville if you need a little more city action. I also love the auburn Folsom road stretch connecting Auburn to granite Bay, Loomis, Lincoln, Penryn. I grew up in Granite Bay in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90!s. It did change a lot, but in my time, the kids were pretty cool. Athletic, into academics, nice. I know the ranches and open space that was there when I grew up have since been developed, but Loomis reminds me a lot of how GB used to be before the development. Plus, the Loomis schools are very supported by parents in a positive way. My friends talk about their kid’s teachers as friends, and some are even like celebrities! Lol I don’t think you could go wrong in any community along that corridor. Rocklin and Roseville are unrecognizable to me now. I get lost when I visit my dad, but they’re still great communities with tons of kid activities and Rocklin has great schools. If I had kids, I’d probably choose Loomis because the schools are so highly regarded, supported by community, and people are pretty cool and down to earth. I don’t know much about auburn schools, but if they’re good, that’d be a great community too. Grass Valley seems just a little to isolated but it is beautiful and from what I remember quirky and cool. Plus Nevada City is close and that’s a neat place. Best of luck. I don’t think you can go wrong in any of those areas. Especially if you’re not doing a work commute.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:37 PM

30 posts, read 81,953 times
Don't overlook the area between Lincoln, Auburn and Newcastle (not sure if it has a name? Centered around Ophir). Roads a little windy, but nice large lot rural homes which aren't too far from town. Since many people want to reduce their commute time into Sacramento—thus this area would have lower appeal—this area's prices might be lower than otherwise expected. The west Placer County climate is superb. If you miss the snow just hop in the car and visit Tahoe City or Blairsden for the day.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:00 PM

78 posts, read 63,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudShan View Post
Don't overlook the area between Lincoln, Auburn and Newcastle (not sure if it has a name? Centered around Ophir). Roads a little windy, but nice large lot rural homes which aren't too far from town. Since many people want to reduce their commute time into Sacramento—thus this area would have lower appeal—this area's prices might be lower than otherwise expected. The west Placer County climate is superb. If you miss the snow just hop in the car and visit Tahoe City or Blairsden for the day.
I think that’s called route 93? If we’re thinking of the same windy road.. totally agree. It’s absolutely beautiful. People drive too fast on it though. Otherwise... the whole stretch is gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento