Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:34 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,509 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move back to Sac for a state job. Notice a low vacancy rate. What is causing the apartment shortage in the area? I looked at Pocket area but most places are rented, same for mid town Sac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
I am looking to move back to Sac for a state job. Notice a low vacancy rate. What is causing the apartment shortage in the area? I looked at Pocket area but most places are rented, same for mid town Sac.
I'm not sure what's causing it but decent rentals are hard to find all over Sac, particularly in the areas you mentioned. It seems like the number of people in Sac has exploded. We wanted to go to Fox and Goose for brunch and there was a 2 hour wait, I sort of felt like I was in San Francisco or Oakland.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:15 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure what's causing it but decent rentals are hard to find all over Sac, particularly in the areas you mentioned. It seems like the number of people in Sac has exploded. We wanted to go to Fox and Goose for brunch and there was a 2 hour wait, I sort of felt like I was in San Francisco or Oakland.
The Sac real estate market is booming now that the prices in the SF Bay area are out of control.
Sac is the area now to get into homeownership at the best prices as far as California goes.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Well I am not buying but renting so this is quite odd. Why would anyone want to spend 4 hours plus in daily commute to the bay area? I plan to buy land north of Sacramento but need a place to rent close to work.

We keep importing tons of foreigners which is one reason for housing shortage. BTW I used to live in the bay area and know about obscene prices. But Sacramento needs rent control and from what I heard at rental offices, the demand is high now due to rent control measures that may pass in November.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Well I am not buying but renting so this is quite odd. Why would anyone want to spend 4 hours plus in daily commute to the bay area? I plan to buy land north of Sacramento but need a place to rent close to work.

We keep importing tons of foreigners which is one reason for housing shortage. BTW I used to live in the bay area and know about obscene prices. But Sacramento needs rent control and from what I heard at rental offices, the demand is high now due to rent control measures that may pass in November.
Normal people wouldn't spend 4 hours commuting but yet they do because they work far away where they can afford to live and must go to where the employment is. We get people that commute from Stockton, Tracy area to SF or to San Jose. We also get people that commute from Sac. to SF. It is crazy and eventually it will make a person crazy and wear them down.
Yes there are tons of foreigners that have already invaded and flooded the real estate market down here in SF and the Bay Area which is why there are multiple offers and bids going on. The foreigners have lots of $$$$ and are willing to pay the high prices and able to pay these high costs.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 AM

Well I know that as when I lived in bay area each open house was 90% Chinese/Indian.

Anyways I am approved by Nielsen finally and will lock in a place this month for the new job. Ugh, I so hate moving!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to spend 4 hours plus in daily commute to the bay area?
Hmm...that's a tough one...

"In a recent filing, Google parent Alphabet revealed that the median compensation for its employees is at nearly $200,000 a year." Apr 30, 2018

Old 08-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Well I know that as when I lived in bay area each open house was 90% Chinese/Indian.

Anyways I am approved by Nielsen finally and will lock in a place this month for the new job. Ugh, I so hate moving!
I concur with you on this 100%. The $$$ talks and BS walks..

I hate moving too but have only moved 3 times within San Francisco and one time in the SF Bay area.
I figure I am entitled to one more move.
I am not a travelin man.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Agree and hopefully plan to save up for a place after some time. Jobs may pay more in bay area but with taxes and housing costs and even if you commute from Sac that is still a lot of gas money.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Agree and hopefully plan to save up for a place after some time. Jobs may pay more in bay area but with taxes and housing costs and even if you commute from Sac that is still a lot of gas money.
This area is the highest cost of living in California. However, you must have an exceptional high ranking and high paying job to make it here. Most of the jobs here won't get into these million dollar junior 5 shacks.

I don't remember the stats but I believe to live in SF it was over 300,000 per year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento