Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 04:03 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,187,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
That is very true--as long as you are progressive, non-religious, and pro-alternative lifestyles. If you're Conservative, particularly Christian Conservative, then it works best to just keep your mouth shut. In the past 5 or 6 years I've heard a massive increase in anti-Christian, anti-Jewish, and anti-Republican comments while in various stores or at events.

I'm not sure what part you're living in, or your lifestyle, but I see judging everyday. And the lines between who's "acceptable" and who's not is clear to see.
cb73, You and sacite are both correct.

Look for the "River City Chronicles". Just google it.

It is a newly published book about life in Sacramento.

Cultural and Politically, Sacramento Metro is more balanced than the Bay Area. Sac is more like the rest of the nation.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-05-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 06:38 PM

127 posts, read 133,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
No, it's not a typo. The male author is legally married to a man. It's pretty common in Sacramento, really anywhere across California and the Country. Gay marriage is legal in the United States.
Aren't we off topic now? I was just correcting your typo. Being "legally married" to a fence post doesn't make it a real marriage. Cheers.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:53 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,565,167 times
Quote:
That is very true--as long as you are progressive, non-religious, and pro-alternative lifestyles. If you're Conservative, particularly Christian Conservative, then it works best to just keep your mouth shut. In the past 5 or 6 years I've heard a massive increase in anti-Christian, anti-Jewish, and anti-Republican comments while in various stores or at events.

I'm not sure what part you're living in, or your lifestyle, but I see judging everyday. And the lines between who's "acceptable" and who's not is clear to see.
Eh, I've heard massive increases in criticism of everything the past 5 years. I mean I love Jimmy Garoppolo but even he's getting criticized by some people. That's the world we live in.

Are you "anti" alternative lifestyle? Or pro-President who Tweets insults to everyone from the Janitor to his Attorney General literally everyday? Yes, those things probably won't fly well here. I really don't think anyone has a problem with Christianity though. Or republicans in general.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,187,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
Aren't we off topic now? I was just correcting your typo. Being "legally married" to a fence post doesn't make it a real marriage. Cheers.
Marriage is part of one's culture and in Sacramento the current culture of the day is that same sex marriage is legal. There are other cities where same sex marriage is not legal so that does set Sacramento apart from other cities across the globe.

Sacramento has a pretty unique Railroad Museum that sets it apart from other cities.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,422,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Eh, I've heard massive increases in criticism of everything the past 5 years. I mean I love Jimmy Garoppolo but even he's getting criticized by some people. That's the world we live in.

Are you "anti" alternative lifestyle? Or pro-President who Tweets insults to everyone from the Janitor to his Attorney General literally everyday? Yes, those things probably won't fly well here. I really don't think anyone has a problem with Christianity though. Or republicans in general.
Yes, exactly.

"Pro-President" indeed does not fly here. I got thrown out of our local Neighborhood Watch after the election because the admin said that I didn't "fully understand the pain being experienced by the Democrats." Pffft.

As long as you either hate the president or pretend to, you do fine in Sacramento. But respect the office and the remember that half the country voted for him? Act, outwardly, like you love the country? You must be racist.

So far since the election I've been called racist, a white supremacist, a Nazi and some guy in Davis said "I needed to be dead."

Yep. Sacramento is a hot-bed of non-judgmental, open-to-everyone thinking. As long as you think/believe in the "correct" things.

Meh.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:02 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,565,167 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly.

"Pro-President" indeed does not fly here. I got thrown out of our local Neighborhood Watch after the election because the admin said that I didn't "fully understand the pain being experienced by the Democrats." Pffft.

As long as you either hate the president or pretend to, you do fine in Sacramento. But respect the office and the remember that half the country voted for him? Act, outwardly, like you love the country? You must be racist.

So far since the election I've been called racist, a white supremacist, a Nazi and some guy in Davis said "I needed to be dead."

Yep. Sacramento is a hot-bed of non-judgmental, open-to-everyone thinking. As long as you think/believe in the "correct" things.

Meh.
Sorry to hear that those things happened to you. I think that goes both ways though and it's more emblematic of the political climate that we are currently in than it is a representation of Sacramento. I have friends who are both far right conservative and christian, and I've not heard these same complaints from them. I can also say that I walked through a huge swath of Trump supporters by the Capital waiving flags, holding anti immigration signs last year, and I did not witness any negative reactions from anyone directed towards them. In fact, they appeared to be the ones inciting people. I asked one why he was waiving an American flag (logical question considering we're "in" America), and about 5 of them immediately pulled out their cell phones and tried to bait me into reacting, asking me if I would not take an illegal alien into my home, cussing at me, asking me if I pay tax, etc. I gave them a thumbs up and walked away. So there are people on both sides that act irrationally.

I don't want to get into a political debate here, but the president himself doesn't respect the office - and there's a mountain of evidence that any truly objective person could point towards to clearly prove it. So, how can you expect the average person to respect it? It's really gotten old going around in circles with people who claim this daily chaos is someone else's misunderstanding, or their inability to understand his unique or "direct" form of communication. I recognize everyone's right to support whomever they want to. I even lean right on several issues. But "dysfunction" and "chaos" are not fundamental to the conservative agenda. The issues you are experiencing, through still wrong, are more indicative of who and what you're supporting rather than the political party you've chosen to affiliate with. Ronald Reagan won California in a landslide not long ago, after all.

EDIT: I am not dismissing your experiences either, or claiming that my own anecdotal evidence supersedes them. I think it sucks when things like that happen to anyone.

Last edited by sacite; 09-05-2018 at 10:23 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,981,203 times
Sacramento Culture

1/3 state capitol-gub-mint workers and such

1/3 central valley bumkin town - "we don't want no taxes, we don't want no arena, we don't want no lublic transit improvements

1/3 bay area refugee camp- I'm from SF, I love it there, but I could no longer afford the $1200 a month rent for the porto pottie I lived in.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:02 PM

400 posts, read 445,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofradical View Post
sacramento culture

1/3 state capitol-gub-mint workers and such

1/3 central valley bumkin town - "we don't want no taxes, we don't want no arena, we don't want no lublic transit improvements

1/3 bay area refugee camp- i'm from sf, i love it there, but i could no longer afford the $[size=3][size=3]1200
[/size]
[/size]

[size=3]$2400 a mo[/size]nth rent for the porto pottie i lived in.

ftfy

Old 09-07-2018, 12:09 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,212,349 times
Quote:

Oh my goodness, what a victim mentality that you defend by making false generalizations about people that make you uncomfortable. Truth is, there are plenty of gay people going to church and synagogue every weekend. They go to worship and to become better people who contribute to the world around them. They probably don't go to your church, though, since your church appears to attract people who wouldn't want them there. So you may not realize how many gay people are coming in fact, religious.

I'm still wondering what an 'alternative lifestyle' is. That term has been thrown around for decades, usually as a warning to society of the Doom and Gloom that would surely occur if we treated gays and lesbians like normal human beings. And despite those warnings of opening the floodgates to bestiality and pedophilia with every civil right given to them, gay people have fought simply for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness: a home, a job, a spouse, kids, and to serve their country. They are embracing the very same desires and values that all humans share and deserve, and the same ones that you probably espouse. But some people such as yourself steadfastly define them with terms like 'alternative lifestyles.' I might suggest that yours is in fact an alternative lifestyle, because it is one of contradictions and falsehoods: projecting religious and political beliefs onto people you've never met, insulting their marriages by comparing them to inanimate objects, painting yourself as a victim of imagined attacks by those very people you insult, and denigrating those who simply want to make a good life for themselves and others, all in the name of 'conservative Christianity.' Most of us would see your actions and statements as hypocrisy rather than morality. If you tell people how much better you are than they, how much more pious you are than they, without knowing them at all, then don't be surprised when they don't respond well. Trust me, the backlash you've experienced has nothing to do with anti religious sentiment and everything to do with your attitude.

I'm not trying to be rude or harsh, but I am being blunt in hopes that you'll allow yourself to be self critical in how you express your views and to hopefully engage in civil conversation with people you don't like.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:12 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,212,349 times
What makes Sacramento unique? I would definitely say the setting, the history, and being a state capitol all contribute to an interesting mix of cut throat politics and small town charm. It's as if Washington DC and Mayberry USA had a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento