U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 PM

6,110 posts, read 13,170,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
QA isn't a skill that is in much demand in Sacramento. The only job openings for that role I've seen here are at Intel and some robotics company in Rocklin. The position at Intel is a contract and non-permanent one at that.

Actual computer repair has never been in much demand outside of computer stores. The job the OP should be looking for is help desk or desktop support. Desktop support techs often do warranty repairs on computers at a company that are in the current hardware life cycle, and thus, under warranty. So, while most of a desktop support techs job will involve other things, they will often add some extra memory or replace a hard drive that fails.

Supposedly, help desk and desktop support techs are in such demand that employers can't fill those positions. My experience has been that nobody will hire me due to an employment gap. When employers say they can't fill those positions, but are unwilling to hire candidates with employment gaps, that tells me there is a huge disconnect with reality on the employer's end.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount QA opportunities in Sacramento especially in favor of desktop support jobs. That is unless one has no real interest in that field. Some want nothing to do with either which is understandable yet more about personal preferences, abilities, etc... But if you do a quick comparison of openings there are quite a few more QA positions currently open. Granted these are gross numbers and some positions in each field would not necessarily be a good fit especially those requiring more years of experience or specializations. But there are definitely more than a few QA job openings. Certainly more than two companies.

QA = 497
Desktop Support = 140

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:55 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,388,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The state is somewhat unique in the way that they weight experience. Try city and county jobs instead. This site is pretty good for checking municipal and county job openings: https://www.calopps.org/

Apply for everything with help desk or IT support in the title https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=help+d...o+County%2C+CA
The state is supposed to be unique. The problem with this is you will have people interviewing you. People have biases. My experience with several interviews with the state is in one case there was that same concern over employment gaps as in the private sector. In another interview, they were concerned with my employment gap in IT even though the position was for a GIS technician. I've run into the same issue with Sacramento County.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:05 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,388,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to discount QA opportunities in Sacramento especially in favor of desktop support jobs. That is unless one has no real interest in that field. Some want nothing to do with either which is understandable yet more about personal preferences, abilities, etc... But if you do a quick comparison of openings there are quite a few more QA positions currently open. Granted these are gross numbers and some positions in each field would not necessarily be a good fit especially those requiring more years of experience or specializations. But there are definitely more than a few QA job openings. Certainly more than two companies.

QA = 497
Desktop Support = 140

Derek
The number of results you posted doesn't mean anything. QA as a title isn't limited to IT work and is often used as another name for a quality support role, so the results are very likely showing QA from a variety of different industries. Also, many companies use other names instead of Desktop support. Those include help desk, PC technician, end user support, IT support, IT technician, technical support, network support, network technician, PC support, and many others because the people writing the job descriptions don't know the difference between the different job titles.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The number of results you posted doesn't mean anything. QA as a title isn't limited to IT work and is often used as another name for a quality support role, so the results are very likely showing QA from a variety of different industries. Also, many companies use other names instead of Desktop support. Those include help desk, PC technician, end user support, IT support, IT technician, technical support, network support, network technician, PC support, and many others because the people writing the job descriptions don't know the difference between the different job titles.
My main point is there more than a couple companies hiring for QA including those which are IT related. Of course there are some from other industries. But that doesn't negate the facts of openings in IT as well. Saying there are only two companies hiring is really missing the boat. That said, it's not really worth quibbling over. I posted those numbers not to argue but rather so the OP could actually see the jobs for himself which are there if one really looks.

Derek

Old 10-14-2018, 03:08 AM

289 posts, read 464,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

No. Just no. Sac is gub mint jobs, healthcare, logistics (warehouse and trucking) utilities, and service jobs. And a bunch of small companies or regional operations for large companies.

For a metro area, Sac is like what, a top 20 market? Yet it's GDP rank is not in line with it's metro rank. LA is number 2, NYC number 1. Yet Sac can't hit 20? SAD.

But Sac lacks the human capital to better itself!!!!
True regarding Sacramento in general but areas around Sac like Folsom, Rocklin or Roseville have more upper end fortune 500 private sector. Still at its heart its all government and industrial/healthcare. It's slowly changing though.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:53 AM

17 posts, read 10,450 times
Quote:
And... LOL... support engineer.

Support. Engineer.

I mean... really?

Old 10-14-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The state is somewhat unique in the way that they weight experience. Try city and county jobs instead. This site is pretty good for checking municipal and county job openings: https://www.calopps.org/

Apply for everything with help desk or IT support in the title https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=help+d...o+County%2C+CA
Worth giving a try. I'll look into those this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Your biggest problem is lack of current experience. So I would say why not try Hello Tech? It gets you paid experience, right? I doubt you'll find anyone on the forum with experience working for them. But you can check the reviews from those who do here: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/He...s-E1410121.htm

If you start with them that could potentially lead to other opportunities. Heck, any temp service would be good just to get back into the workforce. If current experience is critical, which I think it is, that is what you need to get in any shape or form you can find it! Even if temporary, low pay, etc... it is still experience.

Otherwise, it could be time to change career directions. But most other careers are going to want some experience as well. You just have to find a way to get off the ground after the long break.

Derek
One thing I wish I had was contacts. Everyone I know has zero contacts in IT. I need to get to know someone who knows someone. Sacramento's IT community seems to be air tight. I rarely meet anyone in the field, and anyone I meet claims to know no one and no openings.

I didn't even find dating to be this hard.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Worth giving a try. I'll look into those this week.

One thing I wish I had was contacts. Everyone I know has zero contacts in IT. I need to get to know someone who knows someone. Sacramento's IT community seems to be air tight. I rarely meet anyone in the field, and anyone I meet claims to know no one and no openings.

I didn't even find dating to be this hard.
Yes, having contacts plays a big role in the grand scheme of things. Many of the folks we hire are through referrals of some kind whether that be from a fellow employee, professor on campus we work with, friend of a friend, etc... That's not to say we don't interview folks with really good resumes who bubble to the top of the HR machine. But especially when their are special circumstances having an internal contact really helps.

An example related to QA is a coworker's girlfriend who graduated with a degree in drama, yes drama! Well, she couldn't find work post graduation. Big surprise there. She also had done a 'little' bit of website support type stuff while in school, nothing major. Long story short, we needed more QA staff at the time and her boyfriend gave us her resume. Someone in management he talked with said, sure, why not give her a shot? Now she loves her job even if it has Zero to do with her college education. Although more of an edge case, it is much more common to get referrals that we may not otherwise have looked at. It's just the nature of the beast even in IT as it is with most other industries. Relationships are still very important even in tech. There definitely is some truth in it that old saying about it not just being 'what' you know but who.

Derek

Old 10-14-2018, 05:03 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,965,237 times
Economy has been booming for a half dozen years. Not sure how someone could have current gaps in employment in this economy, barring a health or family issue

Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Economy has been booming for a half dozen years. Not sure how someone could have current gaps in employment in this economy, barring a health or family issue
Well if they had gaps that started during the crash of 2008, when the economy started "booming" (as you can tell, employers won't hire people without experience) well guess what, people who got laid off in 08 would come into this "boom" with gaps.

If this were a real boom gaps wouldn't be a problem. The fact that employers are still that picky and will not tolerate gaps, much less train employees who are educated, trained and willing to learn, completely negates the idea that there's a boom happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or