U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:12 PM

17 posts, read 10,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, having contacts plays a big role in the grand scheme of things. Many of the folks we hire are through referrals of some kind whether that be from a fellow employee, professor on campus we work with, friend of a friend, etc... That's not to say we don't interview folks with really good resumes who bubble to the top of the HR machine. But especially when their are special circumstances having an internal contact really helps.

An example related to QA is a coworker's girlfriend who graduated with a degree in drama, yes drama! Well, she couldn't find work post graduation. Big surprise there. She also had done a 'little' bit of website support type stuff while in school, nothing major. Long story short, we needed more QA staff at the time and her boyfriend gave us her resume. Someone in management he talked with said, sure, why not give her a shot? Now she loves her job even if it has Zero to do with her college education. Although more of an edge case, it is much more common to get referrals that we may not otherwise have looked at. It's just the nature of the beast even in IT as it is with most other industries. Relationships are still very important even in tech. There definitely is some truth in it that old saying about it not just being 'what' you know but who.

Derek
Ugh, I keep trying to give you reputation but the website won't let me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 02:10 AM

5,240 posts, read 5,564,542 times
OP, Have you seen this Top 40 Technology companies in Sacramento Area.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...companies.html

1. Intel, 6,000 employees
2. Apple, 5,000 employee
3. Hewlett-Packard, 2,000 employees
4. Aerojet, 1,033 employees
5. Micron Tech, 510 employees
6. Oracle, 500 employees

Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
OP, Have you seen this Top 40 Technology companies in Sacramento Area.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...companies.html

1. Intel, 6,000 employees
2. Apple, 5,000 employee
3. Hewlett-Packard, 2,000 employees
4. Aerojet, 1,033 employees
5. Micron Tech, 510 employees
6. Oracle, 500 employees
I've tried Intel, Apple, Oracle, and HP. They want people with tons of recent experience. What about Micron and Aerojet? Any spots for educated+no-experience-necessary?

Old 10-16-2018, 03:15 PM

132 posts, read 496,795 times
My dept (State of CA) just hired someone as a network associate with absolutely no experience in IT. Has an Econ degree. Bosses hired him because there are no good candidates out there.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 5,391,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Economy has been booming for a half dozen years. Not sure how someone could have current gaps in employment in this economy, barring a health or family issue
Simple. They just never get hired because they don't have a job. That is a disqualifying factor for many employers, and in my experience, every one of them I've been able to talk to. Other things that may be factored in include age, what your name is (multiple studies show employers have a bias against ethnic sounding names), and what neighborhood you live in.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:56 AM

2,511 posts, read 5,391,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
I've tried Intel, Apple, Oracle, and HP. They want people with tons of recent experience. What about Micron and Aerojet? Any spots for educated+no-experience-necessary?
Aerojet is going away. I've applied for several positions at Micron and haven't heard anything.

I applied for a position as a GIS technician at Apple Maps. They wanted someone in the Sacramento area who is familiar with the Sacramento metro area, the Sacramento Valley, Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley. I have an associate's in GIS from American River College here in Sacramento and a bachelor's in geography from CSU, Fresno. I got a call from someone at Apple who had the largest issue with comprehension I've ever encountered. He kept repeating that they really needed someone who is familiar with the Sacramento area even though I told him I've lived here for over twenty years, then asking me why I got my bachelor's at CSU, Fresno, which is because I used to live there. He would then ask me if I knew much about that area of California. I found myself constantly repeating that I've lived in both Fresno and Sacramento. The call ended with him telling me they really need to find someone who is familiar with Sacramento. It was a really strange conversation.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Kid View Post
My dept (State of CA) just hired someone as a network associate with absolutely no experience in IT. Has an Econ degree. Bosses hired him because there are no good candidates out there.
That's the lowest rung on the ladder, right? Care to say what department that is? I'll be glad to start out at the bottom!

Old 10-18-2018, 06:37 AM

921 posts, read 1,805,087 times
I feel for you, JobHunter- my husband has followed somewhat the same route you have, except he wasn't out of work due to a disability for 18 years, however, he changed careers mid-stream- meaning he wasn't lower 30-something when he decided to go after that career change, lol. He had been working in the medical field for a few years, strangely enough in a govt. capacity (I noticed some posts suggesting going after a govt. job if someone is middle-age, and after some years of watching the 'writing on the wall', as it were, I have to most definitely agree- not only that, it seems to pay pretty decent, good benefits, and more stable than most..let's just say a person could do a lot worse, lol)

ANYway...lol

He went into (or should I say 'wanted' to go into) IT- obtained two Master's degrees, Software Engineering and IT Mgmt (I think, lol), Java, the whole nine yards-I'm not super tech-savvy, so the things I'm saying are from a (very) green point of view- however...we're talking middle-age here, new career choice, and where you seem to find yourself at the moment: no experience to speak of-whereas you seem to have been out of the tech loop for quite a long time, he was never in it to begin with. Those who say that tech is biased in favor of 20-30 somethings are spot on, it is. It sucks to say it, it isn't legal, but it's true and age discrimination is not only alive and well, it's almost impossible to prove. Example: he had an interview where the company flew him out, put him up in a hotel, took him out to dinner, and didn't hire him. Why? He's very intelligent, very personable and has a complete knack for picking up IT stuff really, really quick and understanding it (honestly, I'm not just saying that, either, he really does..)...but the entire panel who interviewed him were in their early to mid 20s. The 'culture' of the company on their website showed the employees hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, white-water rafting, you get the picture. He didn't fit in with their culture. He was definitely qualified, but his mistake was in applying thinking that his knowledge/degree/intelligence/ability to pick up would be the deciding factors in whether or not he would get the job, and that really was only a very small portion of it. Right then and there, he realized that in spite of his qualifications, there were quite a few companies out there that he just didn't apply to, given this type of experience/company mindset. It was a smack, for sure, but what do you do-get up, dust yourself off, move on, learn from it, lol.

So that's the crappy side of the situation, lol. However, it DOES get better, or at least in our case it did, lol.

He finally did get a job in the finance industry in their IT dept. Someone gave him a chance, and that was the 'foot in the door'. The second interesting thing that came of this particular job, even though the pay was pretty dismal and he took a pay/benefit cut by taking this job (over the govt. one he had) was the fact that the particular job he would be doing was with a 'big deal' software that he knew zilch about, lol. He was given training/classes for certifications, etc., he really did excel at it, and it gave him a niche. The software is used world-wide, but not like...MS, or anything like that. He was with the company for a couple of years, and in all honesty he couldn't go anywhere else with it- not to mention the fact that the company was in the midst of a buyout and he wasn't so sure how the job security would pan out...The one job-hunting problem he had was the fact that the area we lived in at that time didn't have much of a market for this particular software at all- even though it was a good-sized, metro area. So that left us having to decide whether or not we would go where the jobs were for this, or...stay and hope for the best. There were maybe three or four states where the jobs for this particular software were abundant, and we narrowed it down to where we would most likely want to end up between them. To make a very long story a little bit shorter, he landed a govt. job that pays very well, handling the particular software that his niche is in. We had to move out of state- we had three weeks to do it. It sucked, it's been so stressful it's pathetic, lol- but it's a great job and it was worth it.

Ok, so...I guess the point I'm trying to make is this, for the OP: what you are doing, or trying to do, can be done- but you will probably have to get more up to speed on the latest technology, because one thing IT is all about is the fact that almost as soon as something new comes out on the market, it's practically obsolete and the newest thing is right behind it- it's a constant, constant learning thing. If you can find something in govt., more than likely Help Desk-related, and they are willing to give it to you, jump on it- at this point you are in a situation where you have to position yourself with someone who is willing to take a chance on your years of being out of the loop, you know? You will have to almost re-invent yourself and ...well, basically sell yourself to a company and convince them why they should take a chance on you. When my husband started looking for IT positions I was on the computer almost constantly, hitting every website I could find on 'how to', 'where to', Forbes, IT forums, you name it, trying to get on top of things and find out what we needed to know, and as up-to-date as possible.

I know that was a horribly long story, lol- but I hope something in it helped a little- meanwhile, good luck in your search- now, I need more coffee- LOL

Last edited by mostie; 10-18-2018 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-20-2018, 12:39 PM

289 posts, read 464,988 times
Talk to a temp agency. I see plenty of temp tech recruiters looking for people who want entry level tech jobs

Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 PM

6,111 posts, read 13,178,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
Talk to a temp agency. I see plenty of temp tech recruiters looking for people who want entry level tech jobs
Yep, that's the best way to jump back into the workforce especially with longer term gigs looking for recent experience.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or