U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 11:05 PM

17 posts, read 10,444 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the necro thread, but... I found a tech job a month ago! It's the lowest tier but it's a tech job! Can't say who they are (to protect my identity) but they're really a bunch of nice guys. Here's to hoping I keep it for a long time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 09:16 AM

656 posts, read 616,255 times
I am in software development with 6 years of experience. Interested in moving to the area (have family there, and I lived there for a couple of years as a kid in the late 80s), but wow, software jobs are few and far between! There just aren't that many listings. At this point I'm looking for a remote job, that way the Sacramento tech scene won't matter and we can move there whenever.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:32 PM

921 posts, read 917,773 times
@JobHunter2018, congrats! I ended up leaving private sector after I was laid off in 2017 and took a state IT job. Pay is less but job security better and not as many hours working like I was in private sector. So far like it especially after moving up to a larger better agency with better pay. Private sector has been dead for most tech jobs in the past few years unless you have the latest certifications in cloud or a PhD in machine learning or some rare in demand skillset due to H1b/OPT/H4 EAD and outsourcing of jobs to India/China.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:48 AM

2,511 posts, read 5,387,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
@JobHunter2018, congrats! I ended up leaving private sector after I was laid off in 2017 and took a state IT job. Pay is less but job security better and not as many hours working like I was in private sector. So far like it especially after moving up to a larger better agency with better pay. Private sector has been dead for most tech jobs in the past few years unless you have the latest certifications in cloud or a PhD in machine learning or some rare in demand skillset due to H1b/OPT/H4 EAD and outsourcing of jobs to India/China.
Actually, the private sector isn't dead. What is going on is almost all of the private sector IT jobs are through agencies like Teksystems, Modis, etc. They are very discriminatory in their hiring practices and the practice is to rotate people out of their positions every six months or a year to keep people searching for jobs and to put pressure on people to take jobs at a lower pay rate than they would if they could find permanent full-time jobs.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:15 PM

17 posts, read 10,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I am in software development with 6 years of experience. Interested in moving to the area (have family there, and I lived there for a couple of years as a kid in the late 80s), but wow, software jobs are few and far between! There just aren't that many listings. At this point I'm looking for a remote job, that way the Sacramento tech scene won't matter and we can move there whenever.
Far as I know, most of those jobs went overseas in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Actually, the private sector isn't dead. What is going on is almost all of the private sector IT jobs are through agencies like Teksystems, Modis, etc. They are very discriminatory in their hiring practices and the practice is to rotate people out of their positions every six months or a year to keep people searching for jobs and to put pressure on people to take jobs at a lower pay rate than they would if they could find permanent full-time jobs.
And those are the more reputable agencies. Let's not even talk about recruiters like Infosys...

Quote:
A state job is definitely what I am aiming for. State tests now emphasize experience over training; my training scored me in the 90s before, but last time due to my lack of experience but I had certs and a degree? 75. So now I'm getting the experience to beef up my score and get faster consideration.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:28 PM

22 posts, read 10,388 times
I hope not, I would love to live in Sacramento and actually afford to rent a house working entry level in tech.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:22 PM

Sacramento is VERY EXPENSIVE place to live here so hate to break it to you but you won't be affording a home here on one entry level salary.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:05 PM

22 posts, read 10,388 times
Quote:
Sacramento is VERY EXPENSIVE place to live here so hate to break it to you but you won't be affording a home here on one entry level salary.
A search on zillow shows options in Sacramento for houses ranging from 12-1400. If you make 45,000, this is viable with some breathing room.

edit: 50,000 is a typical starting salary in software sales in San Francisco/Oakland.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:46 PM

Rents for apartments are at those rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or