U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:50 PM

17 posts, read 10,440 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Been out of the tech world for 18 years due to a disability and now back in with an A+ Certification and an Associates in Network Administration... but after hunting for computer repair or tech support work for four years I still can't find a single job in this whole county! Everyone turns me down saying I have no recent experience.

How do you even get experience with no job?

Anyone have experience with Hello Tech? I'm considering that now as a last ditch move.

LOL and they're saying there are jobs everywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 01:26 PM

4,611 posts, read 8,396,439 times
Are you middle aged or somewhere around there? Tech jobs are for the young, foreign, and cheap. If you belong to one of the protected classes, apply for a government job.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:40 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,699,512 times
Alot has changed in tech in the last 5 years let alone the last 18. The days of "computer repair" are in the past, that term alone makes you sound like your from the 90's.

You may need to start at the bottom doing desktop support and work your way up again.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Alot has changed in tech in the last 5 years let alone the last 18. The days of "computer repair" are in the past, that term alone makes you sound like your from the 90's.

You may need to start at the bottom doing desktop support and work your way up again.
Agreed, I've been trying to get a desktop support job to work my way up from the bottom. Just need to find a "no experience necessary" job.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Are you middle aged or somewhere around there? Tech jobs are for the young, foreign, and cheap. If you belong to one of the protected classes, apply for a government job.
I did that, I scored low on the new 2018-based State system thanks to the lack of experience. Barely qualified due to my certification and education.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:39 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,386,701 times
Desktop support jobs are also very difficult to get. Many employers expect Access/SQL knowledge, administration skills, and and quite a few other things that really aren't the role of a desktop support technician. I don't see many entry level jobs posted and those that are entry-level are looking for someone to be on-call, drive their own vehicle for 25 cents a mile, and pay $15.00 an hour.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 PM

35,151 posts, read 16,237,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Hello,

Been out of the tech world for 18 years due to a disability and now back in with an A+ Certification and an Associates in Network Administration... but after hunting for computer repair or tech support work for four years I still can't find a single job in this whole county! Everyone turns me down saying I have no recent experience.

How do you even get experience with no job?

Anyone have experience with Hello Tech? I'm considering that now as a last ditch move.

LOL and they're saying there are jobs everywhere...
You might try Best Buy or Staples for "geek squad" type gigs, but those jobs don't pay much. You might want to update your skills, from what I understand an MCSA with cloud and infrastructure is still a valuable certification.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You might try Best Buy or Staples for "geek squad" type gigs, but those jobs don't pay much. You might want to update your skills, from what I understand an MCSA with cloud and infrastructure is still a valuable certification.
Ah, tried Best Buy, they didn't want me... not enough experience. Has anyone tried Hello Tech? I kinda need money to get MCSA training and certification...

Old 10-06-2018, 08:00 AM

35,151 posts, read 16,237,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Ah, tried Best Buy, they didn't want me... not enough experience. Has anyone tried Hello Tech? I kinda need money to get MCSA training and certification...
I looked it up, it doesn't sound like a viable full time job. Why not forget trying to find work that are specifically in computer repair or IT for now and apply for other jobs? Kinkos hires people with computer skills. You might also look at police dispatching if you can type well and don't have a criminal history entry level dispatcher is a decent job with a potential for earning 60-80k a year a pension and great benefits. Costco pays well and has great benefits.

I don't know enough about your skills or work experience so it's hard to make more specific suggestions

Old 10-07-2018, 12:19 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,963,581 times
Sac is a dead zone for most industries.

You have to translate your skill set into government work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or