Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 20,317 times

Advertisements

I'm so confused...we may be moving to the Sacramento area from Seattle. We live in a suburb on the Eastside that has great schools and is very family oriented. Where do you suggest to go in Sac area?

What are the differences between Elk Grove, Folsom, Wilton, Roseville, El Dorado, Rancho Cordova, Rocklin, and Granite Bay? We need to keep the price of the house around $500K. Great school and great community is of the upmost importance. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,117,608 times
For what you seem to be seeking, and your price range, I would think Folsom and Rocklin would be my first picks. Both are very nice and well developed suburban areas with a lot of conveniences.

Roseville has some nice areas and some so-so areas, and they have had a bit of a discussion about poor air quality and cancer risks:

http://www.sacbreathe.org/Local%20St...ember%2007.pdf

El Dorado Hills and Granite Bay are a bit more expensive, so you get a little less house for the money. Also, parts of these areas may be a little "snooty", so you may not feel quite as home as fast as Rocklin or Folsom.

Elk Grove has some nice areas and some so-so areas. I wouldn't go there if I could find something I liked in one of the other places.

Wilton is actually a very rural type area, without much in terms of landscaping. Just homes on large multi-acre lots, but not very attractive (yet).

Rrancho Cordova and Mather is early in their development process, and some major builders (Pulte and Centex) have taken big losses and pulled out of the area due to the failure of much of the plans to actually be executed. It may be nice someday, and homes are a bargain there, but there is some risk of things maybe taking years to happen.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,661,130 times
I'm orginally from Sac and moved to Seattle and we are moving back to Sac (I'm SOOOOO HAPPY)

Tell me what you like about the Eastside and what you don't - exactly where are you and are you looking for the same thing??

I can give you the right spot for you

Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Here are my comparisons

Elk Grove,- Middle of the road like Lynnwood
Folsom, - very down to earth North Bend/Issaquah
Wilton, - out in the boonies like Duvall
Roseville, -This is Redmond/Bellevue-ish
El Dorado, -This is like Woodinville/Snoqualmie Ridge
Rancho Cordova, - Renton or Kent
Rocklin, - Issaquah/Sammamish
and Granite Bay - Swankiest Bellevue areas $$$

Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Thank you so much for the info...the city to city comparison was just what I needed! Looks like we need to narrow our search to Roseville, Folsom, and Rocklin!

As far as the Eastside goes, we live in Sammamish, and I love it! (The weather is the pits, so if we do have to move that will but one bonus!) The schools are fantastic and we have a great community of friends. If I didn't have a family, though, I wouldn't necessarily choose to live here...it is very family orientated. The housing is pricier than other areas, but we have also had incredible appreciation.

Traffic is lousey, but luckily we don't have to commute so that's not an issue for us.

The

Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,768,413 times
It sounds like Roseville, Rocklin, and Folsom would all fit your needs. I would also consider Davis, it is a college town, yet also very family oriented. It is a bit more expensive.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:15 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,255,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Here are my comparisons

Elk Grove,- Middle of the road like Lynnwood
Folsom, - very down to earth North Bend/Issaquah
Wilton, - out in the boonies like Duvall
Roseville, -This is Redmond/Bellevue-ish
El Dorado, -This is like Woodinville/Snoqualmie Ridge
Rancho Cordova, - Renton or Kent
Rocklin, - Issaquah/Sammamish
and Granite Bay - Swankiest Bellevue areas $$$
Yes, good comparisons...in fact, excellent comparisons. Also, with the more pronounced decline in metro Sac house prices, you should do very well in those bolded areas for that price....you will definitely want and can get stucco + tile roof + 3rd car garage.

Couple of minor exceptions: El Dorado is more like Granite Bay than Woodinville (I once lived in Woodinville) and Rancho Cordova picks up Gold River in the 95670 zip, which is very cookie cutter but nice. Someone said Davis.....arrrgh....it reminds me of the Midwest, so I would avoid it and get the foothill California experience instead.

City, which part of metro Sac are you heading to or do you know yet?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM

My husband is interviewing for a job in the Sacramento area, so it is not written in stone. I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself as I have lived in the Seattle area since I was three! I'm fighting the need to replicate our Sammamish Plateau experience if we do have to move. Sometimes I think we are crazy to live here because of the high price of housing and that we should have moved to Bonney Lake or something to get an incredible house w/ a better lot. but, we have kids in school, and I we never wanted to transplant them. However, if we do have to move out of state, I really want to be able to get more house for the money and don't want to be stuck thinking we need to move to a Plateau type area.

I am scared to death to buy in the market it down there...we've had such incredible luck w/ the appreciation of our real estate up here that I'd be worried we'd buy and then have the market drop even more. the prices are still higher in the areas you all mentioned (Rocklin, Folsom, Roseville,) than Elk Grove, and what if the market dive just hasn't hit those areas yet?

Man, I hope we don't have to move!!!!]

Thank you for the help!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:44 PM

I'm trying to get a job down there too (been interviewing)

But I desperately want to move. If we do - we will probably live in Folsom because of the family area and good schools (I'd much rather live in Midtown or next to Mckinley Park, I will be there again someday, probably after the kids leave the nest)

Anyway, we will be renting. We will sell the house up here and not buy til 2009. I want to watch the market through one more winter.

If I had my way we'd all be there this June, but it's up to the Job Gods, on what time I get to move. It's so hard trying to move with out a job because we REALLY need my income. (I sure hope he's not interviewing for jobs I want! )

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Location: Beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains, Murphys, Arnold, Dorrington, Bear Valley
5 posts, read 19,380 times
You know you may want to also consider the Valley Springs area in Calaveras County. It's not too bad of a commute to Sacramento and it's a great place to live. Let me know if you'd like more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento