Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:29 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
What you read above in terms of weather is correct, BUT winters are cloudier and foggier than Irvine.
Yes, I mentioned they average 10° cooler :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 08:38 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hmmm...some Sacramento Bee newspaper weather forecasts for fog in last couple years with quick Google search:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...126798889.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...126610509.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...114119713.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...120356238.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...116831368.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...e56607998.html

Really, what is your agenda? Why not just tell the truth about the area? You can still say you like it anyway. But, I don't understand misleading people about the truth. Although "next" to non-existent does mean it exists...but putting "non-existent" in all caps....
I just read those articles, but none of them describes conditions nearly as bad as how it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. Those articles show morning fog till 9 or 10 a.m. burning back to Sunshine, and only for a couple of days. Back when I was a kid, the fog would last 24/7 for weeks at a time. The region was famous for low Winter fog. The amount of Night and Morning fog these days is minor and certainly not worthy of special mention. Where I live in San Diego at 900 feet, we probably had at least a dozen or 15 nights of dense fog just since the end of September, and we're not known for fog. A little fog is just part of living anywhere. But it's become a very irregular feature in Sacramento that used to be a "thing."

Old 11-01-2018, 11:41 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I just read those articles, but none of them describes conditions nearly as bad as how it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. Those articles show morning fog till 9 or 10 a.m. burning back to Sunshine, and only for a couple of days. Back when I was a kid, the fog would last 24/7 for weeks at a time. The region was famous for low Winter fog. The amount of Night and Morning fog these days is minor and certainly not worthy of special mention. Where I live in San Diego at 900 feet, we probably had at least a dozen or 15 nights of dense fog just since the end of September, and we're not known for fog. A little fog is just part of living anywhere. But it's become a very irregular feature in Sacramento that used to be a "thing."
Thanks for that, tstieber. And when it was known as a "thing" we sort of exaggerated it as well. Look at this chart which goes back well before climate change made the fog disappear in Sacramento. There were and are a lot of other places in the nation that get more fog than Sac.

Here is the link for my source:

Annual Days of Cloud and Fog at US Cities - Current Results

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ity-annual.php

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-01-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 07:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
So, when you're trying to commute to work in the morning, and you can't even see the bumper of the car in front of you 2 feet away - it's okay if the fog burns off by lunchtime? Which has always been normal?

Why aren't you guys telling people the truth?

Tule fog, even if it burns off by noon, means that you can't see your hand in front of your face. It means that your headlights are worthless. It means that you can't see the lines in the road or the car in front of you, or even the streetlights.

So, you have to leave really early to be to work on time in the morning, because traffic will be crawling at maybe 10mph - or should be. But, the good news is, if you live to make it to your evening commute, maybe there won't be fog on your way home.

Just be honest you guys. If you don't mind dealing with this, then just say so. Just say - hey, the tule fog is horrible to deal with, but we love it here anyway.

But, don't try to tell people it's insignificant. Because it's not. Many people, including me, lived in the area and chose to move away - because of the fog, the hot summers, the horrible air quality, etc.

And yes, the air quality is horrible. Between the pollen count and the smog and pollution caused from everything getting stuck in the valley, along with all of the agricultural plowing and burning and spraying - and yes, those agricultural small planes are so fun to watch while they are spraying chemicals on the fields -- the air quality is god-awful. Because everything just sits in the valley. There is a lot of junk being put into the air in that area from smog and agriculture - and it just sits there. Just like the fog.

Your version of the truth is silly. Hey, it's only zero visibility until noon = fog isn't a problem?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:04 PM

There is next to ZERO tule fog in Sacramento....for the past 5-7 years. We are telling the truth, in fact, Silicon Valley has more FOG throughout the year than Sacramento.

Last winter there was only one(1), yes only one morning when I awoke to low lying fog in my Sacramento neighborhood it was gone by sunrise! I was actually happy about it as I miss it....more of that Season change thing....taking walks or running in it is cool too, (of course driving in it is not good).

Sacramento is NOT the San Joaquin Valley where they still get Tule fog. There is next to ZERO agriculture spraying in Sac, the small farms in the Sacramento area tend to be small Organic Farms as well.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-01-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 09:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
There is next to ZERO tule fog in Sacramento....for the past 5-7 years. We are telling the truth, in fact, Silicon Valley has more FOG throughout the year than Sacramento.

Last winter there was only one(1), yes only one morning when I awoke to low lying fog in my Sacramento neighborhood it was gone by sunrise!

Sacramento is NOT the San Joaquin Valley where they still get Tule fog. There is next to ZERO agriculture spraying in Sac, the small farms in the Sacramento area tend to be small Organic Farms as well.
We got more fog in Davis last winter, for sure.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 PM

And the rice fields are not organic and are huge....and they burn them and spray them with chemicals using crop duster airplanes...

And then there are the non organic giant tomato fields... Sacramento has long been jokingly called the Big Tomato because of all of the huge tomato fields. Anyone who has ever lived in that area knows first hand the experience of watching the huge trucks with giant open containers filled with tomatoes that spill tomatoes all over the highways in the area.

But, I suppose now you'll say there is a magic bubble over the city limits that keeps all of that pollution and dust from big agriculture in the area that use huge plows that plow up the fields and put smoke in the air from the burning of the rice fields, etc.

The last time I drove through the area, I had to shut my windows and turn off the a/c and the smoke still permeated the car and burned my eyes and made me cough and I don't have asthma. The smoke was that thick from the burning of the rice fields outside of town.

The smoke and dust from plowing and chemicals from aerial spraying doesn't blow out of the area easily - it just sits there, along with the car pollution, pollen, etc.

As I say, just be real about what it's really like. Don't tell people - oh, we only have organic farms and no pollution and no fog, etc. Because that's just not true, to put it nicely.

Again, I just really have to question why you are promoting Sacramento in such a false light. I can only imagine you profit from it somehow, as in you are a real estate agent or you're with the Chamber of Commerce, etc.

And, again, I also recognize that a lot of people love Sacto anyway - there is a lot to love. But don't fib about it's negatives.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
So, when you're trying to commute to work in the morning, and you can't even see the bumper of the car in front of you 2 feet away - it's okay if the fog burns off by lunchtime? Which has always been normal?

Why aren't you guys telling people the truth?

Tule fog, even if it burns off by noon, means that you can't see your hand in front of your face. It means that your headlights are worthless. It means that you can't see the lines in the road or the car in front of you, or even the streetlights.

So, you have to leave really early to be to work on time in the morning, because traffic will be crawling at maybe 10mph - or should be. But, the good news is, if you live to make it to your evening commute, maybe there won't be fog on your way home.

Just be honest you guys. If you don't mind dealing with this, then just say so. Just say - hey, the tule fog is horrible to deal with, but we love it here anyway.

But, don't try to tell people it's insignificant. Because it's not. Many people, including me, lived in the area and chose to move away - because of the fog, the hot summers, the horrible air quality, etc.

And yes, the air quality is horrible. Between the pollen count and the smog and pollution caused from everything getting stuck in the valley, along with all of the agricultural plowing and burning and spraying - and yes, those agricultural small planes are so fun to watch while they are spraying chemicals on the fields -- the air quality is god-awful. Because everything just sits in the valley. There is a lot of junk being put into the air in that area from smog and agriculture - and it just sits there. Just like the fog.

Your version of the truth is silly. Hey, it's only zero visibility until noon = fog isn't a problem?
There is virtually no fog in Sacramento and there hasn't been for quite some time. It used to be awful, no one would deny that. In the late 90's I had a friend whose son drove off the road into a canal and died because of heavy fog. Why it's gone I'm not sure, maybe climate change but it's just never present anymore. I'm not sure why you are so down on Sacramento, I certainly don't see all of these problems that you claim exist and I have no reason to lie about it.

As far as agriculture, where is it that you experience all of this plowing, burning and spraying? It used to be prevalent in northern Solano County but there aren't many crops being grown there, most farmers have switched to almond or pecan orchards.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
And the rice fields are not organic and are huge....and they burn them and spray them with chemicals using crop duster airplanes...

And then there are the non organic giant tomato fields... Sacramento has long been jokingly called the Big Tomato because of all of the huge tomato fields. Anyone who has ever lived in that area knows first hand the experience of watching the huge trucks with giant open containers filled with tomatoes that spill tomatoes all over the highways in the area.

But, I suppose now you'll say there is a magic bubble over the city limits that keeps all of that pollution and dust from big agriculture in the area that use huge plows that plow up the fields and put smoke in the air from the burning of the rice fields, etc.

The last time I drove through the area, I had to shut my windows and turn off the a/c and the smoke still permeated the car and burned my eyes and made me cough and I don't have asthma. The smoke was that thick from the burning of the rice fields outside of town.

The smoke and dust from plowing and chemicals from aerial spraying doesn't blow out of the area easily - it just sits there, along with the car pollution, pollen, etc.

As I say, just be real about what it's really like. Don't tell people - oh, we only have organic farms and no pollution and no fog, etc. Because that's just not true, to put it nicely.

Again, I just really have to question why you are promoting Sacramento in such a false light. I can only imagine you profit from it somehow, as in you are a real estate agent or you're with the Chamber of Commerce, etc.

And, again, I also recognize that a lot of people love Sacto anyway - there is a lot to love. But don't fib about it's negatives.
The only people who grow tomatoes in Sacramento are people like me and my neighbors, we grow them in our backyards and front yards. Long long time ago, Sacramento had several tomato processing plants, hence the BIG TOMATO, ya know, like the BIG APPLE, we love the name too by the way. Oh, wait, we may still have the Campbells Soup Processing Plant,

and we have an Almond Processing plant and its awesome, its smells so good, aromatic confectionary chocolate smells lingers in that Sacramento neighborhood. BTW, the worlds leader on everything Almonds is in Sacramento, there is a really cool laboratory where they invent new Almond based products.......like Almond Milk!

No, Sacramento does not burn rice fields, no rice burning in decades....this person really lives in the past....they have not allowed rice burning since God knows 30 years ago. We don't have large rice fields near Sacramento, nor large tomato fields, we never have, Sacramento processed the tomatos grown elsewhere, but we didn't grow them. No low-flying pesticide planes.

Sacramento is City, there are no dust croppers anywhere near Sacramento.....maybe in 1975 there were few nearby.

This kind of vitriol is why we are so PROUD NOT to be part of the BaaaahhhAreeaaah.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-01-2018 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 PM

To put a scale to the agriculture in the Sacramento Valley, so people can understand the air quality problems:

"The natural levees that border the Sacramento-Feather River system create backwater basins of heavy clay soils that sustain rice farms and duck clubs. Truck, field, orchard, and rice crops are grown on approximately 2.1 million acres; rice represents about 23% of the total acreage."

https://ca.water.usgs.gov/projects/c...to-valley.html

Please note: There are over 2 million acres in crops - and rice represents 23% of that, which is close to half a million acres in rice alone.

Video of rice harvesting in Sacramento Valley:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article175237571.html

California Rice Commission website about rice growing in the Sacramento Valley:

Calrice

The California Rice Commission's headquarters is located in the city of Sacramento.

And yes, they can still burn their fields, if they can show that the crops have enough disease that it will impact their profits, under the laws that were passed to slow down the burning. So, no, burning was not banned. And in fact, they were given permission to apply for permits through 2020 a few years ago:

Rice Counties approved for Conditional Rice Straw Burning | California Rice News

Just a year and a half ago, when I drove through the Sacramento area, I drove through heavy smoke from the rice fields on Hwy 505, which I took from I-5 just north of Sacramento, on my way to the SF Bay Area. They were burning rice fields right along Hwy 505, and I could barely breathe, even with the car closed up tight, and my eyes were burning something awful.

And that air sits in the Sacramento Valley. The city of Sacramento is in the Sacramento Valley - and shares the air. Which anyone with half a brain would understand.

And even though they aren't burning as much as they used to, what they do now instead, is they either plow the straw back into the soil - creating an enormous amount of dust - or they cut the straw to sell - again, creating an enormous amount of dust.

And as to aerial spraying - because of the rice fields, etc., there is even aerial spraying for mosquitos on a regular basis. Here's a 2018 chart that shows every time there was aerial spraying in the Sacramento Valley - just for mosquitos - they sprayed dozens of times so far this year - yes in 2018:

https://www.fightthebite.net/ag-spraying-archive/

Here's a current article (2018) from the California Rice Commission's website on aerial spraying of pesticides over rice crops in the Sacramento Valley:

Aerial Applicators Take Preseason Seriously

And here is the 2018 tomato processing report with break-downs by counties. There are thousands of acres in the Sacramento Valley that grow tomatoes:

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics...201805ptom.pdf

And that's just two crops.

I don't hate Sacramento, although I would never live there again because of the weather and the horrible air quality. There was a lot I really liked about it, especially the art and music scene. My issue here is disinformation.

Don't tell people that a city in the middle of a valley that harvests millions of acres of crops - that are not farmed organically - won't affect the air quality in that city. And by the way, organic farmers can still use chemicals. Even organic pesticides can kill fish in a stream. They just kill fish for a week instead of a hundred years. But, that doesn't mean they are safe to breathe, etc. And, let's not downplay the dust factor.

Anyway, carry on. I've made my point. Some people will want to believe whatever they want, regardless of any facts put before them. But if they read my posts, at least they will have had the chance to consider why some people don't want to live there and why.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 11-01-2018 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento