U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 10:28 PM

996 posts, read 949,821 times

Advertisements

Yeah it sucks since I ride a bike to work. Hope the smoke clears up soon. I don't remember it ever being this bad for so long ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 05:42 PM

44 posts, read 57,875 times
UC Davis hasn't had classes all week. Tomorrow's have just been canceled too. Our daughter is getting very concerned about the exams, etc. that have been postponed and all the catching up she'll have to do.

We've had our own air quality issues due to the fires here in Ventura County but it looks like it's much worse up there.

I know, a relatively minor thing compared to what many people have gone through...

Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 PM

996 posts, read 949,821 times
Fortunately I was able to work from home until this crap clears up. I never seen it last this bad. No wind or rain to clear the crap out of the city. Very bad indeed. We have worst pollution now with this mess in the entire world.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM

326 posts, read 557,993 times
I got up at 2:30 am last night to let one of my dogs out. The smoke was terrible. I checked online and the air quality index was at 427 at 2 am (anything above 301 is hazardous). I could smell the smoke inside the house -- we have original single-pane windows and doors on the first floor. I have an N95 mask, but now they're saying not to use them after all (?!) Streets are eerily deserted - most people are staying indoors.

So sick of the smoke, but we are so fortunate compared to the victims of the fires. I can't imagine the terror they experienced fleeing the flames, losing loved ones, homes, and pets, and now sleeping in their cars, tents or shelters.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:51 AM

246 posts, read 229,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
I have an N95 mask, but now they're saying not to use them after all (?!)
Regarding the N95 masks: There are some people who should not use a mask. Covering your mouth and nose with a strong filter causes you to re-breathe carbon dioxide which can exacerbate some medical conditions. Also, they are not for long-term use for anyone and they are useless if they are not fitted properly or if you have a beard. One quick and dirty test - if you can smell smoke with a mask on, it is either not the right type of mask or you have it on wrong. Masks also need to be replaced if they get dirty or damaged or if breathing becomes more difficult.

I have severe allergies and my doctor recommended I use either an N95 mask or a full respirator when I am working in the yard. I have been using the mask for years and it, along with being careful not to bring allergens into the house, has greatly reduced the number of attacks I have. I am wearing the mask any time I go outdoors right now.

Bottom line: a mask is not an invitation to spend a lot of time outdoors in this mess. If you do select to use one, inspect it before you put it on, be careful you have it on properly, and get back inside as soon as you can.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 3,525 times
The fires everywhere.

Thats very interesting...

Old 11-18-2018, 12:53 AM

19,365 posts, read 23,055,669 times
Ever stop to think what's in that smoke? If it were just a forest on fire, that's one thing, but think of what's all in a house that can burn, and a car on fire? Plastics, rubber, rugs, glue = toxins. One time, I saw a van on fire along a freeway, and as I passed I've never been exposed to such acrid stench in my life! Enough to make you want to vomit! I thought of that when I saw a whole line of burned out cars in that fire! And what are they going to do with all that debris? Where to?

Old 11-18-2018, 05:37 AM

5,319 posts, read 5,642,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever stop to think what's in that smoke? If it were just a forest on fire, that's one thing, but think of what's all in a house that can burn, and a car on fire? Plastics, rubber, rugs, glue = toxins. One time, I saw a van on fire along a freeway, and as I passed I've never been exposed to such acrid stench in my life! Enough to make you want to vomit! I thought of that when I saw a whole line of burned out cars in that fire! And what are they going to do with all that debris? Where to?
Of course we have thought about it. All the debris is going to the desert in Arizona so I've heard.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 AM

2,083 posts, read 3,370,073 times
Unless it changes:

100% chance of rain most of Wednesday, with 16 mph winds coming from the south.

If it happens, it will clear out the smoke and we can breathe again.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:14 PM

10,452 posts, read 20,237,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Maybe you should be thankful that you aren't one of those bodies in those cars and still have the "luxury" of breathing, even vomiting, at all, right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or