Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:35 PM

142 posts, read 469,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyegirl View Post
Okay, this is an outsider's point of view (who sees the incredible deal to be had in E.G. and can't bring myself to look seriously at other areas because the prices are so much better in EG)...

We live in the Seattle area and may have to relocate to Sac. My sister in law lived there are moved out to NC at the height of the market (lucky for them) so we visited about five years ago. What we saw was a family orientated area with fabulous schools.

Fast forward a few years and everyone is complaining about EG going down hill due to the over-building and fore-closures. Instead of thinking that the "bad element" will take over, is it possible that transplant people and other families taking advantage of a down-market will come in, get great deals on real estate and then build it back up to what the hopes were for EG?

If the school were lousy, then I would concur that one should stay away from the area. However, it seems the schools are still doing well. Where there are healthy schools, there is healthy real estate, in my opinion.

Maybe it is a pipe dream...to come down and offer builders $110-120 per sq ft on some of the new homes sitting vacant that they are currently asking $158 sp/ft. But, man, it sure looks good from up in Seattle. And when I look at Rocklin, Folsom, and Roseville with their resales of $150-200 a sq/ft. and to think we could get new for $120 sq/ft in EG.

Any thoughts? (Please be nice...I'm just looking for some frank discussion!)
I am in the same quandry, it's hard no to want to purchase a home that you know once the market picks back up will be worth lots more. As far as crime goes I have lived in so many places in the states (NYC, Las Vegas, West Palm Beach, Savannah) and outside the states (Paris, Milan, Oxford) crime happens everywhere. It is when good people allow themselves to be pushed out of their neighborhoods by a bad element that the real crime occurs. I'd like to think like you that maybe the decline in home prices will bring people like ourselves who just want to own their own home and live in a nice neighborhood. There are many neighborhoods in urban areas which are wonderful and safe. I will be moving to Sacramento June 1st and you can bet I will be combing the streets of Elk Grove and try and get a handle on what the exact situation is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 13,015 times
I moved into Elk Grove after the housing boom had been going for a while and was still going strong, and moved out about 2 1/2 years ago.
In my opinion, it's a relatively nice place to live, I guess, but there's really only two things in Elk Grove: Houses and Shopping. There's really nothing to DO like there is in downtown Sac or other local areas. Plus, as was mentioned earlier, there were a number of huge stories about people growing marijuana in their lovely Elk Grove homes:

http://www.kcra.com/news/9757753/detail.html
http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=20167

Last edited by fair_oaks_gamer_girl; 05-30-2008 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento