U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:06 AM

15,473 posts, read 4,392,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
It's pretty difficult to find somewhere drier than Sac in the summer. Are you sure you don't mean "wetter?"
Yeah, sorry......and cooler (depending on where in Idaho).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 10:35 AM

15,473 posts, read 4,392,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I understand that, but I'm just sayin'... I have a friend who moved from Oregon to Idaho four or five years ago and she kept complaining that it's the saddest, most depressing desolate place she's ever lived. I told her she was just a big whiner but last summer I went out to visit her and I had to agree it was pretty depressing. But that might be just where she lived in Idaho too, when I was young I lived in Mojave for a
while and I was sure that God had forsaken me.
Yeah, IMO, it would depend on where.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Idaho, mostly in the Panhandle, and a bit in the 'middle south', and in the mid east and southeast (near Yellowstone). I haven't been (in any real detail) in any part of Idaho that is north of Idaho Falls and south of Lewiston (which would include both Boise and Sun Valley). I would agree with what you mentioned if is re the 'middle south' and mid east/southeastern areas I've been to, but not much of the Panhandle. I think many parts of the Panhandle are beautiful and quite enjoyable.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:44 AM

2,818 posts, read 4,058,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
It's pretty difficult to find somewhere drier than Sac in the summer. Are you sure you don't mean "wetter?"
That's what I was thinking too. Sacramento must be one of the driest places in summer in the whole country! And it's the sunniest city on earth in July, August, and September. That would be a lot of effort to go from maybe one or two cloudy days to zero! Perhaps Idaho has the occasional Northwestern weather disturbance or an afternoon thunderstorm possibility during that season?

I also think Sacramento has plenty to offer in its own right, besides just proximity to Tahoe or the Bay Area. Of course, those are wonderful perks, but if you wanted the closest proximity to Tahoe, then I suppose you can either live in Tahoe or in Reno.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,130,407 times
I have serious doubts about the accuracy of their (Uhaul's) conclusions (that more families are moving to Sacramento (net gain) than any other city/metro in the US. Very hard to believe, even though I know your growth is rapid.

I don't need to look any further than my own town, metro Phoenix. I'd bet $$ that more families are moving to Phoenix (neg gain) than Sacramento, if for no other reason that metro Phx population is double what metro Sac's population is. And the annual population gain is greater in Phoenix than Sacramento.

I won't even mention Dallas/ Ft. Worth. It IS the fastest growing metro in the nation right now. So Uhaul messed-up their stats somehow.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:26 PM

35,271 posts, read 16,300,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I have serious doubts about the accuracy of their (Uhaul's) conclusions (that more families are moving to Sacramento (net gain) than any other city/metro in the US. Very hard to believe, even though I know your growth is rapid.

I don't need to look any further than my own town, metro Phoenix. I'd bet $$ that more families are moving to Phoenix (neg gain) than Sacramento, if for no other reason that metro Phx population is double what metro Sac's population is. And the annual population gain is greater in Phoenix than Sacramento.

I won't even mention Dallas/ Ft. Worth. It IS the fastest growing metro in the nation right now. So Uhaul messed-up their stats somehow.
Maybe people moving to Phoenix don't rent U-hauls. I don't know and don't care but I can tell you that Sacramento has a hell of a lot more people than it did a few years ago and rents have gone up really fast

Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 PM

18,177 posts, read 12,022,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What? Sacramento California is the Number 1 destination? That can't be, the right wing media keeps telling us

People are leaving California in droves!
Escaping high taxes and smothering regulations!
Millions of illegal alien voters!
The state is going bankrupt tomorrow!
Poop maps!

You mean they might not be telling the truth?
It didn't say they were moving in from another State just moving to the city.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:48 PM

209 posts, read 163,849 times
It's also just one moving company and a self help one at that. It doesn't indicate if the users are singles, couples or families. There are also quite a few full service moving companies whose user statistics would probably better reflect people moving their families for business purposes. It also doesn't account for people moving themselves either. It's simply an interesting statistic that tells part of the story but couldn't possibly tell all of it.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:24 PM

1,988 posts, read 872,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post
It's also just one moving company and a self help one at that. It doesn't indicate if the users are singles, couples or families. There are also quite a few full service moving companies whose user statistics would probably better reflect people moving their families for business purposes. It also doesn't account for people moving themselves either. It's simply an interesting statistic that tells part of the story but couldn't possibly tell all of it.
Exactly.

There’s no doubt people are moving to Sacramento, I hear it from my family there, but I take all these Uhaul stories with a grain of salt. Even in this article it says the majority are coming from the Bay Area. While that’s moving for sure, it’s still within a greater region in the same state. Something Uhaul is most used for.

How about Penske, Ryder, or Budget trucks? There’s also some traditional car rental companies getting in on the truck rental game too. What about the pod and moving companies? Most singles I’ve know that have moved out of state loaded up their car and shipped a few boxes. Everything else was sold or given away. The families I’ve known to move out, or move in, almost always have professional movers, even if it’s just across town. I guess we’ll just have to wait for the census numbers to see what cities actually saw the most growth.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 AM

101 posts, read 131,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe people moving to Phoenix don't rent U-hauls. I don't know and don't care but I can tell you that Sacramento has a hell of a lot more people than it did a few years ago and rents have gone up really fast
Yep. I agree. I can’t imagine very many people making a move all the way to DFW in a do-it-yourself U-Haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or