Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

46 therms cost me $68. If I read the bill correctly, cost per therm is around $1.45306
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Interesting. It confirms what I'd concluded. I'd been considering returning to my hometown of San Diego (I'm in Roseville now) but the high electric rates in SD were one deal breaker, among several other points more specific to my situation. My previous home in the Gold Country was all PG&E and all electric. That was bad enough. Thanks!
Come on. You're going to base the decision of moving or not moving to SD based on their electric rates? I've lived there; I barely used the heat OR the AC much because it's so mild! Consider more important criteria in your decision to move or not.

BTW, "all electric" doesn't have to = EXPENSIVE. My water heater is electric (heat pump) and so is my home's heating (heat pump.) Both are efficient ways to heat.

Also, re: SMUD. Their website is GREAT and full of useful information my electric utility doesn't provide.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Come on. You're going to base the decision of moving or not moving to SD based on their electric rates? I've lived there; I barely used the heat OR the AC much because it's so mild! Consider more important criteria in your decision to move or not.

BTW, "all electric" doesn't have to = EXPENSIVE. My water heater is electric (heat pump) and so is my home's heating (heat pump.) Both are efficient ways to heat.

Also, re: SMUD. Their website is GREAT and full of useful information my electric utility doesn't provide.
Well . . . you might have missed the part about the electric rates being part of my decision, not all of it. I'll spare you the other reasons which are specific to my unique issues and situation. I will clarify that I would be living inland due to a medical condition which precludes my living coastally. I can't tolerate temperature extremes in either direction, nor humidity, so year-round climate control is very important for me.

All electric can be an expensive way to go when you're running a well for irrigation, livestock water, and domestic water plus heating and cooling a 3000 square foot house as I was in the rural Gold Country. The temperature range one year was 9* in winter to 117* in summer. It seemed as though I had one function or the other going most of the time.

According to the OP's post, SDG&E rates for the example used were $225. I'm in Roseville now - the rate shown is $112. So double the rate indeed is a factor.

By the way, I'm a native San Diegan and lived there for half of my life, so I know what the climate and microclimates are like.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:20 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times
I only have electric and that means SMUD which stinks now with time of day rates. I try to not use any power between 5-8pm so that means eating either super early or late and playing music later at night.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:12 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
I only have electric and that means SMUD which stinks now with time of day rates. I try to not use any power between 5-8pm so that means eating either super early or late and playing music later at night.
I wonder what will happen after we are all conditioned to conserve between 5-8 p.m. Will they expand time of day rates to 3-8 p.m.? Or increase the infrastructure fee to $40? Public employees have the public by the balls every time. Someone has to pay for those fat public pensions and benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento