U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 8,514 times

Advertisements

I searched the forum and didn't find anything recent except for a poster who had a question about breed limits, so apologies if I overlooked something.

I am thinking of moving to the Sacramento area for a job near Rancho Cordova/Folsom. We have three indoor cats and one very friendly and social lab/pointer cross dog. It looks like most apartments are out, as they seem to have a two-pet limit. All four are seniors, and I'm not going to rehome them at this point. (Your comments on this are not needed or welcome. Thank you.)

We don't need a lot of yard. After our latest living experience, the dog has decided she doesn't want to spend time outside by herself other than to do her business. She wants to spend her time behind the easy chair in the living room corner.

Spacewise, at least a two-bedroom unit/duplex/house/condo/townhome. Budgetwise, $2k - 2.5k seems doable. Of course there are a number of "likes" - safe area, garage parking, easy commute...

Is there some kind of service or agent we could hire to help us locate a decent place to rent with the creatures? I've seen the recommendations for Craigslist, which is fine, but I'm also aware of the amount of CL fraud that goes on.

Are we being unrealistic for the area? I know it's tough to find rentals with pets, let alone so many, but is it completely impossible? We've owned for over 20 years, so this is a new adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 09:12 AM

101 posts, read 132,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeNative View Post
I searched the forum and didn't find anything recent except for a poster who had a question about breed limits, so apologies if I overlooked something.

I am thinking of moving to the Sacramento area for a job near Rancho Cordova/Folsom. We have three indoor cats and one very friendly and social lab/pointer cross dog. It looks like most apartments are out, as they seem to have a two-pet limit. All four are seniors, and I'm not going to rehome them at this point. (Your comments on this are not needed or welcome. Thank you.)

We don't need a lot of yard. After our latest living experience, the dog has decided she doesn't want to spend time outside by herself other than to do her business. She wants to spend her time behind the easy chair in the living room corner.

Spacewise, at least a two-bedroom unit/duplex/house/condo/townhome. Budgetwise, $2k - 2.5k seems doable. Of course there are a number of "likes" - safe area, garage parking, easy commute...

Is there some kind of service or agent we could hire to help us locate a decent place to rent with the creatures? I've seen the recommendations for Craigslist, which is fine, but I'm also aware of the amount of CL fraud that goes on.

Are we being unrealistic for the area? I know it's tough to find rentals with pets, let alone so many, but is it completely impossible? We've owned for over 20 years, so this is a new adventure.
Welcome to California where renters are treated like serfs. You’re unlikely to find something in Folsom because the owners of the homes there tend to think of themselves as “higher class” despite some of the homes looking like absolute ****. Rancho Cordova is where you’ll likely find something but I don’t know if that’s where you really want to live.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:15 AM

325 posts, read 556,028 times
Your options will be limited, but your best bet is to rent from a private, pet-friendly owner and be willing to pay a substantial pet deposit and possibly additional rent. You should also provide a stellar credit report, proof of income (typically 2.5-3x the rent), and references (for you and your pets). Try searching for pet-friendly rentals on Zillow and Trulia. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2019, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 8,514 times
Thank you guys. I am willing to pay extra deposit and rent for pets. I realize not everyone likes pets in their rental, and if the owners don't keep up with them, it can get sooooo bad.

If I may, why might we not want to live in Rancho Cordova? We're also willing to go into El Dorado County. I'm assuming la_cavaliere's comments will apply pretty much anywhere we go.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:05 PM

101 posts, read 132,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeNative View Post
Thank you guys. I am willing to pay extra deposit and rent for pets. I realize not everyone likes pets in their rental, and if the owners don't keep up with them, it can get sooooo bad.

If I may, why might we not want to live in Rancho Cordova? We're also willing to go into El Dorado County. I'm assuming la_cavaliere's comments will apply pretty much anywhere we go.
Rancho is disgusting. Lots of homes from 50s and the socio-economics are factors in higher crime rates. I lived there one year and it was awful!

Old 03-01-2019, 01:08 AM

5,093 posts, read 8,252,377 times
I live in Folsom.

Not sure it's been said already, but rentals are a hot commodity in folsom, and it's hard to find places that allow pets. Your budget is a little low for folsom, but you may be able to find something. Maybe.....I highly recommend joining the "Folsom Chat" facebook group for possible referrals. Plus, there are other related FB groups specifically for renters.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:50 AM

488 posts, read 657,050 times
You might look into a condo rental arrangement if you exceed the number of pets allowed by apartments. Either that or rent a house where the owner will allow more than 2 pets. $2000 could be do-able for an apartment/condo that's 2bd/2ba. Depending on where in Folsom, you might be able to get something for a few hundred less than that but not as nice or ideally situated. And $2500 may be do-able for a smaller house in the Folsom area. I don't know any apartments off hand that allow more than 2 pets but maybe if you talk to the rental offices, you can see if they are willing to work with you. I know that Iron Point Apts and Sherwood Apts allow pets. They have a pet fee and a pet deposit required though. Those are two of the more expensive apt complexes in the area right off of Iron Point Rd. There's also an apartment complex further east up Iron Point, called Willow Springs, which is just about as expensive. You could also consider living near the Folsom/Rancho line, where there is a sister property of Willow Springs that is a little cheaper, right across from a light rail station, but it's not as nice as Folsom. Try hotpads.com to see what homes/condos in the area are available for rent and call up the owners or management co to see if there's some flexibility on number of pets.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or