U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 02:04 AM

5,093 posts, read 8,231,339 times

Advertisements

I haven't been as active in the forum for the past couple of years because I adopted a GSD rescue that had severe separation anxiety, then a year later I got a 2nd one, and i've been busy with them.

My 1st dog is a classic looking 100 lb gentle boy, Nokie Bear, now 4.5 years old, and his buddy is Loba a black GSD 75 lbs and 3.5 years old. He had a traumatic eye injury when I first adopted him, and we opted to have the eye globe removed since he was blind.

I adopted my dogs through GCGSR's foster to adopt program. Greater California German Shepherd Rescue Home
We love traveling around town, and points beyond with the dogs for leisure or hiking. We rarely go to dog parks. We are always looking for new places to walk/hike, and belong to a dog hiking group.

(you can see their picture on my profile, or the dog album)

So, who has dogs? Did you adopt or buy from a breeder? What kind of dog? What kinds of activities do you do with your dogs?

Last edited by caligirlz; 03-12-2019 at 02:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 AM

2,818 posts, read 4,058,101 times
Huge dog lovers here! We rescued a 1 1/2 year old St Bernard five years ago. She's a bit small for her breed, only about 70 lbs, but her thick fur makes her look huge. We knew she had hip dysplasia since birth, later discovered she also had luxating patella, so she's had both knees done already, which cost a small fortune. Since then, we got insurance, and she ended up getting her spleen taken out last year. She's been through a lot! Now she's doing the best she ever has, able to do normal things, and she's with us pretty much all day, every day. She's got the most sweet and funny disposition, big personality.

Her favorite activities are moderately paced walks in different parks and neighborhoods. She doesn't really handle hikes well bc it strains the hips too much, so we do multiple shorter walks each day (up to an hour if she stops to sniff a lot). She likes short sprints on softer surfaces like grass and sand. And she loves to hang out with us in the backyard all day, which she hasn't been able to do this winter. But in summer and fall, we're outside every day with her.

And boy, does she like to eat!!

Is Loba completely blind or just in one eye?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:24 AM

5,093 posts, read 8,231,339 times
I love hearing stories like yours. Although, my dogs medical issues aren't as extensive, I completely relate to taking care of the dogs at high cost. I don't remember dog medical care to be so costly. Good thing for pet insurance.

It's actually Nokie Bear that had his left eye removed, but his right eye still works fine. The surgeon did a great job, and sometimes when you look at him it's hard to tell that his left eye is missing.
He's very sensitive, and i have to remind myself to approach him from the right. When he's snoozing, if i pet him anywhere near his head, he jumps. And he hates being hugged around the head/face.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM

3,716 posts, read 8,744,053 times
Recently lost our 9 year old golden retriever. We have a black lab adopted 8 years ago. Pug we got 2 years ago. Australian Shepard puppy we adopted a few months ago! And 2 cats.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 PM

2,083 posts, read 3,335,112 times
I have 4 dogs. A Corgi that currently has huge, severe medical issues (on top of his previous medical issues), and 3 little mixes in the 15-20 pound category, one from a rescue (the rest of the litter had been used as bait dogs) and the other two from accidental litters on Craigslist.

My Corgi is my one and only purebred dog--and never again. Way too many health issues. Mixes and mutts always seem healthier for whatever reason.

I have a huge backyard and they pretty much entertain themselves running around and chasing each other. Otherwise, it's just regular walks.

I used to take my long-ago Lab on all the walkathons--good causes, good exercise and he loved the attention.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:36 PM

2,818 posts, read 4,058,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I love hearing stories like yours. Although, my dogs medical issues aren't as extensive, I completely relate to taking care of the dogs at high cost. I don't remember dog medical care to be so costly. Good thing for pet insurance.

It's actually Nokie Bear that had his left eye removed, but his right eye still works fine. The surgeon did a great job, and sometimes when you look at him it's hard to tell that his left eye is missing.
He's very sensitive, and i have to remind myself to approach him from the right. When he's snoozing, if i pet him anywhere near his head, he jumps. And he hates being hugged around the head/face.
Glad he has the one eye, but totally understand that it's scary not to know what's coming from the side. Lucy was skittish and mopey when we first got her, as she had been neglected for some time, but she's come around to lots and lots of hugs and kisses, even around the face.

Dogs are one of the biggest blessings in our lives. They are so pure of heart and remind us of what really matters in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento