U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 03:02 PM

12 posts, read 10,461 times

Advertisements

We moved to Cali last October and currently renting in Rocklin. We are looking to buy a home but struggling to figure out where. We are early 50s, empty nesters. This is what we are looking for:

3/2 or 3/3, ideally one level
Move in ready- we don’t want any big projects
Decent size backyard, maybe a pool
max $650k
30 minute commute or less to Sierra College
45 minutes or less to SMF
Close (15 mins) to restaurants and shopping
Diverse area, ie not all young families or retirees
We are not fond of new construction developments
Do not want to be in Sacramento proper

Here are our thoughts so far.

Rocklin- nice area but very crowded. Homes seem to be on top of one another with no backyards.
Roseville- some parts are better than others. Seems to have more crime and older, smaller homes.alot of homeless
Folsom- homes seem to be either older and small or new construction, close together with no backyards.
El Dorado Hills - our favorite so far but commute may be too far depending on location.
Granite Bay - seems very pricey and doesn’t really seem like you get much for your money
Loomis-we like the town but homes seem to be either $1m plus or falling dowm. Not much middle ground.
Carmichael- on the list but we have heard area is dicey
Lincoln- we like parts of Lincoln but doesn’t seem like much going on there.

I am sure there are lots of opinions. Looking for people who live in one of these towns to tell me why they love it or why they hate it. Or if there is a town we are missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM

5,093 posts, read 8,230,185 times
All of the neighborhoods you mentioned have a mix of your wants. Homes in older, established neighborhoods tend to have larger yards. Unfortunately, move in read tends to be in the new neighborhoods.
I would recommend taking a drive to the various towns you mentioned, get a map and drive through, or better yet, walk through targeted neighborhoods to get the best feel for the area.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM

3,716 posts, read 8,742,959 times
Go open house hunting in those neighborhoods to see what type house is available I your price range.

I love living in El Dorado Hills because we do have communities with larger lots/more space and my family has found it to be a great community.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:39 PM

738 posts, read 1,727,126 times
Auburn?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:33 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,003,645 times
I personally like Loomis a lot, but prices are pretty steep as you have discovered. If you can live in 1800 sq ft or less, you should be able to find several suitable properties in your price range, but to get the larger yards they will be older.

The "Lincoln" zip covers a HUGE amount of territory, and you can find anything from little bungalows near town to 5 - 10 ac ranchettes. Also look at Newcastle and Penryn. You might even be able to find something in the gated Granite Bay communities if that appeals to you.

The spring rush of listings is just beginning, so as NinaN points out this is a great time to do a little recreational house hunting by checking out the open houses.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM

9 posts, read 3,326 times
Ive lived in Folsom and now I'm preparing to move to Newcastle. Absolutely love it up there. There are wineries and breweries and good food sprinkled throughout the newcastle, auburn, grass valley area. Sure they are still building in lincoln and loomis but it doesn't even compare to the nightmare traffic will be like in Folsom after they are done building out the south side of Hwy 50.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:23 PM

2,083 posts, read 3,334,361 times
I live in Carmichael and I love it here.

However--if you can afford anywhere else, I wouldn't recommend it. We have many problems that I truly hope we will work out. Way too many homeless, more drug houses than we need, and a general "it used to look so much nicer" going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or