U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 09:39 AM

12,236 posts, read 11,142,751 times

Advertisements

Roseville is one of the better cities to live in. Two long-time friends of mine have lived there for over 40 years. Worked and raised their family there. If it helps, Roseville was named #1 in best places to live in 2017, reported in the Sacramento Bee. https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article149874532.html and in 2018, ranked 10th (probably a drop due to affordability). When people want to live there, prices go up which locks out a number of buyers. It's a good place. Better than Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 03:14 AM

518 posts, read 1,104,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
its a bad city if you are looking for diversity. Roseville definitely "sounds about white"
This is kind of an interesting post. The op makes no reference to looking for an area with diversity but the only content of your reply is to make an indirectly negative comment about race. Care to explain that one?

Old 04-06-2019, 06:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,125,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey Moddedintegra56, so Elk Grove is about as diverse as you can get but you seem to have an issue with "white flight", and now you seem to fault Roseville for not having "white flight" or being too white.

Roseville is one of the most middle to upper middle class to down right wealthy communities in the Sacramento Area. And if you are looking for a "white" community it is one of the whitest.

If you are from one of the very white cities in American, Milwaukee, Portland, Pittsburgh, Austin, Phoenix and you are looking for newish, white, upper middle class, good schools in an incorporated city -- Roseville is it. It has a small downtown that is growing and it is connected by Commuter Train to downtown Sacramento, Davis, and the Bay Area. Sierra College is a very good community college. and there is a well regarded private Christian based College.

Roseville's access to Folsom Lake, the American River and the Sierra Foothills and Canyons is an easy one. It's by far closer to the Sierras/Tahoe than any Bay Area town.

ROSEVILLE:
White 80%
Hispanic 16%
Asian-American 3%
African 1%
I don't think Milwaukee is considered a "white" city. And Phoenix has a large hispanic population, so I wouldn't say it's "very white" either. Maybe you're thinking Fargo ND or Appleton WI?

Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 AM

5,093 posts, read 8,223,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemas493 View Post
I've been reading some comments about the city in this forum as I am considering a move there as my job is offering a position in the city. I have heard many people say that the city is getting to overdeveloped and that traffic is getting worse in relation to other cities like Folsom and Rocklin. I have read that the schools are not very good and that there is an increasing homeless population due to the railroad tracks and city mismanagement. Do these problems plague only part of the city or the whole? I have a budget of about $650k and it seems I am able to get more for my money compared to Folsom or Rocklin.

Is Roseville a good place to live for a family with school aged kids? I don't like to commute long distances so I prefer to live as close to my job as possible.
If you job is located in Roseville and you don't like commuting, then I suggest buy/rent in Roseville.
I've always heard that schools are great in Roseville.

Take everything you read in this forum with a grain of salt, and one part of your research. A very small percentage of people actually comment here, vs those who live and enjoy these cities.

I'd recommend finding the local facebook chat group and joining. Although I prefer forums like CD, it seems like many adults/communities are moving over to facebook.

And just for the record, all the communities are growing. Folsom, and points east are in a major growth development mode.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:55 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,178,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
ROSEVILLE:
White 80%
Hispanic 16%
Asian-American 3%
African 1%
How recent are those stats? I see a lot more of the asian persuasion around than that low figure.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,964,517 times
It's not bad per se.

It is just a typical suburb with an old historic core, due to be an old rail town. Everything else seems to be neighborhood tracts and strip malls. Biggest turn off for me is the hard core conservative, vapid, and shallow culture.

It looks/feels exactly the way an old redneck/hick town with new found middle class affluence should.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:56 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,964,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
there is no white flight at roseville because hasnt it always been and still always white? thats why i simply said if osmeone was looking for diversity roseville isnt the place to look. and i think you and all long time sac area folks will agree. thats all.

but EG from my findings had a lot more white population before. i think there is an EG thread here where someone had a map and plotted the whiteflight in the sac area/elk grove included but i could be wrong, i thought thats what i saw.

so i didnt have an issue with white flight in the EG thread, but just concern because just from general observation once the white population starts to leave, the neighborhood tends to shift and usually not for the better. i think EG is perfect the way it is with its diversity but can we say it will be the same in a few years.
It's not so much that Elk Grove has had much white flight. It is just that whites made up a majority when it was a small town. Every race has grown with Elk Grove's growth, it is just that as a percentage of the population whites no longer dominate. As many of the new housing tracts are very diverse.

So you have a very large population of whites in Elk Grove, particularly the older neighborhoods east of the 99 freeway. And the newer stuff that is very diverse, with an Asian plurality.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 PM

28 posts, read 14,022 times
I find Roseville to be a great place. I only visit, but I visit frequently. I would have no qualms moving my family there if that is where my job took me.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 PM

5,093 posts, read 8,223,687 times
Roseville has more shopping and restaurants than Folsom, and it tends to stay open later.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM

759 posts, read 1,719,927 times
Roseville is not at all bad. The complaints are due to the fact that the city has grown exponentially. There are homeless in the other cities which you are considering as well. Rocklin is well known for its great schools- which can be tricky to enroll in, but is very close to Roseville. If you work at the Hewlett Packard, then heading north towards Lincoln wouldn't hurt. Or on the border of Rocklin, you could do Rocklin, Loomis etc. I wouldn't get into a situation where i had to cross the american river, or head east or west on 80 for quite a few exits and then deal with 65 traffic etc. Watch the bottlenecks on the map and get in the vicinity of your work would be my best life choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or