Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 20,246 times

Advertisements

I've been reading some comments about the city in this forum as I am considering a move there as my job is offering a position in the city. I have heard many people say that the city is getting to overdeveloped and that traffic is getting worse in relation to other cities like Folsom and Rocklin. I have read that the schools are not very good and that there is an increasing homeless population due to the railroad tracks and city mismanagement. Do these problems plague only part of the city or the whole? I have a budget of about $650k and it seems I am able to get more for my money compared to Folsom or Rocklin.

Is Roseville a good place to live for a family with school aged kids? I don't like to commute long distances so I prefer to live as close to my job as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 09:08 PM

113 posts, read 159,379 times
Roseville is a great place to raise a family. At your budget, you can kind of go where you want and I personally prefer the commute on 50 and would move to Folsom (business 80 from Roseville is the worst during rush hour). But Roseville good and growing, see West Roseville developments. Really need a car to get anywhere, as opposed to the trail network of Folsom where you can do a lot more on a bike. If your main focus is to get a large SF house, you can definitely get more in Roseville. Just be sure to see if you can handle the commute.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,290 times
I'll try to provide some quick insight. Grew up in the area, currently live in east roseville. I can probably count on my hand the number of times I've seen homeless people walking around in roseville. Try downtown Sacramento if you want to see homeless people. At that kind of budget you won't be near railroad tracks in roseville so that's not going to be an issue. And as far as traffic goes, the only traffic issue you're going to have in the sacramento area is all of the freeways during commute hours. I commute from roseville to downtown sacramento everyday. it's 30-50 minutes depending on whether or not somebody is looking at their phone and rear ends someone. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:12 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
Roseville runs pretty seamlessly into Rocklin, Citrus Heights and Lincoln. Your commute will depend upon where exactly in the city your job location is. Downtown Roseville is a traffic nightmare since the railyards pretty much cut the city in half. Try to arrange your commute so you don't have to go through downtown.

I would also personally avoid any commute that relies on Hwy 65. This so-called freeway is poorly designed and chronically congested, with lots of accidents from the awkward merges to boot. It's now under construction in an attempt to correct some of the issues, which makes traffic even worse (temporarily).

Even with these two restrictions, you should have lots of choices for safe neighborhoods with good schools.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Roseville is not a city. It's just a burb.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:23 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Sorry to contradict you, eureka1, but it is an incorporated city. It's the largest city in Placer County. I get my utility bills from the City of Roseville, for one thing. It has a mayor and so forth. Here's a link to the City of Roseville's website for more information.

https://www.roseville.ca.us/

OP, I think with your budget you would be able to find a home to suit you. I can't speak to the school situation as I don't have kids and don't keep up with that. Roseville sprawls so you'll find different flavors of neighborhoods with much of the newer building being done in West Roseville. Your budget could get you into a gated neighborhood if that is your taste.

I've lived in West Roseville for more than ten years and haven't had any encounters with homeless people. Occasionally I'll see one walking along a major roadway. From what I can tell they tend to congregate in the older part of town near the railroad tracks.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
OK, it's an incorporated burb.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:32 PM

478 posts, read 690,231 times
its a bad city if you are looking for diversity. Roseville definitely "sounds about white"

Old 03-30-2019, 07:51 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
its a bad city if you are looking for diversity. Roseville definitely "sounds about white"
Hey Moddedintegra56, so Elk Grove is about as diverse as you can get but you seem to have an issue with "white flight", and now you seem to fault Roseville for not having "white flight" or being too white.

Roseville is one of the most middle to upper middle class to down right wealthy communities in the Sacramento Area. And if you are looking for a "white" community it is one of the whitest.

If you are from one of the very white cities in American, Milwaukee, Portland, Pittsburgh, Austin, Phoenix and you are looking for newish, white, upper middle class, good schools in an incorporated city -- Roseville is it. It has a small downtown that is growing and it is connected by Commuter Train to downtown Sacramento, Davis, and the Bay Area. Sierra College is a very good community college. and there is a well regarded private Christian based College.

Roseville's access to Folsom Lake, the American River and the Sierra Foothills and Canyons is an easy one. It's by far closer to the Sierras/Tahoe than any Bay Area town.

ROSEVILLE:
White 80%
Hispanic 16%
Asian-American 3%
African 1%

Old 03-30-2019, 09:14 AM

478 posts, read 690,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey Moddedintegra56, so Elk Grove is about as diverse as you can get but you seem to have an issue with "white flight", and now you seem to fault Roseville for not having "white flight" or being too white.

Roseville is one of the most middle to upper middle class to down right wealthy communities in the Sacramento Area. And if you are looking for a "white" community it is one of the whitest.

If you are from one of the very white cities in American, Milwaukee, Portland, Pittsburgh, Austin, Phoenix and you are looking for newish, white, upper middle class, good schools in an incorporated city -- Roseville is it. It has a small downtown that is growing and it is connected by Commuter Train to downtown Sacramento, Davis, and the Bay Area. Sierra College is a very good community college. and there is a well regarded private Christian based College.

Roseville's access to Folsom Lake, the American River and the Sierra Foothills and Canyons is an easy one. It's by far closer to the Sierras/Tahoe than any Bay Area town.

ROSEVILLE:
White 80%
Hispanic 16%
Asian-American 3%
African 1%
there is no white flight at roseville because hasnt it always been and still always white? thats why i simply said if osmeone was looking for diversity roseville isnt the place to look. and i think you and all long time sac area folks will agree. thats all.

but EG from my findings had a lot more white population before. i think there is an EG thread here where someone had a map and plotted the whiteflight in the sac area/elk grove included but i could be wrong, i thought thats what i saw.

so i didnt have an issue with white flight in the EG thread, but just concern because just from general observation once the white population starts to leave, the neighborhood tends to shift and usually not for the better. i think EG is perfect the way it is with its diversity but can we say it will be the same in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento