U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 PM

31 posts, read 13,832 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I have found a job at Sac State and plan to move to Sacramento this summer. My wife and I are looking for a place to rent that is not too expensive as we want to save up for our down payment. Any recommendations? There are simply too many places to look...

We don't have kids so schools are not important, but we do have a cat :P

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 09:38 PM

Also, I wonder how is the public transportation there?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:01 AM

524 posts, read 407,406 times
Live somewhere close by and bike to work! Elmhurst, Tahoe Park, College-Glen are all nice areas that are not too pricey and very convenient to Sac State. More expensive and more upscale - look at Campus Commons, River Park and East Sac.

Welcome to Sacramento.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, John! Might I ask how is the commute from these areas to the business district (downtown?). My wife will also start looking for jobs after we move there.

Biking to work sounds like a great idea. I just wonder whether it would doable in the hot summer days?

Old 03-27-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceandel View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, John! Might I ask how is the commute from these areas to the business district (downtown?). My wife will also start looking for jobs after we move there.

Biking to work sounds like a great idea. I just wonder whether it would doable in the hot summer days?
I'd say it's very comfortable to bike like half the year. The winter months are a bit dark and wet and the summer months can be a bit hot in the afternoon/evening hours but totally bikeable in the mornings. I bike in from College-Glen area to downtown a couple times a week. So that is an option also for your wife if she's comfortable biking about 8 or 9 miles into work. Otherwise it's a ~20 minute car commute each way from those neighborhoods. I've not had much success with the bus system in Sacramento but the light rail is fine. Check out the Gold line there are light rail stops from downtown - midtown - east Sacramento - near Sac State - College/Glen - and then all the way out to Folsom.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:07 PM

I don't think my wife would be able/willing to bike 8 or 9 miles to work - she will take the car if I can bike to work. Living close to the light rail sounds like a very good option - is it generally safe?

Old 03-28-2019, 01:36 PM

Light rail is okay. Your comfort with it will sort of depend on where you are coming from and your tolerance for city public transit. I've not had any problems on it and it's heavily used during commuter hours so that's definitely the safest time to use it. However - just to be real - it has problems with homeless people basically using it for free and you will almost certainly encounter mentally disabled vagrants at the stations and on the trains and they can cause problems.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:37 PM

I see. I am mostly okay with riding with homeless people in public transit, as long as they don't bother me or the others. My wife might be less comfortable though - we've had experiences riding with someone with a strong body odor for more than half a hour - not very pleasant to say the least. But I think that the chances of such encounters might depend on where we get on? Also, is it safe to assume that the light rail is less impacted by car traffic during rush hours?

Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 531 times
Transportation sucks! Move to mid-town, Oak Park or Citrus Heights are my suggestions. Stay away from the Arden-Arcade area - full of meth addicts and homeless, and homeless meth addicts.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Thanks, MrsHicxs! I will definitely take a look at those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or