Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,188 times

Advertisements

We are Bay Area residents planning a move this summer looking for feedback on the Vineyard area of Roseville.

We have family in Granite Bay and have spent a significant amount of time in the area over the years. We have 3 children in middle school (one starts HS in the fall).

My first choice is Rocklin, mostly for the schools and rolling hills, but not sure if we can afford it. Will all depend on how much our house here (San Mateo Peninsula) sells for. It's looking more and more like we are going to be moving to Roseville and we have our eye on a particular house.

I was wondering if I could get feedback about Roseville, specifically the Vineyard area. I've been warned to be careful about Roseville, particularly around the train tracks. This house we are looking at is not necessarily on top of the tracks, but it's semi close to the Sunday Denio's swap meet. I can't tell if this is a decent area or not. The home is about 20 years old.

I am wondering about this neighborhood. Are there a lot of families there or does the population skew a little older? Also, thoughts on Roseville HS or Cooley Middle School?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 07:43 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
The schools are quite good in the Roseville area. Roseville was a "railroad town" before it grew into "San Jose for people who can no longer afford San Jose", and you do get the hobo types hopping on and off the freight trains. However, the schools are not affected by this.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,067 times
could you guys enlighten me about the railroad tracks?
We visited a relative few weeks ago who recently moved due to work, but forget which neighborhood they are staying.
It looked liked Roseville was a nice area, while visiting.....so we were thinking to follow our relative in 3 years once our 5th grader finishes middle school, tia!

Old 02-25-2021, 11:22 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigtot View Post
could you guys enlighten me about the railroad tracks?
We visited a relative few weeks ago who recently moved due to work, but forget which neighborhood they are staying.
It looked liked Roseville was a nice area, while visiting.....so we were thinking to follow our relative in 3 years once our 5th grader finishes middle school, tia!
Roseville has always been an important freight railroad junction. Even as railroads have automated and now surplus freight railroad switching yards get redeveloped into something else, the Roseville yard remains an important freight railroad switching yard, and Union Pacific is a significant employer in the area. Union Pacific took over / merged with Southern Pacific, which once was just about the only employer of a much smaller Roseville in days gone by.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:30 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
Rocklin is hype. Rocklin relies on Roseville for everything like shopping, amenities etc. You also get raped by PGE over in Rocklin. Rocklin planning sucks and they and the people know it as they always miss out or another city swoops in on developments for anything commercial that would help the city. Look into Lincoln on the other side of those "rolling hills" of whitney ranch. Youll get a bit more bang for your buck and still be in the rolling hills.

I posted this in another similar thread so here it is again:
Granite Bay AND Roseville ARE part of Roseville Joint Union School District (High Schools).
However Elementary and Middle Schools in Granite Bay are Eureka Union School District, but I believe some parts of East Roseville also fall in that school district

SW part of Roseville close to antelope, PFE, and around Baseline are part of Center Unified and/or Dry Creek Union, and some areas will still be part of Roseville Joint Union Schools (high schools) This part is very crucial in where you live/address to where you will attend school.

With that said its very difficult to rank the entire city of Roseville because its all over the place. However, if you fall in the Roseville City (elementary and middle) AND Roseville Joint Union (high school) or Eureka Union School District AND Roseville Joint Union (high school) combos, those are the one of the best and realtors and people know it as those areas also have a higher price tag.

People in Rocklin will always be quick to brag about their schools overall compared to Roseville because they are comparing a 60,000 population city where 1 school district houses all schools for the entire city borders. And when you look at it that way, they in general have all good schools because its only serving a small area. Compared to Roseville which is serving a city over twice the size of nearly 150,000. Rocklin has only 2 major high schools not counting the continuation high school. So thats Whitney High and Rocklin High. Both of those schools depending on where you look are getting 8/10 or 9/10.
Meanwhile Roseville Joint union has like 8-9 schools where a majority of them also getting 8-9 out of 10, with Granite Bay High ive seen countless of 10/10 rankings. With the lowest school being Antelope High (not even in roseville CA) but still got 7/10 in some reviews.

If you want the best, try to sneak in to Granite Bay High borders but still living in Roseville borders so you dont pay granite bay premium price. Also living in Roseville means you dont get raped by PGE like Rocklin and GB does.

---------------

You mentioned Vineyard area and that is like outskirts of roseville near or at the border. As I mentioned above, that is the crucial part of roseville where you may not get the BEST schools. The schools are good, but they arent the best, and the price of the home reflects that as a lot of that plays into the pricing whether people realize it or not. That is such a big difference in the "rolling" hills part of rocklin to the Vineyard part of Roseville which is just ok. UNLESS of course you are buying in Doyle Ranch, Morgan Creek. Those are beautiful communities and although not the best combo of school districts its still good, and living in either of those communities are nice, but if those homes were more north or in east roseville close to GB, I can assure you the price tag would be a bit higher. Closer to Denios is meh, I already would say thats old roseville. But Roseville has gotten so expensive (all of placer really) that is considered the more "affordable" parts but I never see anything less than $500K rarely. I'm assuming if its a single family detached home you are looking at an about $500K home? Most of the transplants ive seen from the bay area, purchase new construction or in the newer neighborhoods because essentially they are obtaining what they could never get in the bay--generally newish if not brand new house. So the older parts around the railroad and downtown seem more of the older local residents.

If older homes, I would check East roseville, maybe around south cirby or better Maidu area, Ive seen some older $500K homes. Depending where too they have more varying elevation akin to some parts of rocklin. Also youl be closer to Granite Bay to visit family. Schools may also be better if you fall into Eureka school district for elementary/jr high. Then use your relatives address to bring your kid to the perfect score 10/10 Granite Bay High school part of Roseville Union school district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento