Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,718,225 times

Advertisements

I'd rather feel safer being next to Anti Vaxxers than to those with STDs, since people in California with STDs can knowingly spread them and not be prosecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 PM

36,969 posts, read 40,935,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Not having been vaccinated does not automatically give you a disease. There has to be someone that actually has it first.

And totally besides the fact that there's no vaccination for tuberculosis, it's been a given for quite some time now that the majority of the cases have been ahem....slipping over the southern border....so to speak. So standing around the Capital won't expose you to that either.

And depending on the age of the protesters, it's possible that they weren't vaccinated as children. My generation only got 3 vaccines. My son got 5. It's only the current generation that's getting 30 or 40 vaccines. And yet the older generation doesn't seem to immediately die of the diseases they weren't vaccinated from. Odd that.
Herd immunity protects us most of the time. The ongoing outbreaks in Rockland County and Brooklyn New York are due to refusal to cooperate with public health authorities. Cases are being hidden and there are ongoing deliberate exposures: measles parties.

As others have mentioned there is a TB vaccine.

The majority of TB in the foreign born in the US is from legal immigrants and refugees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I suppose if there are protesters over 80 years old, they might never have been vaccinated as children.

Your estimate of children being given 30 to 40 vaccines today is a little high. I was born in 1969 and I got 8 vaccines:

Polio
Diphtheria
Tetanus
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Pertussis
Smallpox

My children are teens and they have had all of the above minus smallpox, but adding:

Chickenpox (not the most serious disease ever, but no one wants shingles later in life)
Hepatitis A and B
Meningitis (we know a young girl who is permanently disabled from meningitis)
Pneumococcal
Hib ((Haemophilus influenzae type b)

I count 13 different vaccinations, not 30. Some need to be administered more than once to be effective. It was the same when I was little.
You can add a second pneumococcus vaccine, rotavirus, HPV, and annual flu vaccines (over age 6 months) to the list.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedul...cines-schedule

You can get shingles from the chickenpox vaccine virus, but because it is weakened it tends to be less severe with a lower risk of persistent post shingles pain. Most shingles after the vaccine is actually from infection with the wild virus. A mild case might not produce significant symptoms.

County of Rockland, New York :: Measles Information

"As of April 26, 2019, there are 201 confirmed reported cases of measles in Rockland County.

Vaccination rates for confirmed measles cases in Rockland County as of April 24, 2019:

80.5% have had 0 MMRs
5.0% have had 1 MMR
3.0% have had 2 MMRs
11.5% unknown status"

If you consider only those with known vaccine status, 91% are unvaccinated: 80.5 divided by 88.5.

The number is under reported because cases are being hidden from the authorities.

Older people could have gotten new vaccines as they became available. Here is a documentary about the polio vaccine. Both "babies and breadwinners" were vaccinated.

https://archive.org/details/babies_and_breadwinners_1

[vimeo]124783071[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/124783071

Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,420,083 times
The only vaccine I'm aware of that people my age received later was polio. I got my sugar cube in elementary school, sometime in the mid-1960s and then at my first job, 1973 or so, we were all trooped into the cafeteria and everybody got a sugar cube again. No one asked us if we'd gotten it before, so we assumed it was a new version or something.

I'm not honestly sure what vaccines I got as a small child. Maybe smallpox, but most of the ones on the list didn't even have vaccines back then.

Ok, I had to go look it up. The only vaccines I ever got were: diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and smallpox.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:23 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,278,927 times
My husband was only a few years older than me, but missed the polio vaccine by just a year or two, and had a paralyzed leg. I knew kids in my neighborhood and at my school when I was a kid who had contracted polio or who had older siblings who were paralyzed - and that was right here in the SF Bay Area. I was born in the mid 1950's.

The vaccine saved those of use who were younger. So, I'm all for childhood vaccines.

I admit I don't bother with the flu shot anymore. By the time I ever get the flu, which is rare, the vaccine is for an outdated version of the virus anyway.

I remember getting more than one vaccine that was a round stamp thing with a bunch of separate needles, so you ended up with a circle of pricks in one spot, on the inside of your forearm, usually. Not sure what that was for. And I have gotten tetanus shots every 10 years or so.

I did end up getting the mumps on both sides at once, which was hell. I guess there wasn't a vaccine for that yet. I think I was around 8 or 9 years old. I also got chicken pox and that was god-awful. I remember my mom putting my sister and I in a cool bathtub with witch hazel or vinegar in the water to help us with the itching. It was miserable.

Kids used to die from these diseases or end up crippled, etc., or with life-long health problems. People have gotten used to not living with these threats, but they used to be very real and very scary.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:35 AM

The test with the multiple pricks on your forearm is called a "tine test". It is looking for evidence of TB infection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tine_test

Old 04-27-2019, 02:00 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,185,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
As I understand it, if a high enough percentage of the population is immunized then the "herd immunity" principle means that the unvaccinated won't get sick either. That's why the anti-vax movement is so dangerous, if enough people join their ranks then the herd immunity threshold won't be met and we will have Typhoid Mary all over again.

Herd Immunity animation
How do you figure this part? Typhoid Mary was asymptomatic and spread the disease without knowing she was infected, so that's not really a very relevant analogy. This works only if you have someone infected with a virus who shows no symptoms, but spreads the disease. If you just want to be dramatic, you have any number of outbreaks to choose from (though the death counts are far higher): the Black Death, Spanish Flu Pandemic, Great Plague of London, Plague of Athens, AIDS Pandemic... or closer to home, San Francisco Plague (1900-1904).

Personally, I feel mixed on this issue. I remarked on another thread about evolution trying so hard to weed out dead-ends in the gene pool but modern medicine seems to want to interfere. If these types of parents are passing on their genes, this progeny isn't getting vaccinated. However, I also feel that it isn't fair to the kids (or children too young to be vaccinated) because their parents are idiots. What I hope to not see though is the virus adapting.

As people tend to be too stupid to realize it (hence this movement), viruses are living organisms and will adapt to situations, including the inability to adopt hosts before the virus can alter itself to the situation as in smallpox, though they could be driven to extinction. Consider drug-resistant gonorrhea or people who use PrEP irregularly and become infected with HIV that can resist the drug's potency. As with any other living thing on this planet, that virus is going to fight for its survival.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:14 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,114,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
How do you figure this part? Typhoid Mary was asymptomatic and spread the disease without knowing she was infected, so that's not really a very relevant analogy. This works only if you have someone infected with a virus who shows no symptoms, but spreads the disease.
My original post was meant to be a snarky, somewhat over-the-top slap at the anti-vaxxers. There is another disease they are guilty of spreading and that is Anti-Science Populism. No doubt many of them are well-meaning and don't think they are spreading it because they don't understand that the fake science they are consuming isn't real.

Typhoid fever is rare in the U.S. due to chlorination of our water supply. It would be very easy for the anti-science populists to start an anti-chlorine movement, all you need are some fake science studies and websites that falsely tie chlorine to cancer or other diseases. I can hear it now: "Why should the government chlorinate our water? They should deliver only pure water. Chlorination should be a choice done at home."

40 years ago the New Wave band Devo asked "Are we not men? We are Devo." Devo being "the idea that instead of continuing to evolve, mankind has actually begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society." I'd say anti-science populism and anti-intellectualism are also Devo.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:34 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,465,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can add a second pneumococcus vaccine, rotavirus, HPV, and annual flu vaccines (over age 6 months) to the list.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedul...cines-schedule
My daughters have had the HPV vaccine. I forgot about that one. Pneumococcus is only listed once on their immunization cards and there is no mention of rotavirus. Those must have been added after their time. We don't get flu shots.

Definitely, parents have options to get more or fewer vaccinations for their children and some are more important than others in my opinion. Obviously so, as we don't get flu shots, and I know people who chose not to give their children the chicken pox, meningitis and HPV vaccines. But polio, measles, mumps, rubella... I know a woman who has one leg paralyzed from polio. It must have been terrifying when polio was running rampant.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:39 PM

10,011 posts, read 9,438,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I'd rather feel safer being next to Anti Vaxxers than to those with STDs, since people in California with STDs can knowingly spread them and not be prosecuted.
Of course you don’t mind standing next to a person with an STD, kind of difficult getting one just standing next to them.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My daughters have had the HPV vaccine. I forgot about that one. Pneumococcus is only listed once on their immunization cards and there is no mention of rotavirus. Those must have been added after their time. We don't get flu shots.

Definitely, parents have options to get more or fewer vaccinations for their children and some are more important than others in my opinion. Obviously so, as we don't get flu shots, and I know people who chose not to give their children the chicken pox, meningitis and HPV vaccines. But polio, measles, mumps, rubella... I know a woman who has one leg paralyzed from polio. It must have been terrifying when polio was running rampant.
The first rotavirus vaccine came out in 1999, the improved one in 2006. The series must be completed by age 4 to 6 months.

Polio may be terrifying, but someone in your family is much more likely to die from flu than polio, since polio now circulates in only two countries, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento