Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 03:21 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,939,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
You might want to look at county jobs, they seem to pay higher than state. Although when you say private sector pays 3x to 5x more than what you make now that doesn't seem right unless you're only making $30k to maybe $40k a year? Lets say you're making $50k I don't see how you would get $150k to $250k for the same job in the Sacramento area unless you have scarce in-demand skills with little competition. I am in IT also, and the only time I see jobs in that salary range it's usually in the Bay Area. If you are in IT and making less than $45k I think you're getting the shaft. Even less than $60k - shaft.
I agree about County jobs, also municipal utilities like SMUD and EBMUD they usually pay well and participate in CalPERS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 03:56 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,548,323 times
Thanks I will check out SMUD and county tech jobs.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:22 PM

341 posts, read 290,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
If you work for a high tech bay area HQ firm and live in Sacramento as a sales engineer, making 200k is not unreasonable.
Are you a sales engineer? If so, then good for you.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:22 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,939,939 times
Quote:
This is a good website. Under region click more in order to search Sacramento and other areas. Sometimes the categories are a little screwy so you might need to search by job title and not check the categories. https://www.calopps.org/job-search

Old 07-07-2019, 12:13 PM

I applied for these and hope to get a response.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:57 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,263,289 times
Do you have kids and family? The reason I ask is that benefit package in terms of health and dental benefits, especially in retirement tends to be better with the State than the local governments.- so don't assume that the benefits are the same, often they aren't. As for working for the state a lot depends on what your job classification is and how strong your union is. There are a certain areas like say corrections where the state pays way more than any comparable position and others where it is under market. That may very well be the case for you skill set. If so just move to the private sector.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,116,418 times
Quote:
City and county jobs in California have low job security due to shaky finances. As soon as the next recession hits, layoffs are all but certain, and any recent hires are the first to get the boot. SMUD's finances are much better and is far more recession-proof than any local government agency.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 PM

No kids or wife just me myself and I. Hmm well state lays off as well- my buddy who retired from state was laid over a few times over 20 years due to budget issues so that job security is a myth as well. SMUD would be great place to work if I can land an interview and job offer there.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,980,510 times
Quote:
No kids or wife just me myself and I. Hmm well state lays off as well- my buddy who retired from state was laid over a few times over 20 years due to budget issues so that job security is a myth as well. SMUD would be great place to work if I can land an interview and job offer there.
Yup, but it is last hired first fired when lay offs do happen. And it is less frequent than the windfalls of the private sector.

That being said, your best bet is to get buddy buddy with someone in the agency you are trying to work for. That is the easiest way to get a government job.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:09 AM

4,025 posts, read 3,263,289 times
Quote:
What is keeping you in Sac? It sounds like you would prefer to work in the private sector. In IT, even during recessions it is usually not tough to find work. It sounds like family commiments aren't keeping you here, so I am curious what is? My point is that there are other places like Seattle, the Bay Area, Austin, the research triangle, that likely have thicker employment markets than Sacramento in your field, you are also in a field where salary increases keep up with higher rents/housing costs and the dating markets in these places may be thicker for you too. If I was you I am not sure if I would be trying to decide between SMUD and the State. I think there might be better more interesting work elsewhere with better dating options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento