Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 PM

20 posts, read 53,495 times

Advertisements

Yes, i do not want an eviction on my report. Plus, we will probably move about 4 hours away where it is much cheaper so when the court date comes around I don't even know if I can show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissie711 View Post
A friend of mine told me to gather all my receipts of the work I put into the house that she failed to do and send it with a letter stating she broken the lease so I am vacating and expect my security deposit back in full. Of course, written much better than I have here. Is that true you can do that?

I would think twice about doing this. Your friend is giving you bad advice!

Don't play the victim here. You have a situation where you can't afford the rent, any longer. Why play the tit for tat card? You'll end up creating hard feelings and possibly a court battle, imo.

The language barrier didn't seem to exist when you signed the lease so if there is now one there, find someone who can interpret for you to explain the situation. Chances are, the landlord won't want to create more expense for herself by taking it to court.

Be courteous, be calm and simply talk to her, as I first suggested. You get more flies with honey than vinegar. Tell her that you like the place but you don't have the means to stay, any longer. She'll be able to rent the place quickly, if it's a good place. Rentals are in high demand now, due to many people losing their homes.

Don't make things worse by kicking sand in her face by stating she didn't hold up her end of the bargain. Accusing a landlord does nothing but cause bad feelings and she might want to make your life miserable, as if it could get any worse. Again, just my opinion. You'll do what you feel is best but I still say that taking the high road on this is better than fighting. Times used to be where people actually talked to one another. The letter thing is cowardly, imo. Just face the music.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 PM

BTW, in the future, NEVER use "support" payments as part of your income when renting/buying a house. Unless it's 100% guaranteed, you are setting yourself up for problems.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,637 times
i was working out payment with my landlord the he served me a three day,but is hiding behind his daughter who is fronting as a property manager all the sudden,claims that she is his "agent" all the sudden and property manager..... If i leave within the three days do i owe him any money? Or is teh quit in pay and quit mean you the money you owe goes away?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyx1337 View Post
i was working out payment with my landlord the he served me a three day,but is hiding behind his daughter who is fronting as a property manager all the sudden,claims that she is his "agent" all the sudden and property manager..... If i leave within the three days do i owe him any money? Or is teh quit in pay and quit mean you the money you owe goes away?

Here's a link that will explain the whole thing. It's the law regarding this type of situation. http://www.housingrights.org/renters...edaynotice.pdf

Good luck to you.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,637 times
im struggling with this here,i can be out in three days,but does it benefit me,should i attempt to pay him,i think hes a bastard and have been wanting to move for a long time now. But im confused,if i go do i still owe? Or is it assumed if you stay you either have paying or asking to get an unlawful detainer,technically dont they have to give me 30 days. It says im required to pay rent in ful or surrender possesion or the premise,annnnd i cant pay it in full sooo....? and nor do i want to be there...

Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyx1337 View Post
im struggling with this here,i can be out in three days,but does it benefit me,should i attempt to pay him,i think hes a bastard and have been wanting to move for a long time now. But im confused,if i go do i still owe? Or is it assumed if you stay you either have paying or asking to get an unlawful detainer,technically dont they have to give me 30 days. It says im required to pay rent in ful or surrender possesion or the premise,annnnd i cant pay it in full sooo....? and nor do i want to be there...

Did you bother to read the link I posted regarding this type of situation? If you had, you would know the technicalities involved in this sort of matter. If you feel you need guidance in this matter, I suggest you ask your parents because it's beginning to sound like you aren't old enough to make an adult decision, based on legal information provided. Being confused is no excuse. Seek legal advice, if needed. Next time, learn the (contract) law as it applies to you and you won't be confused. Aside from that, it doesn't sound like you're all that thrilled about staying.

I'm certainly not going to tell you what you should do. You have to make your own decision. I simply provided a link to tell you about that law.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
A young Art student moves in to my Moms' home and 7 days later she has a heart attach and passes away.
This person decides he doesn't want to pay rent or his utilities.
I tell him i will work with him since he is having a difficult time and so i do.
3 months pass and he keeps stringing me on.
Then i find out he has been getting financial aid all this time.
I ask him to leave, forget about past due rent, just go. Then he blocks me from Mothers home.
This is my place, he says ( nutty )

He has now been served a 3 day pay or quit.

What kind of person would take advantage of someones Mother dying?
I am glad to hear that none of you here are like this, i only wrote this to let others see the landlords side of things.
Personally, if i did that where i rent, i would be kicked out instantly, he is lucky i was soo
patient.
This is just to show that some landlords are nice.

Bad Karma for this dude.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
Thank you,
yes there are some bad apples, thank you for your nice comment.
Berkeley, Calif has some very tough renting laws for Landlords, the rent board seems more geared towards renters, or maybe that's just how i see it. The fact that this guy could block me from my moms house just blew my mind.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whess View Post
Thank you,
yes there are some bad apples, thank you for your nice comment.
Berkeley, Calif has some very tough renting laws for Landlords, the rent board seems more geared towards renters, or maybe that's just how i see it. The fact that this guy could block me from my moms house just blew my mind.
You're welcome. Pretty ballsy of the renter. And to take advantage of a situation where you are dealing with the death of your mom. That's just plain cruel.

I know you'll be able to get the guy out. It's just a PITA when a landlord has to get the court involved. All the best to you. Please come back and update when you have a conclusion to the story. Many of us enjoy learning the outcome of a situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento