Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 12:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times

Advertisements

My next door neighbor has been great when they moved in two years ago. Now they have a roommate/relative living there with dog that barks a lot, and it's driving me crazy. I like dogs, but not their barking that interferes with my sleep and peace.

This guy knows the dog barks and would yell at her, "Shut up. Stop barking." from time to time. He is not the type I would want to talk to about his dog's barking. My solution, I think, is to get a barking dog and put it in my backyard so he knows how annoying someone else's dog's barking is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:54 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
The dog is barking because it’s lonely being left outside and is bored. Quiet hours for most places are between 10pm-6am. Research yours and then complain if outside those hours to the police or animal control.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My next door neighbor has been great when they moved in two years ago. Now they have a roommate/relative living there with dog that barks a lot, and it's driving me crazy. I like dogs, but not their barking that interferes with my sleep and peace.

This guy knows the dog barks and would yell at her, "Shut up. Stop barking." from time to time. He is not the type I would want to talk to about his dog's barking. My solution, I think, is to get a barking dog and put it in my backyard so he knows how annoying someone else's dog's barking is.
That's a crummy reason to get a dog, why not call animal control and see if they will cite the owner of the dog. If you are going to do that you will probably need evidence like audio recordings of the dog barking at night.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's a crummy reason to get a dog, why not call animal control and see if they will cite the owner of the dog. If you are going to do that you will probably need evidence like audio recordings of the dog barking at night.
When dealing with an inconsiderate dog owner who most likely won't listen to reasons, there are few options. There are disturbed people who actually enjoy inflicting pain on others with their dog's barking. The way to deal with these people is to make them taste their own medicine.

I miss living in Houston where the police handle noise complaints. Had to call them at 2:00AM because next door neighbor's two dogs barked all night. They showed up at the neighbor ten minutes after I called. Two days later they got rid of the dogs.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:14 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
I would talk to your neighbor. I think buying a barking dog to annoy the neighbor is a poor reason to get a dog. It might not fix the problem and you still have to walk the dog, clean up its messes and feed it.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I would talk to your neighbor. I think buying a barking dog to annoy the neighbor is a poor reason to get a dog. It might not fix the problem and you still have to walk the dog, clean up its messes and feed it.
I probably won't get a dog because I am too lazy to take care of a dog, but talking to the owner is another story.

This person is a trailer trash type who doesn't have a job. He sleeps during the day and hangs out in the back yard with his dog when the sun comes down until 12 at night. He smokes cigarettes and pot and I second hand smoke his stuff when I open my bedroom window.

What is really annoying is, for two years, this residence has been very quiet until this guy shows up. It's just him and his dog making the noise.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-04-2019 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
If he is home ask him to bring the dog inside with him.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 PM

OK, just talked to him when the dog was barking at 10:15PM. Introduced myself and told him I felt weird asking him for a favor when just met for the first time. I asked him to keep his dog quiet late at night. He seemed responsive. Hopefully this is the end of this.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:31 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Glad it worked out.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:23 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
OK, just talked to him when the dog was barking at 10:15PM. Introduced myself and told him I felt weird asking him for a favor when just met for the first time. I asked him to keep his dog quiet late at night. He seemed responsive. Hopefully this is the end of this.
That is always the best thing to try first. Glad you decided to go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento