U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM

5,239 posts, read 5,558,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
in overpriced California when Idaho, Montana, Utah or Arizona afford more for less. I like southern Oregon a lot because no sales tax and I buy a lot of music gear and no use tax if you have a plane either. But real estate is as pricey and expensive there as California now.
Like you said, Idaho is too Cold, Montana even Colder, Utah too Dry and Cold, Arizona even drier, and way way too Hot.

California real estate is a good investment. Hard to beat it. Sacramento Area prices still by far cheaper than the Coast, and cheaper than some hotbed cities like Portland, Denver, and Austin.

For those of us who bought just after the 2008 great recession before prices started hitting the roof and of course those who bought 20 years ago or more, real estate was way way worth it. Can't find those returns in Idaho, Montano, Utah, nor Arizona at least not yet, probably not in our lifetime.

Sacramento alway corrects partially because we don't have a large share of the huge incomes you get on the Coast.

I do agree, get a very high paying telecommute job, but live/buy in a much cheaper place. My husbands Silicon Valley company pays Silicon Valley incomes and a lot of the employees live in cheaper real estate places like Arizona, Utah, and Sacramento because they can work from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 07:09 PM

921 posts, read 917,773 times
True well if I get a job with Amazon or another tech firm that would let me pay off a nice place in Sacramento in few years and then invest in rentals. But need a pool living here as it gets wicked hot 6 months out of the year and solar to keep bills from going sky high from cooling and heat.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
True well if I get a job with Amazon or another tech firm that would let me pay off a nice place in Sacramento in few years and then invest in rentals. But need a pool living
Yes, I agree for those 10 days out 365 days when it gets hot you'll need a pool, surprised you don't have one by now. Why not invest with someone, a relative, business partner, etc. Property prices are dropping. That open house I posted about was awesome, price dropped $20K.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:40 PM

More like 100 out of those 365 days you want a pool in Sacramento dude. Temps over 80 to me means pool time. I get hot easy and like to be cold most days.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
More like 100 out of those 365 days you want a pool in Sacramento dude. Temps over 80 to me means pool time. I get hot easy and like to be cold most days.
Oh, yeah, you will definitely enjoy your pool in Sacramento and get way way more use out of it than the Bay Area.

Prices are dropping, get in now. Sacramento real estate was hit hard in the last great recession, but rebounded nicely and the recovery was long. And prices stayed really low for at least 3 years longer than the Bay and LA. The Bay and LA recovered quickly but prices shot-up very very quickly. The window of opportunity didn't last long in the Bay; in Sacramento that window of opportunity lasted 4 times longer.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:02 PM

Agree which is why I am looking now at buying a home. I have pre-approval and down payment and a good realtor (I hope!) plus passed job probation at state so good to go. I do plan to take a promotion at state to next IT classification level if that works out but the benefit of state employment is right of return and better overall job security than the constant layoffs and outsourcing of corporations.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:16 PM

923 posts, read 341,031 times
Quote:
Totally agree most jobs pay way under 100k in Sacramento area and even with two incomes not enough to support current real estate prices. So WTF is driving these insane prices up?
hmmm, let me think, why would real estate skyrocket the way it has, especially in a dull predictable cow town like Sacramento? Maybe because Newsome wants to maximize his (and I do mean HIS) jackpot when he disassembles Prop 13 from complacent unassuming naive idealist voters who don't really seem to be paying attention. But that's just a wild guess.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:20 PM

35,185 posts, read 16,246,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
hmmm, let me think, why would real estate skyrocket the way it has, especially in a dull predictable cow town like Sacramento? Maybe because Newsome wants to maximize his (and I do mean HIS) jackpot when he disassembles Prop 13 from complacent unassuming naive idealist voters who don't really seem to be paying attention. But that's just a wild guess.
The problem with your theory is that real estate prices are not skyrocketing in Sacramento.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:29 PM

Hopefully this POS Newsome gets recalled

Old 10-19-2019, 10:34 PM

35,185 posts, read 16,246,693 times
I don't see a problem with housing prices in Sacramento, rents have gotten crazy high but housing prices have been stable for a while. Here's a few that might meet your criteria Mix

3/2 Greenhaven $355,000 https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19394336

3/2 Fair Oaks $374,000 https://www.redfin.com/CA/Fair-Oaks/.../home/19177574

Both of those are move in ready decent houses. Look at Redfin or any other real estate site and I'm pretty sure that if you are really serious about finding a home you will https://www.redfin.com/city/16409/CA...753,no-outline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or