U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 11:26 PM

938 posts, read 924,155 times

Advertisements

So now based on dealing with realtor buying agents it seems like I am more effective using free MLS tools like Redfin and so forth to get listings and comps and I can hire my own lender, inspector, lawyer and escrow/title agent. So would I save money without a buyer agent? The only value I see is they drive you around to show you homes. I can do that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 AM

1,685 posts, read 1,472,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
So now based on dealing with realtor buying agents it seems like I am more effective using free MLS tools like Redfin and so forth to get listings and comps and I can hire my own lender, inspector, lawyer and escrow/title agent. So would I save money without a buyer agent? The only value I see is they drive you around to show you homes. I can do that myself.

First how confrontational are you? If the situation requires it, could you lowball the buyer? If the home inspection comes back and they find mold or dry rot, do you know how to deal with that? What if the buyer doesn't want to fix it, would you know who to contact to give you a reliable estimate to fix it, in order to correctly lower the price enough to cover the cost of repairs? Are you confrontational enough to lowball the seller on the repairs? How emotionally attached do you get to a home you are interested in? Some people get too emotionally invested to walk away from a house so they overbid.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Pretty good at negotiating and finding who to contact in terms of repairs and negotiations. I don't get emotionally attached.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:40 AM

9,336 posts, read 12,095,548 times
How many homes have you actually bought?

Old 10-25-2019, 12:28 PM

7,433 posts, read 9,308,317 times
You probably won’t be able to get in to see most homes unless you have a buyer’s agent. No matter how much work you do on your own. For sale by owner, redfin, those home resale companies— that’s all you'll get to see.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:30 PM

Well I did find one place that lets you buy on your own called Open Listings that lets you buy without an agent.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:16 PM

24 posts, read 9,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
The buyer's agent is free to you (seller pays for it). So why not use one since they can show you all the homes in the MLS, help you negotiate the contract, help with inspections and all the other things that need monitoring. It would be a different story if you were paying for one, but since its free why not? Unless you are buying a FSBO that if you know what you're doing you can do it yourself and probably get a reduced price by 3% since the seller is not paying for an agent.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:05 PM

9,336 posts, read 12,095,548 times
I notice you didn't answer my question about how many homes you have actually bought. If you're a newbie, two heads are alway better than one. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:07 PM

20,949 posts, read 23,398,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
The buyer's agent is free to you (seller pays for it). So why not use one since they can show you all the homes in the MLS, help you negotiate the contract, help with inspections and all the other things that need monitoring. It would be a different story if you were paying for one, but since its free why not? Unless you are buying a FSBO that if you know what you're doing you can do it yourself and probably get a reduced price by 3% since the seller is not paying for an agent.
Why would the seller have to reduce the price 3%?

Old 11-04-2019, 01:51 PM

61 posts, read 193,889 times
You won't save money buying without a buyers agent, and mistakes made on the transaction may very well cost you money. When a house is listed for sale with an agent, the seller signs an agreement for a commission with that agent (typically 5-6%). The sellers agent then splits that commission with the buyers agent when they get into contract. The selling owner does not get 3% off of their contract if there is no buyers agent, so they aren't going to discount the house for you. The sellers agent knows that they will likely be doing all the work if there is no buyers agent, so are also unlikely to give you any sort of rebate (and cannot legally split their commission with a non-agent). You as an individual do not have access to MLS lock boxes, the real estate transaction forms, docusign accounts, etc. You can go to open houses, but in order to get into all the other properties you are going to be working with the sellers agent, and they are going to first represent the seller in the transaction.

I get why people think they can FSBO. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want a buyers agent working for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento