U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 750 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving out from Colorado to a warmer place . After some research , Sacramento seems to be a good option. Nice weather and close to ski areas too, since we love to ski. Husband can work from home for his current job, so at least he won’t have to look for job right away.
But he would love to move on to a new job eventually , so my question is : are there good IT jobs in Sacramento?
Which is the best school district there for kids?
I’m a teacher but will have to apply for CA teaching license , is it worth the effort? Teacheres are not well paid in CO. Right now I’m not teaching full time but I do tutor high school science students. I’m open to guest teaching too. I really wish I could find some answers from people who actually took a big step to leave a city you love but still moved to another new city for better life and weather ! Will appreciate all your inputs.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 03:04 PM

470 posts, read 634,941 times
So you want to move from California-east to California? Okie dokie.

I'll admit, I'm a lifelong Sacramento resident and am unfavorably biased against Sacramento. Many Sacramentans live here because of well paying jobs, us included. Government jobs abound and the competition between hospitals for employees has made salaries here quite high. But there's a running joke about living here: Sacramento is a great place to leave. There's "nothing" to do here, except go to Tahoe, San Francisco, or Napa. Obviously that's not quite true but it's not far off. You will not enjoy Sacramento's downtown like you do Denver's and you'll find the urban sprawl and ridiculous traffic similar to Denver. At least Denver has a good light rail system, ours is woefully inadequate.

You better like hot, smoggy, smokey summer weather too. OTOH, our winters are very mild.

It's an hour and a half to two hours to Tahoe for skiing and hiking, same time and distance to SF for lots of tourism and homeless. Both offer more recreation and things to see/ do than Sacto does.

That said, there are nice, albeit expensive, places I would move to in the Sac area if I were to move here. Folsom would be the first logical choice because of their excellent schools and because Intel is there. The homes though are pricey. Think Highlands Ranch +$100k.

Next on my list would be Rocklin, Roseville, and Lincoln for the schools. A commute to Intel would be about 30-45 minutes. The other option would be a government job doing IT, but that requires travel downtown, unless he can work remotely, and a 30-45 minute commute each way.

The closer you get to downtown Sac the worse the schools get. There's a reason we have such a huge suburban area. From Elk Grove in the south to Lincoln in the north, the schools, homes, and neighborhoods are just better.

Now I'm sure another Sacramentan will come along and tell you how great the area is and how wrong I am, which is fine, we're all entitled to our opinions. Personally, we're looking forward to the day when we can move out of this failing state, but the pay is just so darn good here. That said if we didn't already own our home the cost of buying a home would be a big deterrent.

Btw, when we refer to Sacramento, we're usually referring to the general Sacramento area. There's the city of Sacramento and then there's the county of Sacramento which encompasses places like Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights, Orangevale, etc. Roseville, Lincoln and Rocklin are in the Sacramento area, however, they are actually in Placer County, as is the western shore of Lake Tahoe. Placer and Sacramento, as well as Eldorado County are all very big areas. Folsom is in far north eastern Sacramento county, but it has more in common with El Dorado county and the well-to-do inhabitants of El Dorado Hills which are literally a hop, skip and jump away. Old town Folsom is a charming place I would consider living.

Sacramento does have a lot to offer for new transplants, you'll probably find the taxes, gas, and politics very similar to Denver. For a lifelong resident like myself, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

PS. Both Lincoln and Rocklin are in the process of building new high schools with completion expected in the next year to two years. They will be looking for a lot of teachers at those two locations.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:11 PM

5,239 posts, read 5,556,589 times
Hey, Colorado,

I’ve been in Sacramento a long time and my husband was born and raised here, never left, and he is world and well traveled.

Sacramento is a great place with lots and lots to do. No, you don’t need to go anywhere near the Bay Area for “things to do”, nor Tahoe, whoever said that lives in the dark ages.

Sacramento has world class art museums, great restaurants, plenty of street fairs, festivals, farmers markets, music venues, major league sports, live theatre, tons of political rallies.

One of the things he loves the most about Sacramento is our weather. It’s hard to beat any place in America for overall mild non-inclement weather. A Sacramento winter is by far warmer and easier to deal with than a Denver winter. It almost never even dips to freezing at night, and it’s not too uncommon for mid 60’s in the dead of winter.

On a normal year, we will get a good dose of rain, still much less than places like Seattle or Portland. Spring and Fall are perfect. Summer is very doable, dry heat, always a cool morning and overnight. You will need a/c, but note that pretty much any major city in American needs a/c to be comfortable because of their humidity and heat index. Sacramento, is one of just a handful of major cities that have very cool night and morning temperatures during the summer.

Sorry, I can't tell you much about teacher pay. But the best school districts are in Folsom and Roseville. One of the top rated public universities is in Davis (UC Davis). My husband works for a Silicon Valley tech company (works mostly from home in Sacramento).

Oh, snow skiing, depending on where you live is as close 30-45 minutes away, as far as 2 hrs. If you just want to see the snow and have kids play in at least a foot of snow you are as little as 15 minutes away to 1 hour.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-03-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 07:26 PM

5,239 posts, read 5,556,589 times
Oh, and I forgot to mention there is lots fresh water recreation in (Sacramento River), very very near (American River), very near (Folsom Lake).

And, unlike Denver, Sacramento is within earshot of the Ocean-Coast (Beach, Bay, Coastal Mountains).

It is an easy Coastal Day trip. Best to make it a full day: hike, bike, surf, picnic, coastal fair/festival.

The easiest and closest Coastal Day trips are Berkeley, SF, Pacifica, Sausalito, Marin Redwoods, Sonoma Redwoods, Bodega Bay, Santa Cruz

Still doable as a Coastal Day trip is Monterey/Carmel, but easier if done as a sleepover-weekend trip. And Yosemite!

But honestly, there is so much to do in Sacramento we find ourselves limiting our trips to the Coast or the Sierras.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:13 PM

2,816 posts, read 4,052,164 times
I think Sacramento is an outstanding choice for someone wanting California's best access to Sierra skiing and a warm climate. Here it is November, and it's still consistently in the upper 70s during the day. In the winter, you can go from palm trees to snow and back in the same day.

Sadly, also not informed about IT or teaching opportunities, but it's a wonderful city for your stated needs, and there's nothing wrong with choosing a city first and the job to go with it.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 PM

615 posts, read 570,976 times
Since you mentioned having a teaching background, I would recommend you looking into some of the suburban school districts for employment opportunities. Sacramento City Unified is currently undergoing severe fiscal challenges, which have led to labor disruptions and threats of a State take over. There are a number of other school districts in the Sacramento region, such as Elk Grove, San Juan, Folsom-Cordova, and Natomas.

I don't know too much about the local IT industry other than Intel in Folsom, HP in Roseville and Apple in Elk Grove. With the high COL in the Bay Area, we may see more IT firms relocate to the Sacramento region. I know that the City of Sacramento would love to see an IT campus take root in the Downtown Railyards development. Employment centers tend to be polycentric in this area, even with the State government offices, such as the Franchise Tax Board. Of course, Downtown Sacramento is a major employment center, as well as the Med Center district along Stockton Boulevard, Rancho Cordova, Folsom, Roseville, and Sacramento State University.

With regard to diversions and recreation, Sacramento's location does provide convenient access to the Bay Area, Wine County (Napa, Sonoma, Amador, Lodi), Reno and Tahoe. However, the region itself does have lots to offer with a number of hidden and understated attractions and treasures.

Last edited by sacreole; 11-06-2019 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 08:29 PM

76 posts, read 24,001 times
Hi! Placer County (sac area native) now in the Bay Area. Lots of my Bay Area friends are moving to Placer County. The most popular choice seems to be Rocklin. I’m a little out of touch regarding best places now days, but I always thought Loomis or Auburn would be where I’d choose if moving back...cute downtowns too. Also prefer those areas due to the more rural and less strip mall vibe that has developed in some other areas over the years.

Orangevale isn’t mentioned often, but from what I remember, it’s an area with big lots and possibly worth checking out? It’s sandwiched between Roseville, Citrus Heights, Folsom.

As far as best paying school districts, I hear Rocklin is the best in the area. I can ask around for other suggestions. I’d guess Roseville, Lincoln, Folsom districts would pay well too. I’m not wild about Folsom though as a place to live. I just like being in the side closer to hwy 80.

Granite bay is pretty, I grew up there. I know it’s expensive, but depending on what’s in your budget, the areas along auburn Folsom heading up to Auburn are really nice. Also, there may still be affordable houses in Lakewood or Lakeland (two older neighborhoods headed up Barton rd toward the granite bay entrance of the lake). I hear eureka union (the school district in granite bay) doesn’t pay well, but the schools are great. Loomis schools are fantastic. My friends who have kids in Loomis schools are extremely happy, and the teaching environment sounds like a good one. People talk very respectfully of the teachers there (not that they don’t in other districts) but it’s a smaller town feel, and the locals are friendly. I don’t think the pay scale is as good as other districts though.

So, best pay as a teacher? From what I hear: Rocklin. Definitely check into Roseville and Lincoln too. If you lived in that area, you wouldn’t want to commute to Folsom.

Best school districts for kids? I don’t think you can go wrong anywhere in That area. I only hear good things the Placer County Schools. Placer County office of Ed is in Auburn and worth a visit or contact to find out about credential requirements, but I believe we have teacher reprocity with CO.

Best place to live depends on what you like. Again, I don’t think you can go wrong. There are a TON of kids activities in the area. Very family oriented. If you want more rural and ranch feel .. Loomis, Auburn, Penryn, parts of Lincoln. I love Auburn’s downtown and it has a cool vibe. Kind of earthy.

Rocklin, Roseville, Folsom are really developed. I get lost when I go there now, but my friends who have moved there like it. Most friends I grew up with stayed in granite bay or chose Loomis, Roseville, Folsom.

A total aside ... the area along American river drive in fair oaks (or is that Carmichael?) is very nice. Good schools .. if you wanted to be closer to Sac.

Best of luck! I moved away. Lived in lots of other places, Currently live in a beautiful location in the Bay Area, but would definitely consider moving back if I had kids. Very nice place to grow up. Only good memories there. And the weather .. yes, the summers are hot, but everyone has air conditioning, lots of community pools, the lake, rivers, and by 5 Or 6 pm, the air and temp doesn’t get any better. The delta breezes kick in, and it’s amazing, really. Winters are a snap. I thought a winter coat was my leather moto jacket until I moved to places that had real winters.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:05 AM

240 posts, read 344,988 times
We moved to the area with 2 small children because of the schools. Rocklin is the best of all locations IMHO. The schools are great, the people are accepting and there are tons of choices when it comes to buying a home. Yes it’s expensive when compared to most of the rest of the country, including Colorado but we moved from SoCal so it seems super reasonable. There are loads of Orange County and Bay Area transplants here.

The weather is fantastic, again the only better weather you are going to find in the US is in Southern California. Winters are extremely mild, a little rainy but with zero snow. July and August are very hot but manageable. The Sacramento area is very very sunny which I love, among major metros only Phoenix and Las Vegas have more sun.

The city itself is going through a major regeneration. An MLS team is coming, the Kings have a brand new arena, the convention center is being seriously upgraded, there are new buildings and apartments cropping up everywhere.

There are tons of things to do in the Sacramento area and you are very close to a smorgasbord of leisure options.

Don’t listen to the “Failing State” crowd. Yes, there are a few “State of Jefferson” crazies around here but hopefully they’ll all soon follow the advice they constantly regurgitate from Fox News and move to featureless dreary Texas where they can own a massive McMansion and spend all day watching cable news as there is literally nothing else to do :-)

Old 01-11-2020, 05:57 PM

1,047 posts, read 387,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
We moved to the area with 2 small children because of the schools. Rocklin is the best of all locations IMHO. The schools are great, the people are accepting and there are tons of choices when it comes to buying a home. Yes it’s expensive when compared to most of the rest of the country, including Colorado but we moved from SoCal so it seems super reasonable. There are loads of Orange County and Bay Area transplants here.

The weather is fantastic, again the only better weather you are going to find in the US is in Southern California. Winters are extremely mild, a little rainy but with zero snow. July and August are very hot but manageable. The Sacramento area is very very sunny which I love, among major metros only Phoenix and Las Vegas have more sun.

The city itself is going through a major regeneration. An MLS team is coming, the Kings have a brand new arena, the convention center is being seriously upgraded, there are new buildings and apartments cropping up everywhere.

There are tons of things to do in the Sacramento area and you are very close to a smorgasbord of leisure options.

Don’t listen to the “Failing State” crowd. Yes, there are a few “State of Jefferson” crazies around here but hopefully they’ll all soon follow the advice they constantly regurgitate from Fox News and move to featureless dreary Texas where they can own a massive McMansion and spend all day watching cable news as there is literally nothing else to do :-)
Let's hope they do & leave room for those of us who want to live in California, like my fiance and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or