U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 12:57 PM

35,293 posts, read 16,324,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Unfortunately buying anything in Land Park, Pocket, Curtis Park or midtown is super expensive now.
Midtown and Curtis Park are but not the other areas you mentioned:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19079497

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19013766

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19417197
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 PM

1,291 posts, read 746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
For me, the turn off about the new areas in Rancho Cordova is the "naturally occurring asbestos". That whole area, including 80% Folsom and El Darado Hills has this issue. And it may be another 10-20 years before the ramifications of building in those hills is is known. But I do know that new development kicks that soil up and puts it in the air.
It's important that hazards, both natural and man made, are readily available so buyers can make informed decisions. The naturally occuring asbestos affects the easternmost areas of Sac County. Doesn't include Rancho. But, in all honesty doesnt seem to affect people's health.

http://www.airquality.org/Stationary...cels_redux.pdf

Also there's the Aerojet contamination plume but I'm surprised how few people understand the extent of the plume.It includes Gold River and part of Carmichael. However, again it hasn't been a health problem.

https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/centr...update_fig.pdf

Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 PM

1,291 posts, read 746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Gold River is more a neighborhood. But the reason I think it is highly rated is 2 fold.

First it has it's own highly performing K-8 school , as well as being zoned to Rio Americano high. So the schools are solid.

Second is it's location. It's right on the American River which is lovely. It is adjacent to the 50 freeway and light rail stops of Sunrise and Hazel Ave. Which makes a downtown commute doable. It also close to job centers in Rancho Cordova.

Though I imagine much of your shopping, dining, nightlife and such would have to be done in Fair Oaks or Folsom.
The Discovery K-8 school is a solid performing school but so are other schools nearby.The Elk Grove School District has schools on par or better performing ones.

Discovery ranked 76.5% better than other elementary schools in Ca.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...60/school.aspx

Robert J McGarvey in Anatolia which is one of two elementary schools serving that part of Rancho ranked 85.6% better than other elementary schools in CA.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...66/school.aspx

High schools:

Bella Vista is a solid school:

Ranked higher than 86.9% of high schools

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...56/school.aspx

Pleasant Grove High part of the Elk Grove School District (this school draws students from Rancho south of Douglas and Rancho Murrieta):

Ranked higher than 94.9% of high schools

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...67/school.aspx

Folsom High

Ranked higher than 96.3% of high schools in California

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...70/school.aspx

Just my opinion but if your going to pay Folsom prices to live in Gold River, will be going to Folsom for shopping and dining, yet the schools aren't ranked higher than the ones in south Rancho I'd just live in Folsom.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:16 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,467,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
The Discovery K-8 school is a solid performing school but so are other schools nearby.The Elk Grove School District has schools on par or better performing ones.

Discovery ranked 76.5% better than other elementary schools in Ca.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...60/school.aspx

Robert J McGarvey in Anatolia which is one of two elementary schools serving that part of Rancho ranked 85.6% better than other elementary schools in CA.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...66/school.aspx

High schools:

Bella Vista is a solid school:

Ranked higher than 86.9% of high schools

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...56/school.aspx

Pleasant Grove High part of the Elk Grove School District (this school draws students from Rancho south of Douglas and Rancho Murrieta):

Ranked higher than 94.9% of high schools

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...67/school.aspx

Folsom High

Ranked higher than 96.3% of high schools in California

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...70/school.aspx

Just my opinion but if your going to pay Folsom prices to live in Gold River, will be going to Folsom for shopping and dining, yet the schools aren't ranked higher than the ones in south Rancho I'd just live in Folsom.
Schools are a bit better in Folsom than Gold River but the difference isn't that large, but Gold River is also a bit closer to employers along the highway 50 corridor, downtown and if you had a spouse working in Fair Oaks or Citrus Heights, closer to that too. As that area between Grant Line Road, El Dorado Hills, Aerojet, Mather Airbase and Elk Grove fills in with new housing. I think the commute along 50 is going to get much worse. Because I think a lot of these new homeowners are likely going to be working along the Highway 50 corridor. Because office parks tend to follow the freeways. Also there are areas like the Sac Inn Drive In or just warehouses along 50, that I think could be bulldozed fairly cheaply to build new office parks.

In general I am fairly bullish on Rancho Cordova. I was at a party and one of the guests had lived in Sacramento during the 1970's and then moved away from the area, but was back visiting the area. Over long time periods areas can change. This guest talked about how during the 1970's Roseville was known for hobos and biker bars near the rail yards. Folsom was a prison guard town, in downtown Sac, during this time there were hookers near Southside Park on T Street. While the area with the great schools during this era were places like Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks and Arden Arcade and Citrus Heights was extra-glamourous because it had the brand new mall with the Farrells next to Sears.

New growth changes brings new life to an area and it can change how an area is perceived. Today I doubt anyone is thinking about hobos and biker bars in Roseville. Folsom is a lot nicer from a lot of new residents. But as neighborhoods age they can lose some luster. Citrus Heights is probably less desirable to have as an address today vs 40 years ago. Downtown seems nicer as well. Rancho Cordova is schedule for a lot of growth. Just as new growth helped fix up the older parts of Roseville, I think the newer growth will help transform the older parts of Rancho Cordova. Again I think a lot of the older warehouses will likely become office parks. I am not saying that the parts of Folsom, Rocklin and Roseville built in the 80's and 90's will be bad, but I think they might start looking more like Fair Oaks or maybe Arden Park. The luster in these neighborhoods might come off a little more as they age. The schools may no longer be as strong as they once were as the neighborhoods age. I suspect the more desirable region in this area may be some place like Anatolia, as that newer area expands dramatically over the next 10 to 20 years.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:20 PM

937 posts, read 922,251 times
@shelato- interesting observations. What are your thoughts about the College Glenn area of Sacramento as a place to buy and live long term? I like having light rail close by for easy commute to downtown.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:47 AM

501 posts, read 394,081 times
Quote:
@shelato- interesting observations. What are your thoughts about the College Glenn area of Sacramento as a place to buy and live long term? I like having light rail close by for easy commute to downtown.
I live here. I own my home and plan on staying for the long term. I've met a lot of good people in the neighborhood that have bought in the last 7 years and plan on staying long term. There's also a large portion of the neighborhood that is older retirees that bought here in the '60s and '70s when the neighborhood was first established. Many people that were raised in this neighborhood are returning to raise their families here.

It's not without it's issues of homeless and petty crime. But in my opinion you are hard pressed to beat the location and quality of the homes and character of the neighborhood for the price point anywhere in California.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:20 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,467,984 times
The strategy for turning around downtown was to put as many mixed use developments downtown as possible. With the idea that what made a neighborhood downtown feel unsafe at night was having no one on the street walking around, but if there were people who lived in housing nearby, they would support the stores and restaurants on that block that would keep the street 'activated'. For the most part that worked. So I am not arguing that it was a bad strategy. But there are a bunch of state office building downtown that are getting old. I am thinking about the water resources building, the twin towers at 7th and P that were built in the 50's to 70's where the maintenance costs on these buildings are pretty high, because they are more than 50 years old. These buildings aren't historically significant in the way the State Capitol is. If I was running the department of general services I might be thinking about selling them and replacing them with something new.

In the past, the state would buy up a site, bulldoze the existing structures and build something new. The problem, the state will find increasingly downtown is that its more difficult to bulldoze building where there are some people living in them. Because those people complain about getting their home bulldozed for new state office building. So when it comes time to replace older state office buildings I could see them relocating out of downtown. The department of general services seems ok with doing that as long as the alternate locations are well served by transit, so I think increasingly the state office buildings will be built along light rail stations in more suburban areas.

If you look already the franchise tax board, the state contractors license board are on the highway 50 corridor, near light rail. I think there is going to be a lot more of that. Along that corridor, there are warehouses and older grocery store/drug store neighborhood retail adjacent to light rail, that could be easily bulldozed into future state office buildings.

As for College Glen, I think its in the thick of that. Its near light rail. Its going to close to these jobs.

Most people want to keep there commute to under a half hour. As traffic gets worse along highway 50, I think there are going to be fewer people commuting from Folsom and El Dorado Hills to downtown, because the commute will take too long. Instead I think these people will find work on the highway 50 corridor. So this area is going to get really congested. Now not all spots along that corridor are equal. Most people are either married or in some sort of relationship. Who ever your dating is also trying to keep their commute under a half hour. For who ever is working north side of the American River, there are only a few spots to cross the river, Hazel, Sunrise, Watt, Howe etc because its really expensive to build a bridge and because nimbys fight building new ones.

So I like College Glen for the same reason that I really like Gold River. You actually have pretty good options for getting across the American River. You are between Watt and Howe and you are not that far from J Street. Additionally on the South side of the American River, you actually have your own bike trail with plans to extend that to Gristmill, with plans for another bike bridge across the River near Gristmill, which I think will strengthen the Southern side of the American River as a recreation corridor. The more people using it the safer it feels.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:11 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,971,117 times
I think the semi-affluent established areas will stay that way. Curtis Park, Land Park, and East Sac have withstood the test of time. As have the communities on the north bluffs of the American River. The same is going to happen for the communities on Folsom Lake.

The thing is, Roseville, Elk Grove, El Dorado Hills, and Vineyard have so much open space that they can simply keep building until they become the next Fremont. I think they have the middle/upper middle class market cornered pretty well.

West Sac, Natomas, Rancho and Lincoln also have tons of open space near by. I think they will continue to serve your work force types -the lower middle class masses.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:46 PM

937 posts, read 922,251 times
I like the College Glenn and Gold River area due to central location and proximity to light rail stations and less cost than downtown, east sac, midtown and curtis park.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:03 PM

35,293 posts, read 16,324,081 times
Quote:
I like the College Glenn and Gold River area due to central location and proximity to light rail stations and less cost than downtown, east sac, midtown and curtis park.
No way in the world I would buy in Gold River, at least not in the area controlled by the HOA, dues are $350-$400 a month and the rules of which there are hundreds are strictly enforced by HOA Nazis. College Glen is ok but I see no advantage to living there over Greenhaven or South Land Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or