U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 09:12 AM

79 posts, read 83,693 times

Advertisements

Did anyone who uses SMUD have their electricity shut off during the fires?

Does anyone believe that cities utilizing SMUD have a value advantage due to not being under the PG&E umbrella?

Can anyone comment on Roseville? I believe they are also outside of the PG&E machine.

Thanks-
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 09:15 AM

35,359 posts, read 16,341,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post

Does anyone believe that cities utilizing SMUD have a value advantage due to not being under the PG&E umbrella?

Can anyone comment on Roseville? I believe they are also outside of the PG&E machine.

Thanks-
I have SMUD and there haven't been any shutoffs but like most SMUD users I'm in a suburban environment, not in the middle of a forest. When I looked at houses in the area I specified that I wanted to buy a home serviced by SMUD, the rates are about 30% less than PG&E.

Roseville has it's own utility company https://www.roseville.ca.us/cms/one.aspx?pageId=8663021

Old 11-13-2019, 12:35 PM

470 posts, read 637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post

Thanks-
I don't live in the prescribed shut off areas, I am a stones throw from an area that was shut off, and obviously, nothing bad happened to their house or ours. I use SMUD predominantly in the warmer months for A/C and PG&E in the colder months for heat, the bills even out regardless of month. Of course, I can't wait to see how much PG&E raises rates to pay for their screw ups. If I had the option I would stick with SMUD for all heating and cooling. Furthermore, it's because PG&E can't take care of its own infrastructure that I personally think it should be broken up, the board fired, the CEO removed, and PG&E be re- created as a public utility, a la SMUD.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:12 PM

615 posts, read 573,725 times
As a SMUD customer, I did not experience any electricity shut offs. I have PG&E for natural gas and my service was uninterrupted.

I recall during rolling blackouts in the early 2000s, municipal utilities such as SMUD and LADWP fared very well. At the time, I worked for a county government agency in the San Joaquin Valley that was in PG&E's service area. I remember being sent home during some of the rolling blackout events. The County's administration decided to invest in a backup generator for its offices and facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento