U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 11:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,010,500 times

Advertisements

Good for you folks standing up to these unfair taxes. After watching what happened with the last gas tax funds being channeled to other uses, I can’t blame you guys at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 01:00 PM

470 posts, read 639,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I think local control of control of taxing makes that less of an issue. At the federal and state level politicians have more sources of funds and more ability to raid funding for one project to pay for another, but at the local level, politicians are more accountable to voters. So as between raising state or local taxes to pay for new roads, I would rather have the decision be made at the local level.

I think the measure is going to pass inside the City of Sacramento (its left wing enough to support more taxes) and inside the unincorporated parts of the County (the roads are really sh*tty here), but I have no idea why someone who lives in Folsom, Elk Grove, Citrus Heights or Rancho Cordova is going to want to vote for this. So if I had to guess I think this measure will be defeated.
I'm in Citrus Heights and there's no way in hell I'm voting for this. The city council allocated the majority of their Surplus budget to that new city hall of few years ago, effectively wiping out any funds to take care of much-needed Road improvements. So now Citrus Heights and all of the cities in Sacramento County area are going to get on board and try and squeeze more money out of us when, particularly Citrus Heights, if they have been more frugal with their spending they wouldn't be trying to put another tax on us.

They could have made a city hall and police department in one building, instead they neglected the police department, which is Antiquated by modern standards, and used it all for that one building.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM

35,577 posts, read 16,430,048 times
Quote:
So my hunch is the only way streets in this area are going to get repaved any time soon is going to be from either some bond fund promising to work down this deferred road repair maintenance backlog or to raise taxes like this initiative. So I think this initiative is going to pass in the City of Sacramento and the unincorporated parts of the County. But I have my doubts about it passing in Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights, Folsom or Elk Grove.
There are a number of road projects in the County being funded by SB1, here's the list for 2019-2020
https://sacdot.saccounty.net/Documen...cts%20List.pdf

Old 12-03-2019, 05:30 PM

7,490 posts, read 2,784,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
You mean like the $5B Newsom has ready removed from the gas tax fund to help "combat climate change? "
His order didn't remove any money from the gas tax fund. It said he wants to see a higher priority on transportation projects that help climate change. Transit, bike lanes, carpool lanes, etc.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,486,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are a number of road projects in the County being funded by SB1, here's the list for 2019-2020
https://sacdot.saccounty.net/Documen...cts%20List.pdf
The issue in the unincorporated parts of the county are less the major thoroughfares and more the small residential streets. I live on a street that was built in 1972. A tar coating was applied sometime in the early to mid 1990's, but that tar coating has now worn off. But the street is badly cracked. When it rains multiple new potholes form. The county is somewhat responsive to patching these pot holes up when you call them. But the street is close to 50 years old and it probably should have been repaved 10 or 15 years ago. But this is the type of maintenance that gets put off during the periodic recessions that hit from time to time. From what I can tell there is no plan nor money right now to pay repaving these small residential streets that I live on.

Now if you look at these newer incorporated cities, like Citrus Heights, Rancho Cordova, Folsom and Elk Grove, the residential streets even in the older neighborhoods like mine have either been paved or there seems to be a plan to do so. So I don't see the same rational for voters in this area to back this tax.

But in the neighborhood I live in, the people who in the past would have voted against another tax increase (the Republicans) have just moved out of the neighborhood and the new comers who replaced them tend to be more left of center who I think will back the tax increase. While there are Republicans in the region, the neighborhood I live in Willhaggen Del Dayo is now quite purple.

I am curious when this election will occur, but if it occurs during the Democratic primaries well who do they think will show up to this election?

Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
I'm in Citrus Heights and there's no way in hell I'm voting for this. The city council allocated the majority of their Surplus budget to that new city hall of few years ago, effectively wiping out any funds to take care of much-needed Road improvements. So now Citrus Heights and all of the cities in Sacramento County area are going to get on board and try and squeeze more money out of us when, particularly Citrus Heights, if they have been more frugal with their spending they wouldn't be trying to put another tax on us.

They could have made a city hall and police department in one building, instead they neglected the police department, which is Antiquated by modern standards, and used it all for that one building.
I think bad spending decisions is part of the problem, but I think the closure of Sears really hurt sales tax receipts at the Sunrise Mall and that was a big reason for incorporating the City of Citrus Heights in the first place. When you walk through the Sunrise Mall that portion between Sears and JCPenny is mostly vacant with the exception of the dollar movie theater and Sees Candy. The Birdcage Mall also seems to be having problems filling vacancies. The Toys R Us has stayed vacant. The Sports Authority space next Target also hasn't been filled.

I also think the shopping radius of the Sunrise Mall has shrunk as newer shopping areas came to the region. I think before the Broadstone complex in Folsom was built and the El Dorado Town Center was built in El Dorado Hills, a lot of these people were probably coming to the Sunrise Mall to buy stuff. But when this other retail came in, I think they ate a lot of the business that formerly went to the Sunrise Mall. I think this growth of newer better malls also explains the death of both the Country Club and Country Club Center Malls. When the Galleria came to the area, people out in Rocklin and Roseville no longer needed to come to Arden Arcade to shop.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
His order didn't remove any money from the gas tax fund. It said he wants to see a higher priority on transportation projects that help climate change. Transit, bike lanes, carpool lanes, etc.
But how much was squandered on high speed rail to nowhere? I mean this is a major white elephant project.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I think bad spending decisions is part of the problem, but I think the closure of Sears really hurt sales tax receipts at the Sunrise Mall and that was a big reason for incorporating the City of Citrus Heights in the first place. When you walk through the Sunrise Mall that portion between Sears and JCPenny is mostly vacant with the exception of the dollar movie theater and Sees Candy. The Birdcage Mall also seems to be having problems filling vacancies. The Toys R Us has stayed vacant. The Sports Authority space next Target also hasn't been filled.

I also think the shopping radius of the Sunrise Mall has shrunk as newer shopping areas came to the region. I think before the Broadstone complex in Folsom was built and the El Dorado Town Center was built in El Dorado Hills, a lot of these people were probably coming to the Sunrise Mall to buy stuff. But when this other retail came in, I think they ate a lot of the business that formerly went to the Sunrise Mall. I think this growth of newer better malls also explains the death of both the Country Club and Country Club Center Malls. When the Galleria came to the area, people out in Rocklin and Roseville no longer needed to come to Arden Arcade to shop.
You're exactly right. Bad spending decisions and lack of foresight seem to be par for the course with Citrus Heights. All they had to do was look at the downfall of Country Club Mall to see what was coming for Sunrise Mall. They've had more than a decade to figure something out and make some long term plans regarding the Sunrise Mall area. Yet, here we are with half of Sunrise Mall vacant, the big stores long closed up, Sports Authority sitting empty, and Elephant Bar gone too.

When Palladio was going up and the Galleria area was expanding, I wonder what the Citrus Heights City Council was thinking? Probably uuhhhh,duhhhh, we'll just raise taxes some more to cover our butts. Great idea!

Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Sorry, you're wrong. The money came right out of the SB1 fund via an executive order to "reduce greenhouse gas emissions". While there are provisions within the law that allow money to be used for rail projects, Newsom is neglecting the mllions of Californians who were promised a fix to our ever-increasing congestion, poorly maintained pavement and sky-high fuel prices. Yet the first thing he does is use an executive order to get his hands on our gas tax funds and siphon them off to fund his pet-projects.

Additionally, a 200 page proposal accompanied the withdrawal of the funds that laid out how Newsom's executive order was going to alter the new law... the new law that's barely been in effect. And now! Sacramento county and its cities want to put more taxes in place to to fund the things we were promised would get funded by SB1. I call BS. No way am I voting for another transportation tax.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM

3,817 posts, read 2,981,733 times
I don't think most people could predict that Amazon would become so monolithic and ubiquitous by 2019. And the damage to shopping centers is much more profound, than the damage caused by Walmart/Costco etc.

Citrus Heights is going to have to do some serious soul searching to figure out what to do with Sunrise in the next 10 years. Or it's going to go the way of the Florin Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento