U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 12:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 1,461,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I don't think most people could predict that Amazon would become so monolithic and ubiquitous by 2019. And the damage to shopping centers is much more profound, than the damage caused by Walmart/Costco etc.

Citrus Heights is going to have to do some serious soul searching to figure out what to do with Sunrise in the next 10 years. Or it's going to go the way of the Florin Mall.
But they have done this once before. I mean the Birdcage Mall was pretty close to being a dead mall and they brought that back. I could see something similar happening to the Sunrise Mall. I doubt it will be anchored by department stores. But if you look at what happened to Howe about Arden and Century Theater when the Domes were bulldozed and rebuilt, I think a similar thing could happen in the Sunrise Mall. You have a lot of retail in that corridor already and retail likes to cluster. I think one of the problems for Country Club and Country Club Center was that they were too far away from the Arden Fair Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 01:14 PM

470 posts, read 635,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
But they have done this once before. I mean the Birdcage Mall was pretty close to being a dead mall and they brought that back. I could see something similar happening to the Sunrise Mall. I doubt it will be anchored by department stores. But if you look at what happened to Howe about Arden and Century Theater when the Domes were bulldozed and rebuilt, I think a similar thing could happen in the Sunrise Mall. You have a lot of retail in that corridor already and retail likes to cluster. I think one of the problems for Country Club and Country Club Center was that they were too far away from the Arden Fair Mall.
It is interesting to see that Arden Fair mall has managed to survive while so many other places and shopping areas, not just malls, have gone under. I think Arden Fair saved themselves when they redid the front row of businesses that face Arden way. Interestingly though, the old Arden Mall theater has closed since Century rebuilt it's theater but Dos Coyotes has managed to stay in business for over 20 years right next to that theater and even though Max's Opera House is long gone that whole food court is still thriving, as is Seasons 52 and Johnny Rockets.

I honestly don't know what the best answer for Sunrise Mall would be. Birdcage did save that side of Sunrise but is a similar structure going to work on the mall side? Obviously business needs to anchor that site so the city can get more tax dollars. But with commerce being cornered by Amazon the great debate will be what businesses, to what extent, and what else?

Old 12-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
It is interesting to see that Arden Fair mall has managed to survive while so many other places and shopping areas, not just malls, have gone under. I think Arden Fair saved themselves when they redid the front row of businesses that face Arden way. Interestingly though, the old Arden Mall theater has closed since Century rebuilt it's theater but Dos Coyotes has managed to stay in business for over 20 years right next to that theater and even though Max's Opera House is long gone that whole food court is still thriving, as is Seasons 52 and Johnny Rockets.

I honestly don't know what the best answer for Sunrise Mall would be. Birdcage did save that side of Sunrise but is a similar structure going to work on the mall side? Obviously business needs to anchor that site so the city can get more tax dollars. But with commerce being cornered by Amazon the great debate will be what businesses, to what extent, and what else?
I think the Arden Fair Mall survives because its trading radius is huge. I mean if you live in West Sac or Davis or even Elk Grove and you are looking for a new suit to go to your daughters wedding. The nearest Nordstrom is in Arden Fair. I think because of Amazon people are shopping at department stores less often, but there are certain things that you are going to want to try on before you buy and so while I don't think the area needs as many traditional malls as it had in the past. I don't think they are going away completely either. But the other thing that has helped is that neither the Sears nor the JCPenny in that mall has closed yet and I think one or both will close in the not too distant future.

But the newer malls in the area are being built without traditional department store anchors. If you look at the El Dorado Town Center, that is essentially an outdoor mall, without any department stores as anchors. Broadstone in Folsom is again pretty much a mall and the anchors if you could call them that are Whole Foods and Nordstrom Rack and a movie theater. I think something like that is going to likely replace what is currently at Sunrise, but they may have to wait until JCP collapses. I also think that could happen at Arden Fair if and when they loose Sears and or JCPenny.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,522,760 times
I'll just say a few things.

1. For the people who don't want their taxes increase to fix the roads and infrastructure, when you vote down this tax, what exactly do you expect to happen, for the roads and infrastructure to magically appear anyway? Or you just don't care about improved road and transportation?

2. Sunrise Mall and a lot of Citrus Heights/Carmichael can't be saved and will need to be bulldozed. Tweaking around the edges will just be throwing money away. Even then, as the region urbanizes, more people move in, and traffic becomes worse, far out flungs with no transportation/freeway access like Citrus Heights/Carmichael will suffer because of (1).

3. You guys are severely underestimating how big of a advantage Arden Mall and Howe About Arden shopping center location is. It is literally right off the capital city freeway dab smack in the middle of the entire metro. Has light rail access near by (its a shame it doesnt stop right at the mall though) and these days is cheap uber ride away.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:38 PM

I never use light rail and as it presently stands I wouldn't want to live near it because it seems to attract the homeless crowd and the drug dealers outside of rush hour or at least that seems to be the case for the light rail stations near Rancho Cordova.

I tend to assume that more transportation funds will be blown on stuff like street cars, or other white elephant projects. But if I thought the money was going for repaving streets or building additional new freeways and widening them, I could back that. But I do want to see a freeway between Elk Grove and El Dorado Hills and between Lincoln/Rocklin out toward the airport. I think not building the freeways Caltrans was planning for this area in the 50's and 60's is why we ended up with streets that are slow moving freeways like Watt Ave, Sunrise and Greenback.

The problem with the Arden Fair Mall is the problem with Sunrise, it was built around department stores and I have serious doubts that either or both JCPenney and Sears will be around 5 years from now or even next year. Who shops there? I think on the low end, they have been killed by Target and Walmart, in the mid range Costco and the high end Nordstrom's and Macv's. If you look at Birdcage and Forin both of those Malls were partially torn down with new stores in their place and I could see that happening at Sunrise and Arden Fair after JCP collapses and the last Sears in the area dies.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:39 PM

35,218 posts, read 16,275,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I'll just say a few things.

1. For the people who don't want their taxes increase to fix the roads and infrastructure, when you vote down this tax, what exactly do you expect to happen, for the roads and infrastructure to magically appear anyway? Or you just don't care about improved road and transportation?

2. Sunrise Mall and a lot of Citrus Heights/Carmichael can't be saved and will need to be bulldozed. Tweaking around the edges will just be throwing money away. Even then, as the region urbanizes, more people move in, and traffic becomes worse, far out flungs with no transportation/freeway access like Citrus Heights/Carmichael will suffer because of (1).

3. You guys are severely underestimating how big of a advantage Arden Mall and Howe About Arden shopping center location is. It is literally right off the capital city freeway dab smack in the middle of the entire metro. Has light rail access near by (its a shame it doesnt stop right at the mall though) and these days is cheap uber ride away.
Sunrise Mall was recently bought by an investment group that has a reputation for buying failing malls then sitting back and collecting rent while doing as little maintenance as possible.

Quote:
Last month, the town of Brookhaven, New York, issued more than a dozen citations to Namdar for failing to maintain the local mall it bought in 2014. The fire marshal cited the mall for neglect, including rubble, litter and potholes in the parking lot, according to the Long Island Advance.

In 2017, two lawsuits accused Namdar of failing to maintain a mall in Jacksonville, Fla., “resulting in leaky roofs, broken electrical systems, and a roach infestation,” reported the Philadelphia Inquirer.

“Landlord is an absentee landlord with a reputation as a ‘slumlord,’” reads one of the suits. “Landlord’s continuous breaches and material failures have rendered the premises unrentable.”

And last year, a company that recently bought a mall from Namdar in Bradenton, Fla., was slapped with a foreclosure lawsuit, with lenders alleging the new owner still owes more than $21.7 million.

In filings, the mall’s owners argue “Namdar blatantly defrauded and grossly mislead” the buyer and lenders by providing misinformation about mall tenants, income, expenses, capitalization and occupancy rates, according to the Bradenton Herald. https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article224579730.html

Old 12-05-2019, 08:49 PM

35,218 posts, read 16,275,793 times
Quote:
Sorry, you're wrong. The money came right out of the SB1 fund via an executive order to "reduce greenhouse gas emissions". While there are provisions within the law that allow money to be used for rail projects, Newsom is neglecting the mllions of Californians who were promised a fix to our ever-increasing congestion, poorly maintained pavement and sky-high fuel prices. Yet the first thing he does is use an executive order to get his hands on our gas tax funds and siphon them off to fund his pet-projects.

Additionally, a 200 page proposal accompanied the withdrawal of the funds that laid out how Newsom's executive order was going to alter the new law... the new law that's barely been in effect. And now! Sacramento county and its cities want to put more taxes in place to to fund the things we were promised would get funded by SB1. I call BS. No way am I voting for another transportation tax.
The EO does not call for using SB1 money. It states that 5 billion will be leveraged from state transportation spending. SB1 funds are not comingled with state transportation funds.
https://cal.streetsblog.org/wp-conte...EO-N-19-19.pdf

Old 12-06-2019, 04:37 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,966,978 times
I am pro transportation funding.

Sac's transit was done all wrong. The street car should be strictly on the grid, for workers and residents on the grid. Light rail has no business on the grid. Half the light rail stops are on the grid, it's insane. And because it is not on a separated grade it is still subject to road congestion. This is why everyone bikes on the grid. For day to day life, it is more efficient than taking light rail. The heaviest rider ship is folks riding from Downtown to Folsom, the gold line.

Street car should address the grid issues and the light rail should be for commuters. There should be 4 lines.
1) Downtown to Airport
2) Downtown to Folsom
3) Downtown to Citrus Heights
4) Downtown to Consumes River College

This is what Portland does. The street car focuses more on getting folks around the core, and the light rail is for folks outside the central city.

As far as freeways, forget it. The time for freeway expansion was dead on arrival during Jerry Brown's first two terms, and there will never be funding to expand it to a proper beltway. All we can do now is mitigate that mistake, by investing in commuter rail.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:23 AM

18,482 posts, read 16,981,563 times
Quote:
At least we'll get to vote on this one.
Thankfully.

"A new inspector general at Caltrans has found millions of dollars in misspending on transportation improvement projects in the last year as the state has seen its coffers swell from increases to the state’s gas taxes and vehicle fees."

Caltrans investigations find waste and wrongdoing in state transportation programs:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ation-spending

Old 12-07-2019, 03:43 PM

5,093 posts, read 8,227,118 times
The Palladio in Folsom has very few real stores. It’s mostly an entertainment venue with lots of restaurants. While some people do shop there for niche items, it seems that many folsomites go to the Galleria.

I can’t remember the last time I went to the Arden or Sunrise Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento