U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2019, 05:05 PM
 
470 posts, read 638,229 times
Reputation: 1028

Advertisements

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you can comfortably navigate Sacramento's aggressive drivers, Los Angeles' fast and aggressive drivers, and San Francisco's hills and narrow streets, you can drive anywhere.


https://www.kcra.com/article/most-ag...ivers/30200586

Sacramentans are the fourth most aggressive drivers in the country during the holidays, according to a recent GasBuddy study.

GasBuddy took a look at drivers during the Thanksgiving holiday week (Nov. 27 - Dec. 1), noting aggressive driving events like rapid acceleration, hard braking and speeding.

GasBuddy took a look at drivers during the Thanksgiving holiday week (Nov. 27 - Dec. 1), noting aggressive driving events like rapid acceleration, hard braking and speeding.

The No. 1 culprit in Sacramento for aggressive driving is hard braking, followed by speeding and rapid acceleration. The study pegged Sacramento drivers as nearly 15 percent more aggressive than average U.S. drivers during the holidays.

CITIES WITH THE MOST AGGRESSIVE HOLIDAY DRIVERS

AtlantaNashvilleBirmingham, Ala.Sacramento, Calif.San FranciscoLos AngelesSan DiegoOrlando. Fla.Raleigh, N.C.Hartford, Conn.

The study was created using data from GasBuddy’s optional, opt-in Drives Feature in its app that offers drivers an assessment of their driving habits during trips in an effort to improve fuel efficiency, mapping out when and where a poor driving habit occurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 PM
 
Location: NNV
2,476 posts, read 1,550,693 times
Reputation: 4790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you can comfortably navigate Sacramento's aggressive drivers, Los Angeles' fast and aggressive drivers, and San Francisco's hills and narrow streets, you can drive anywhere.


https://www.kcra.com/article/most-ag...ivers/30200586

Sacramentans are the fourth most aggressive drivers in the country during the holidays, according to a recent GasBuddy study.

GasBuddy took a look at drivers during the Thanksgiving holiday week (Nov. 27 - Dec. 1), noting aggressive driving events like rapid acceleration, hard braking and speeding.

GasBuddy took a look at drivers during the Thanksgiving holiday week (Nov. 27 - Dec. 1), noting aggressive driving events like rapid acceleration, hard braking and speeding.

The No. 1 culprit in Sacramento for aggressive driving is hard braking, followed by speeding and rapid acceleration. The study pegged Sacramento drivers as nearly 15 percent more aggressive than average U.S. drivers during the holidays.

CITIES WITH THE MOST AGGRESSIVE HOLIDAY DRIVERS

AtlantaNashvilleBirmingham, Ala.Sacramento, Calif.San FranciscoLos AngelesSan DiegoOrlando. Fla.Raleigh, N.C.Hartford, Conn.

The study was created using data from GasBuddy’s optional, opt-in Drives Feature in its app that offers drivers an assessment of their driving habits during trips in an effort to improve fuel efficiency, mapping out when and where a poor driving habit occurred.
I'm not surprised. I was driving from Merced towards Sacramento a few months ago on highway 99 and there was a line of 10+ cars driving 70 mph with 1-2 car lengths between each car. If one stopped quickly it would have been a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2019, 05:31 PM
 
470 posts, read 638,229 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm not surprised. I was driving from Merced towards Sacramento a few months ago on highway 99 and there was a line of 10+ cars driving 70 mph with 1-2 car lengths between each car. If one stopped quickly it would have been a mess.
It's so incredibly dangerous. My favorite thing is when I'm doing 80+ on I-5 or Hwy 99 and I'm leaving a safe distance between the car in front of me and the guy behind me who's usually tail gating me decides to pass on the right, then cut over into that tight space to, yep, you guessed it, tail gate the next guy in line who himself probably has someone in front of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2019, 05:39 PM
 
Location: NNV
2,476 posts, read 1,550,693 times
Reputation: 4790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
It's so incredibly dangerous. My favorite thing is when I'm doing 80+ on I-5 or Hwy 99 and I'm leaving a safe distance between the car in front of me and the guy behind me who's usually tail gating me decides to pass on the right, then cut over into that tight space to, yep, you guessed it, tail gate the next guy in line who himself probably has someone in front of him.
Ever drive I-15 from Barstow to Las Vegas? Friday afternoon/night or Saturday morning. THAT is the worst example of cutting in. Way worse than I-5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2019, 05:49 PM
 
470 posts, read 638,229 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Ever drive I-15 from Barstow to Las Vegas? Friday afternoon/night or Saturday morning. THAT is the worst example of cutting in. Way worse than I-5.
I've driven that route, though not at that time. I've gone over the Grapevine at rush hour on a Friday. That was ridiculous. We just flew into LA and took Uber every where. I'm done driving long distances when I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2019, 09:59 AM
 
31 posts, read 13,345 times
Reputation: 27
Sacramento drivers are aggressive and rude. But I think drivers in some Asian countries are worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2019, 10:21 AM
 
7,443 posts, read 2,767,781 times
Reputation: 9779
My beef with Sacramento drivers is... the ones that are SLOW and INEFFICIENT and who are not elderly:
  • The timid driver who uses excessive following distance, leaving large gaps, which increases congestion on the freeway and make backups worse.
  • Pokey drivers in the left turn lane at traffic signals. It's rude to people behind them who end up missing the green and have to sit through another cycle of light changes. Leisurely executing a left turn with a gap of 3 or 4 car lengths ahead of you is inconsiderate and backs up traffic.
  • Pokey drivers who merge on the freeway at 40 mph or less. This causes a string of brake lights in the slow lane, which can spread and trigger a bottleneck.
  • Timid drivers at 4-way stop signs who take forever to finally get the courage up to go through the intersection. Pay attention, when it's your turn be ready to go. Don't waste other people's time.
  • Clueless drivers who slow down to 5 mph before entering a continuous left turn lane in the middle of a city block. The courteous way to do it is to enter the lane at 35 or 40 mph, brake in the left turn lane, then execute your left.
  • Slow drivers who slowly pull out a parking lot in front of you, forcing you to hit the brakes to avoid rear-ending him or her.
Courteous driving is moving smoothly with the pack and not holding other people up behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 AM
 
470 posts, read 638,229 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
My beef with Sacramento drivers is... the ones that are SLOW and INEFFICIENT and who are not elderly:
  • The timid driver who uses excessive following distance, leaving large gaps, which increases congestion on the freeway and make backups worse.
  • Pokey drivers in the left turn lane at traffic signals. It's rude to people behind them who end up missing the green and have to sit through another cycle of light changes. Leisurely executing a left turn with a gap of 3 or 4 car lengths ahead of you is inconsiderate and backs up traffic.
  • Pokey drivers who merge on the freeway at 40 mph or less. This causes a string of brake lights in the slow lane, which can spread and trigger a bottleneck.
  • Timid drivers at 4-way stop signs who take forever to finally get the courage up to go through the intersection. Pay attention, when it's your turn be ready to go. Don't waste other people's time.
  • Clueless drivers who slow down to 5 mph before entering a continuous left turn lane in the middle of a city block. The courteous way to do it is to enter the lane at 35 or 40 mph, brake in the left turn lane, then execute your left.
  • Slow drivers who slowly pull out a parking lot in front of you, forcing you to hit the brakes to avoid rear-ending him or her.
Courteous driving is moving smoothly with the pack and not holding other people up behind you.
All good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 AM
 
470 posts, read 638,229 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceandel View Post
Sacramento drivers are aggressive and rude. But I think drivers in some Asian countries are worse.
I haven't had the opportunity to visit any Asian countries. I have visited many countries that Asians visit too. Without casting dispersions across an entire ethnicity, in my experience the Chinese tourist is THE WORST... that goes for their driving too, South Koreans are well behaved and generally courteous, as are Japanese.

That said, Londoners can be aggressive, while the French (non- Parisians) are generally patient.

But I go back to what I said originally: if you can navigate California's cities and freeways, you can drive any where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2019, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Newark, CA
2,290 posts, read 5,062,259 times
Reputation: 3666
I'm from the Bay Area and spend a lot of time visiting family/friends in the Sacramento area. I see noticeable differences in the general driving styles of the regions. I actually feel that Bay Area drivers tend to drive too slow and also have a passive-aggressive driving style. Even when there's not much traffic and people can go the speed limit they tend to drive slow and without any real sense of urgency. In the East Bay where I'm at, people also seem to be legitimately ignorant and unaware about right of way rules and rules of the road in general. The drivers are slow, timid and unaware of how their driving is affecting other drivers. I have to drive extra defensively everywhere I go.



In the Sacramento area I find that people tend to drive a lot faster and "with purpose". They also seem to have a better grasp for the rules of the road. I've always tended to attribute the faster driving due to the lack of freeway network in most of the surrounding areas. I find that I almost entirely drive on local roads to get from point A to point B when I'm in the area. Streets are wide and traffic is much less congested than Bay Area roads and I think it causes people to speed more. In the Bay Area almost every city and town has a state highway or freeway running through it or at least close by. I prefer the drivers in your guys' area!

Last edited by mstnghu2; 12-12-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top