Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,001 times

Advertisements

Do they exist and how did you exactly determine if the real estate agent was any good or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
What makes an agent good or bad depends on what you need from an agent. Lets say you are new to the area with kids and a limited budget, An agent who has a pretty good idea of both school tests scores and real estate prices can be really helpful in directing you were to look. A fixer upper home could be a deal or a boondoggle. Having a good working knowledge of how difficult and expensive it is to make various repairs can be the difference between creating sweat equity and just buying someone else's problem. Sometimes they offer you local knowledge, downtown Sacramento has both a high water table and basements. Knowing which areas tend to have problems with flooding or mold as a consequence is useful. Some agents are patient willing to show you to a lot of different homes and some ignore what you want and try to sell what they like.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:35 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
What makes an agent good or bad depends on what you need from an agent. Lets say you are new to the area with kids and a limited budget, An agent who has a pretty good idea of both school tests scores and real estate prices can be really helpful in directing you were to look. A fixer upper home could be a deal or a boondoggle. Having a good working knowledge of how difficult and expensive it is to make various repairs can be the difference between creating sweat equity and just buying someone else's problem. Sometimes they offer you local knowledge, downtown Sacramento has both a high water table and basements. Knowing which areas tend to have problems with flooding or mold as a consequence is useful. Some agents are patient willing to show you to a lot of different homes and some ignore what you want and try to sell what they like.
The OP asks a good question that's relevant to buyers nation-wide, and that's not easy to answer, IMO. I think the main concern on the part of buyers is: how do you find an honest agent who looks out for your interests, rather than simply working to conclude a sale, almost any sale, so they can get their commission and move on to the next client. How do you identify those people (among many claiming to be buyers' agents), who will tell you whether a property is over-priced for the local market, or might point out signs of some kind of inherent issue (water damage, or whatever), rather than glossing over everything to facilitate the sale?

I've never known any agents who operate that way. I don't think there's any way to identify them (if they even exist, and aren't merely the product of buyers' wishful thinking), unless you're plugged in to the local grapevine via some friends or relatives in the area.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:01 PM

The problem is buying a new home without an agent is challenging. Yes, I can find my own inspector, RE attorney, escrow and financing but getting access to view properties and submit offer is what I need to do. The last agent was so-so and she did drive me around to properties and do niceties like buy coffee or lunch but then I never heard back from said agent.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:53 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Interview the agent. Ask questions like how many clients they are working with at the time. How much of their business is from buyers. How well do they know the area. How do they communicate with buyers and how often.

More importantly, make sure the agent interviews you to get a solid understanding of your timeline, your needs and desires for purchasing, your timeline and your financial qualifications. That discussion will lead to a much better result and will make you happier with your agent!

Old 12-14-2019, 12:41 AM

Ok but my question is how as there are literally THOUSANDS in just Sacramento area alone.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:58 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
They are no different than used car salesmen. They are just selling used houses. It's all sales. It's more important for you to know what you want, and what you are willing to pay. That will make you and your realator's lives easier.

Just like buying a car. If you know what you want and what it is worth, ultimately you are in and out of the dealership. The business has made money and you can go about your life. Everyone is happy. Even if you make it clear that you are standing your ground and wont haggle. Eventually they take the offer, if they can "work the numbers".

You go to the dealer, don't know what you want or what it is worth. You will either get ripped off or the car sales person will get sick of dealing with you and will let you just buy without offering much input. Homes are the same way.

I personally watch out for the slick, greaseball, sleazy vibe. I tell people what I want, how much I have to spend, and that it is not negotiable. They have a brief moment to get their affairs in order, or I tell them I will gladly go to their nearest competitor. That usually snaps sales people to attention and they put their professional persona on.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:10 AM

True so why use one then? Seems like they are going extinct with online websites like Zillow and Redfin that do the work of RE agents in the past. I may just do that instead, find house online, view it and make offer. Seems easier to me.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Ok but my question is how as there are literally THOUSANDS in just Sacramento area alone.
Ask your friends. Go to open houses in neighborhoods where you’re interested in buying and see if the agent there is professional and responsive. Or contact me, I’ll hook you up with someone who knows your area.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:37 AM

The last one bailed on me after a while. She was only showing me crappy run down homes under 500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento