U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 680 times

Advertisements

We're a couple currently working at UC Davis, and we have around a 60 plus mile commute. We really want to move west of Davis and cut our commute way down.

We're looking at homes and Davis and I like that I can bicycle everywhere but you can't get a whole lot of house in our budget. We would be downsizing probably by at least one bedroom and 100 to 500 square feet.

However we can get a larger home then we currently have in the other towns.

We do have one school-age child and one planned soon but I understand that working in Davis gives you a really good shot at the school district. also some areas of woodland seem to have access to a very good elementary school.

Woodland real estate is kind of confusing to us at the moment because things will sit for months or disappear in a day.

Everything in Dixon seems to be in foreclosure.

Vacaville is probably too far, and I have split custody with someone that lives in natomas so it makes that a little more difficult.

Has anyone faced a similar dilemma?

For what it's worth we ruled out new construction entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 06:45 AM

851 posts, read 279,090 times
This is kind of a tough one.
I work with several people that live in the Vacaville/Dixon area.
They have been there for as long as I have been where I’m at and they are paid well.
We are talking 35 years.
Their buy in was about 30 percent less at that time
One guy in particular (my supervisor) shared his info with me and I with him.
His investment has not grown much in all this time.
There are foreclosures there for a reason.
If it was me and I had to live there to be close to a good job I would buy something that stands out, like a property with acreage.
I would suck it up to the point of being in chains if the work was steady.
If you get a “run of the mill” place your investment will disappoint you.
Your home should and will be your largest investment.
Do it right.
Good luck to you guys.
Andy.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:03 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,000,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoburn View Post
We're a couple currently working at UC Davis, and we have around a 60 plus mile commute. We really want to move west of Davis and cut our commute way down.

We're looking at homes and Davis and I like that I can bicycle everywhere but you can't get a whole lot of house in our budget. We would be downsizing probably by at least one bedroom and 100 to 500 square feet.
Yes, Davis real estate is crazy high, and probably will stay that way for a while. You might try buying a condo to stay in the school district and work up from there, but it will mean being cramped.

Quote:
However we can get a larger home then we currently have in the other towns.

We do have one school-age child and one planned soon but I understand that working in Davis gives you a really good shot at the school district. also some areas of woodland seem to have access to a very good elementary school.

Woodland real estate is kind of confusing to us at the moment because things will sit for months or disappear in a day.
I lived in Davis until my youngest graduated from high school, then sold my Davis condo and bought a single family house in Woodland. I sold that house in 2017. The buyers sold it again last year for 20% more than what they paid me for it. So yeah, the Woodland market has been rising rapidly because people are being priced out of Davis. The desirable parts of Woodland are the west and southwest areas, and the new developments along Pole Line Road. These will sell quickly and at higher prices. You have to be careful in parts of the north side and the east side near the railroad tracks.

If I had small children in Woodland, I'd look into some of the private school options.

Quote:
Everything in Dixon seems to be in foreclosure.
Have you considered Winters at all?

Quote:
I have split custody with someone that lives in natomas
Then Woodland makes even more sense. PM me if you want the name of a good real estate agent.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:45 PM

140 posts, read 126,755 times
The school district in Davis allows transfers from other nearby cities so that may help...

https://www.djusd.net/cms/one.aspx?pageId=19831351

Old 02-02-2020, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 680 times
I have considered winters but there's not really a whole lot coming up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or